Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J

Looks like I'm going back in

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

If it runs dry, you're screwed also. We are living this with you, thank you. Stay strong, the ends are worth the means. Hope the hole is easy to get to. You've been on the prayer list, nobody ever get's off.

Jason, was following this in the other thread I think, was it spinal fluid or built up fluid from the surgery that hadn't been absorbed by the body.

Either way it sucks that it wasn't drained originally I had a Drain for the first 4 days until it was no longer flushing and was told to look out for any excessive puffyness or swelling with discharge.

Keep you head up and I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Dave Sr.

Hang in there, Jason. We all go through hard times of one type or another. Just keep your dukes up and hang in there. We'll catch you on the next cast.

-2bigsteve

P.S. Make sure your hospital gown's back flap is closed. I hear it can get mighty drafty back there. smile.gif

View PostJason, was following this in the other thread I think, was it spinal fluid or built up fluid from the surgery that hadn't been absorbed by the body.

Either way it sucks that it wasn't drained originally I had a Drain for the first 4 days until it was no longer flushing and was told to look out for any excessive puffyness or swelling with discharge.

Keep you head up and I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Dave Sr.

Looks like it may have been both. Mostly fluid from the surgery and some CSF. Time will tell. H had a Lumbar drain in place for the first 3 days and it was removed after it slowed to a trickle. It did produce and unusually large amount of fluid so that may have been an indicator of things to come. The fluid on my back did not become apparent until 3 days after the removal of the drain. The headaches and fever like symptoms (chills/sweating) started the week before the surgery and got much worse after the surgery.

If I were a betting man I would bet on a CSF leak due to a fall down the basement stairs a month agao. That is when this all started. I think the surgery just exacrbated it. I tol the doc that much, let's see if I am right...

I'mstill draining into the bag stgrapped to my leg. I would not be surprised to have to drain some off to make room before Monday's office visit.It already leaked in bed and made a mess redface.gifcwm31.gifredface.gif

The chills and sweating are not gone and the headache remains but they have been reduced in their severity so my fingers are crossed.

For the time being, I'll just keep rolling with the punches.

Please,keep me off the roster. It's just a cameo appearance biggrin.gif

No way do I want to become a regular like you tongue.gif

Jason any heavy antibiotics? seems like you might have an infection as well. Lets pray you don't they can be very bad make sure they do a blood test for WBC/RBC probably a full panel and have them culture the fluid to make sure it's not a staff or one of many things hopitals are known for. One of the major reasons I leave ASAP as long as I can stand and walk 6 feet to my own bathroom I'm gone. Thats what loving wifes and concerned Moms are for.

Dave Sr.

Good Luck

Forgot one question if it was a spinal fluid leak it waould disapate when you lie down, when I had a Myelogram back when I had a leak for about 2 1/2 weeks and it was horrible unless I stayed in bed and didn't move my head as soon as I got up horrible headache to the point of upck.gif Hope the visit goes well but ask questions and demand answers.

Dave Sr.

No infection but I'm on another dose of antibiotics to be safe.

Yes,lying down relieves the headache. Standing is not a problem oddly enough but sitting for any length of time results in a skull splitting pain that just won't go away.

The fever like symptoms (chills/sweating~~~~~~~) are now gone and just the headache remains and it is not tolerable.

I found that if I turn the drain off, the headache lessens in severity. I'll know more on Monday but my money is on a spinal leak that is persisting.

I was given saline solution in 10 ml syringes and was instructed to flush the drain once per day with two vials. Pushing 20 ml into the drain and into the incision resulted in a terrible back ache and another headache last night. I'm not sure I want to repeat that so I may do 10 ml at separate intervals. I was supposed to call gthe doc if pain persisted but I have not yet. Thye family can use a couple days of no hospital visits and I'm sure the surgeon could use a break as well. I'll hold off until my appointment on Monday if at all possible.

The drain is still leaking fluid and collectring in the bag strapped to my thigh and as long as I continue to feel like this (improved greatly) I'll countmy blessings and be thankfulI feel better.

View PostHey Jay, you know we're all pulling for you!

I agree Christmas in the hospital is not the most desirable thing in the world. but if means that you'll be here for many more Christmas' then it sure is worth it!

Striper's right jay. Better to spend Christmas in the hospital than in the funeral parlor! Get well soon.