Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LIStriper

Sometimes 5 yards does matter.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I know this had been covered before. However, my question relates to a real world condition fishable rod not on the grass. After 4 ½ hours of casting recently where distance really mattered I was wondering if there was a better rod than what I was using.

For 1 ½ oz I used a GSB 132 1L for 2 3/8 a 1M.

All things being the same how much more distance would a Arra get me?

I think the arra is designed to give you the same distance with less effort. Now if you incorporate Ron's casting technique as well, you will see a difference on both rods. my .02

ErikT

Since you're from LI, you're no doubt fishing some mishigas rig like a VS or Z series with fireline. Get a foreign reel with some 30 power pro or ripcord and you'll be sharpening hooks while you wait for splashdown. cwm27.gif

For lures in the 2.5 to 3.5 oz range, the Lamiglas/Arra 1322 is IMHO the longest casting "fishing" rod on the market...

But long distance casting and how good you are at it, is relative to skill no matter what rod/reel combo you use... The Arra 1322 in one set of hands will cast X distance while in another set of hands it will cast Y distance...

The basics for a long cast are:

1. Good technique that generally comes w/ being diligent about achieving long cast, understand the dynamics of long casting and get your head into the details of it, practice and watching/learning from others...maybe a video from Ron Arra, Breakaway, Hatteras Outfitters, etc...

2. A longer rod will generally get you greater tip velocity...greater tip velocity during the cast, allows for greater energy transferred to the lure and a further cast...

3. Conventional reel will generally outcast a spinner! The best reel for a long cast IMO is an Abu Ambassadeur...and you want a level wind like the 6500CS Rocket...add to this reel a ball bearing worm gear, ball bearing idler cog and ABEC 7 spool bearings and this reel will outcast everything in its class...I guarantee you will add at least 25 yards, if not more, to your cast w/ just this reel alone...

Poppy

Nothing against the Lami's , I even fished with a 1L yesterday . But if absolute distance is required then other rods are required , a couple I would consider would be the Breakaway 123 , new Breakaway LDX and my own favourute fishing rod the Zziplex Powertex Bass . And again absolute distance reel wise would be something from the daiwa emblem family or Basia or shimano aero technium with 20lb powerpro or 10-14lb fireline .

And an outfit like this could be had for less than a van staal and custom lami .

FYI, I just purchased a Japanese market Shimano Commander 400. Unfortunately there was a bit of confusion, I had expressed interest in the Basia, and both were shipped.

If anyone is interested in the Daiwa Tournament Basia 45 QD II Type 5 (brand new. I haven't even picked it up yet) you can have it for about 25% less than on the sites that deal in them.

Here's a picture of Sg Sloughs Basia

basia.jpg

http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547...ic/7/3335.html

Fred,

believe it or not, I would say the 1L would cast that stuff maybe a little better. The Arra is effortless, It seems like the harder I try to cast mine, I get less distance.

I think a good lesson was learned the other night.. if you cant reach them with your rod, and the plug you think they want.. put a plug on that will reach them.. you know what Im talking about. That was great thinking by Bassholl... He put a plug on that could cast better into the wind and had fish on it.. I never would have thought that at that spot those fish would hit that plug. goes to show you, get something out to them and you never know.

or you coulda thrown Rubbah on and caught em too wink.gif

I'm not sure the rod is the biggest distance quotient. Without any previous experience I could quickly cast 2 1/2 to 3 ounce lures 100 yards (measured). I did this with a "budget" 12' Daiwa Emblem rod. I think the biggest distance factor is an aerodynamic lure designed for distance. Using PowerPro line correctly with the right reel is also a big factor (notice I said correctly). I'm sure a new fancy rod will add some yards but the most gaines might be made elsewhere. I don't say this from vast experience but I think I'm throwing a long way by virtue of these non-rod elements.

That said, I'm building a fancy new rocket launcer rod biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif . But, only after maxing out the rest of the rig.

The really nice looking import reels just would not hold up (for me). First would be the water and sand and lastly the bail.

After spending 12 hours casting with two other guys (both IMO good casters) we all had good (some extraordinary) and bad casts at about the same distance.

IMO, the 1M & 1L have the ability to cast further than I have the technique. I will tweak my reel position; work on more effective rod and lure speeds and maximizing leverage during the cast.

Oh yeah, use the cheater plug whenever necessary!

Before I would spend a few hundred dollars , I would spend a few bucks on on the right distance lures . The right lures would include a bunch of metals , like hopkins shorties , kastmasters , Sumo jigs , bigger bucktails , roberts lures and a selection of big poppers/pencils and needlefish that will fit the bill for distance .

hey conman..

thats all good but every lure you mention is a Day lure (except for needles).. what do you do at night??? thats the question.. the night LIS is talking about, a "distance" lure did the trick.. but, thats not a given.. Ive seen fish caught at night on tins, pencil poppers, etc but they arent your best bet..

as a fisherman, you need to decide.. do I try to pick a fish off in a spot where you can clearly see that the fish arent present? or do you put a plug that probably wont work and shouldnt work under the conditions in a place where you know the fish are??? tuff question, there isnt a right answer cause at any given time, a fish could pull out of a spot and move closer,or a stupid fish could hit a plug he aint suppoesed to hit under the conditions..

its a tuff thing, but the only answer is try everything and maybe you get lucky..

Li Striper,

What do you consider long distance. That really is pretty central to the answer.

Casting ability and a style that not only suits you but also the blank design is also obviously important. You have to overlay on top of that safety as well. If you are in a line up then even a semi pendulum type cast is out of the question.

Both rods you have are good sticks that perform well with simple casting styles. What I would call an overhead thump. Others call it a snap cast. Rods like this have great advantages over stiffer designs that only really load up well with more exagerated casting techniques and actually can perform less well with say the snap cast.

There has to be a comprimise between distance and the rods ability to play fish and have the guts to land them. The 1M for LI is a pretty good tool in that regard IMHO.

You may pick up an extra yard or two with a conventional reel providing the lure is at least 1.5 oz and a large spinning reel that has an excellent spool and line lay may get you a few yards as well. Thin line 30 lb braid may add yet another couple of yards for the same casting effort, but offset against that is it may tangle more easily and is right on the limit for 2.375oz plugs.

Gear upgrades are IMO only tuning and will add little distance on the beach to an already good setup that you have.

I use a 6 year old Zziplex modified Lite Bass and an old beat up VS 200 loaded with 50lb power pro. The line lay on this reel is absolutally appalling but it seems to make little differnce to my distance cast. I am throwing 1.25oz to 3oz with this rod. It/I seems to cast as far as anyone else on the point or beach so I don't worry. Best of all it keeps on fishing when the going gets grim.

I fear that there will be times when the fish are always going to be just outside our casting range. It comes with the teritory of surf casting.

I would not worry. I bet you are casting as far as the next Guy.

Tight Lines

Mike O.

I missed the whole night part of the question . I was just giving a rough guide , not knowing the specifics doesn't help . Are we talking casting a lure 130 yards or 85yards . Whatever the distance you have to reach the fish to have a shot at them. Once I can reach the fish I will try whatever reaches them to see which they will hit . Night time I am usually not trying to cast as far anyhow , so my night lures would include gibbs style bottle plugs , all kind of needles , darters , bucktails and I still try roberts at night , you can swim them subsurface by reeling real slow or fish them like a jerk bait .One other option wopuld be to forgo the lure altogether and just use a plain lead to deliver a teaser . Just floating some ideas here for others to try if they get a the same situation