Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KeysKid

Washing breathable water proof clothing?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I heard that regular soap will actually strip the garments waterproofing away and clog the tiny pores that are built into the clothing which allow it to "breath"...Any one have a product that they recommend to wash their breathable foul weather gear? Mine's gettin a lil' funky! biggrin.gif I guess im just looking for general maintence to keep it breathable amd dry....Thanks in Advance.

KeysKid,

Do a google search for "Sierra Designs", click the link for it, click the USA flag, then "mens clothing", then "research center", then "care". You'll see info for all or most types of waterproof clothing.

Bob

Check out Nik Wax, they have a non detergent cleaner for waterproof breathables. I've used it on waders, and you get cleaning without suds, the garment rinses out very easily. I have seen this product carried at EMS, and Nik Wax has their own website.

Check out Nik Wax, they have a non detergent cleaner for waterproof breathables. I've used it on waders, and you get cleaning without suds, the garment rinses out very easily. I have seen this product carried at EMS, and Nik Wax has their own website.

Thank! just what I was looking for.

Fenderbender

Kid,

Yes, washing will eventually strip away the chemical used to assist with waterproofing. I found that I had to re-treat a few times.

May I ask what you use to re-treat it?

There are two products that I know of that will restore the water repellency. One is Revivex, which is produced by Gore. It's around $10-$12 for a 5 oz. spray bottle. The rub with Revivex is that you're supposed to throw the garment into the dryer to set the repellency, hardly the ticket for bootfoot waders. I spoke with them by phone, and the alternative was to iron it in with a cool iron. I just don't trust taking an iron to my Simms waders. Nik Wax also has a repellent, I think it's called TX Direct. You spray it on and they claim you can air dry it. I've used it with decent results, although it may not last quite as long between applications if you air dry it. On the plus side, you get 10 oz. for what you pay for 5 oz. of Revivex.