Hot Rodding a Newell for TOG

Rate this topic

Mike

On 12/8/2008 at 2:51 PM, Billy 40 said:

This is one of the bette rperforming Newells around. ITs been modded by EC Newellman, who fixed teh bridge so that when you go from freespool to engaged, when you turn teh handle it's a smooth transition. Most Newells out the box are junky when it comes to that, and it sort of grinds for a few turns before engaging. He also did several otehr things to teh drag plate, degreased & regreased it, swapped bearings, and put 3.6 gears in it. The only mods I did was teh Red Aluminum form Nitrofishproducts, who is long gone form EBAY.

I am pretty sure I have a machined Penn handle retrofitted to fit on a NEwell shaft, I thinka Penn 300 handle, I honesstly dont' know - Howie & someone else were machining them for a while, tehy are very popular and extrmely comfy with teh big barrel shape

On 12/8/2008 at 2:53 PM, Triet said:

Cute reel. A lot of bling that is impossible to get anymore. EC is still around, running his own fishing website, and probably a great bet to hotrod a Newell if you feel like taking a drive to Brooklyn. The handle that you talking about is the same size as a 4/0 Special Senator handle with different hole sizes. 26-56 maybe?

On 12/8/2008 at 5:12 PM, Triet said:

Well EC does have posts all over the internet where he tells you how to service reels. I've watched him a few times. He has or had a ton of Newell parts. When he sees a problem, he either switches parts, hits the part with crocus cloth or adds a little oil. Or all of the above. It ain't rocket science, but if you don't have parts of many vintages, you are at a huge disadvantage. BTW, I have never seen him lube a drag. He will buff and flatten metal washers, and of course put in HT100s.

Newell run well fairly dry. Open up a new one. Dry as a bone. Don't soak it in lube like a Penn. Then oil won't get on your drags.

While I am not much of a tog fisher, I do own a couple pimped out Newels. These are my favorite reels to jig and bottom fish with for cod, haddock, pollack, Black Seabass etc...They are a joy to use, are light weight and cast well. For me, they also have the appropriate gear ratio. 

Yes EC is around and is a great guy who is not only a Newell expert, but is also a strong advocate working hard to support anglers' rights and fair and sustainable regulations.

Other places to look for Newell mods and service include Tiburon, Supertune reels, Cortez Conversions, Bobby Spencer / OE Tackle, Bryan Young, Alan Tani etc...

Respectfully,

JD