Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lightj12

Grease or oil for anti-reverse bearing?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Having anti-reverse troubles w/ a Penn 955; I recently greased the AR bearing and suspect that it is hindering the locking action of the bearing. Is oil the way to go here? Thanks.

this one is tough. many manufacturers used to install them dry. you could tell who they were because the roller bearings and tubes quickly rusted together. shimano then started using their teflon grease, applying just a thin film. accurate uses corrosion x, and alot of it!!! don't know about the others.

what i currently do is add corrosion x to the roller bearing, then run a small cloth through the bearing, twisting it to soak up the excess corrosion x. i also apply a thin coat to the roller inner tube. no matter what you do, nothing will work forever. the problem is the roller pins in the anti-reverse roller bearings. they are all plain steel, not stainless!!!!!!!!!!mad.gif

I felt compelled to add that some time ago, on a fishing forum, someone posted that one-way bearings should not be lubricated.

I can't imagine why they thought so. I can't imagine either why the idea has spread so far.

You can still see that idea on a lot of fishing boards. It isn't true.

These bearings (really not a bearing at all-- they usually do not carry load*) have a number of small pins that have a great deal of movement. Further, they are usually not available in stainless steel. They are prone to rust. Housing, rollers, springs, all of it.**

Light oil or light grease helps ease the movement of the rollers, as well as prevent corrosion.

For this reason, these bearings are supplied from bearing manufacturers with light grease or oil, and are recommended to be maintained this way.

See maintenance info from bearing manufacturers such as KOYO or INA / Torrington.

Heavy, thick grease may somewhat hinder the proper action of the rollers.

*Okay, some can / do.

**Except the ones made of plastic, obviously.

When I worked at Xerox in the '80's we started making machines with one-way roller bearings in several areas. The field techs, like us wanted to be able to "lube" them. Stuff like high sulfur machine oil did not work, neither did Tri-Flo or WD40. We found Marvel Mystery Oil and Penn oil (that came with reels) in the tubes worked well. The Manufacturer of the parts would only recommended replacement when they started to malfunction. The Teflon in Tri-Flo caused the bearings to work both ways, defeating the purpose.