Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishing17402

Pictures of Fish and Straighten Hooks.

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I want to see hooks that fish have starighten andf hopefully there is a fish along with it. I and I am sure a lot of other can not pitcure a fish bending a 4X VMC and not have the line break. Lets see the before I have to call up myth busters and have them prove this myth wrong. And I am not talking about the hooks that are obviously under gunned for the fishing that is being done,

Well, generally if a fish straightens the hooks out you're not going to have a picture of said fish because it got away when it starightened the hooks. wink.gif I think they bend the most when it's in the corner of the stripers mouth and they are gator rolling on the surface, but i've also had fish flatten out hooks. The only explanation i could see for the flattened hooks is the fish banging it's head on the rocks to knock them loose. all this said, when i lose a fish and my lure comes back with bent hooks, they are usually more twisted and flattened, rarely if ever do they straighten. I use either 15 or 20 lb Maxima and bend more hooks than i'd like every year on 30+ class fish, so it is clearly possible. Shoot, i've even had some really feisty 15-20 lb. schoolies bend a hook or two, nothing lightewr than 3x either.

Most heavy duty hooks are not straightened by the fish just pulling in the opposite direction, but by the leverage the fish can generate on the hook in conjunction with the plug. Depending on the design of the plug, fulcrums can be created that can bend a hook with only modest force applied.

Seems you think a fish bending out 4X VMCs is a myth. Although I don't have photos, I have quite a few witnesses on several occasions of 3/0 4X VMC trebles bent out by big fish (in this case roosterfish and crevalle). How is this possible? I'll paste in something I recently wrote in the lure builders forum about trashed split rings and you can traslate this to bent out HEAVY DUTY hooks:

I've seen quite a few 6 - 7 1/2 very heavy duty split rings trashed by the big and hard fighting fish we catch on the Mexican Pacific. Consider this. When the hook is embedded with the EYE AND SPLIT RING inside a fish's mouth and the majority of the rest of the plug is outside the mouth, then the plug serves as a LEVER on the split ring. The longer the plug, the longer the lever it provides. Think in terms of a screwdriver opening a paint can if you like. The force on the split ring is MANY TIMES the force on the line!! You bet there can be in tremendous force on a split ring when you are pulling with much much less force on the line!

An inhaled hook/split ring + a long plug laying mostly outside the mouth = trashed split rings (or cut hook eye) and there is little you can do about it. It's the nature and hazards of hunting really big fish and tweaking brands/styles of split rings ain't gonna matter (provided they are as heavy as you can get away with).

So, the edge of the fish's mouth acts like a fulcrum and the more disparity between the short end of the lever (part of the lure within the fishes mouth) and the long end of the lever (the part of the lure outside the fish's mouth) the more mechanical advantage there is to the lever. The fish will provide several angles of force through out the fight. In some circumstances there are tremendous forces on the hook while the pull on the line remains under its breaking limit. In these cases, either the hook is torn out of the tissues, the split ring is trashed, or the hook bends out (even 4X VMCs). - HPD

You are right I do think it is a myth mainly when we are talking stripers and blues. Second you would not necesarily (Sp?) lose a fish if the hook is straight because the are more that one hook on a treble and most plugs have two hoos on them = 6 barbs. It is just hard for more me to grasp this whole idea of a hook being strightened out and your line not breaking along with the rod.

View PostI want to see hooks that fish have starighten andf hopefully there is a fish along with it. I and I am sure a lot of other can not pitcure a fish bending a 4X VMC and not have the line break. Lets see the before I have to call up myth busters and have them prove this myth wrong. And I am not talking about the hooks that are obviously under gunned for the fishing that is being done,

I've seen a fish bend out a forged steel Mustad 7/0 jig hook. Well, I saw the hook after the fish trashed it---I wish I could have gotten to see the fish that did it. wink.gif

100_2606.jpg

Still think it's a myth? cwm13.gif

I've never saved my trashed, straightened trebels, but i've had more than my share, 4x VMC's among them. Some of those were straightened by bass and some by 12-15lb bluefish. It's all about leverage (50lb braid and a tight drag also helps...).

Here's one for you guys.

I had just picked up fly fishing/fly tying and this is one of my first fly's i had tied that caught. I hooked a keeper size fish and I suppose the way it was hooked and the use of a crappy hook this was the out come! After about 4 minutes of fighting the fish and 15 feet from my feet!!! cwm27.gif 3-4x hooks from now on!

bent.gif

4/0 4x VMC 34# fish, not straight but certainly bent.

This 41# fish snapped a prong off of the 4/0 4x VMC that it was caught on, I saved that hook too but I can't find it.

View PostI want to see hooks that fish have starighten andf hopefully there is a fish along with it. I and I am sure a lot of other can not pitcure a fish bending a 4X VMC and not have the line break. Lets see the before I have to call up myth busters and have them prove this myth wrong. And I am not talking about the hooks that are obviously under gunned for the fishing that is being done,

I have had it done so there is no need to call myth busters. I have witnesses. 4/0 4x VMC treble on the back of a needle - two of the three straightened out - It happens.

Fish will trash any hook. I don't care what it's made of, if a decent fist takes your lure it will sooner or later trash the hook. Bass have a tendency to head for cover when hooked, and I suspect they bump the lure into the bottom to get free. Also the angle of the lure in the fishes mouth plays a big part as HPD mentioned. I'm not going to try and convince you. Get out a fish 4-6 nights/days a week and you will see it for yourself. If you don't have time for that then get a 2x4 and hook a lure's treble into one side and twist it around the 2x4 you will see how the point acts under a load.

Here's a plug I brought home after my last trip. It's going on the wall as an honor to "old war horses". You can see the 3/0 4X VMC treble has been bent back in after being straightened. The lower hook is a bit "square" and I didn't get the upper one quite in proper alignment. - HPD

BTW - Mr. SuperStrike...could you send me a new plug? It seems the fish have scratched this one up a bit. biggrin.gif