Whats the wierdest thing you have caught while fishing

Rate this topic

Clouserkid1

A 60-lb sturgeon on an umbrella rig

A 30-lb monkfish on an umbrella rig

The reminents of a lost string of lobster pots (3 of them) on a bunker spoon and there were six big lobsters still in them. They had tags with the owner's info on them so I contacted him and returned them...without the lobsters.

A dead body off Norton's Point while jigging for bluefish. Actually didn't catch it. It floated up to the boat with just the ass sticking out of the water. Nasty. Arm came off when the NYC Marine Police tried to lift it out of the water.

A bat on a dry fly while trout fishing at dusk.

Can't beat the dead body C-Fish came across but while I was trolling in my kayak for flounder I snagged a gigantic dead rotting ray that once I got it up to my kayak looked like it had been hit by a boat prop. Didn't want to touch it and couldn't get the hook out so I just cut around my hook. Left a little chunk of ray on the hook but it didn't help me catch anything better.

Pitchin shrimp under a dock, I hooked into the ugliest fish Ive ever seen. My two buddies were so freaked out by it that he ran in to get the camera while we tried to land it on the sea wall. It had slanted eyes, a round face with a perfect circle shaped mouth and it spit a stream of water at us. The weird part was that it had two legs and feet. It entire belly was creamsicle color and it had wings and it's skin was as smooth a wet stone. I looked it up to see if it was a batfish, look similar but was caught in 4' of water. My buddy Deniro calls it the power plant fish to this day. It freed itself before we could get a picture of it.

What you do with your time is more important than the amount of time you have.

lobster trap at the race for me as well. also hooked something trolling an umbrella there once, right along the dropoff. fought it for maybe 10 minutes assuming it was a lobster pot, and we just wanted to get our umbrella rig back. got it close enough to see color, and it looked about 5 feet long, and tan, with something chartreuse in color at on end of it. felt one good shake, and the umbrella popped out, and whatever it was sank back down the depths. never did know if i had something alive or not, but the final tug near the boat convinces me it was alive. to this day, i remember the sight of it as it vaguely came into view and dissapeared. i would kill to find out what is is, even if it was a piece of trash. thats "the one that got away i guess"biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

FISH ON!!!!!!!

I like turtles

Ditch troll once again

Caught a bat one night flyfishin' fresh water - that was pretty weird, but the freakiest was fishin' the beach one night at Barnegat light w/ my best fishin' buddy - He and his wife were in the process of adopting a baby girl, we were debating the pro's and con's - when he reeled in to check his bait, he had hooked a pink baby bootie - honest to God truth - one of the freakiest things I've ever had happen !!!!

I was fly fishing some flats. I was just blind casting (slow day) when I went tight no fight, thought I hooked some a branch or seaweed. Got it close and it was a purse with with a liscence still inside.headscratch.gif

I ended up calling the lady who owned the purse apparently she got mugged only a couple days before.

I returned it and it belonged to one of the nicest old lady's I have ever met.

I was fishing on a jetty and my brother who's afraid of jetty'skooky.gif was on the beach. I looked down between the rocks and saw a suit jacket. I reached and got it, went through the pockets...nothing in them. I continued to fish and now I'm looking in the rocks and see a briefcase. I managed to get it from the rocks and it was locked. I bring it up to the beach and show my brother. We decide to take it the local police station and have them open it. That lasted about 2 minutes. Thinking it was a briefcase full of diamonds I proceed to cut out the hinges. I open it and what do I find...Pens and pencilsconfused.gif ...still looking for that briefcase full of diamonds.