Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HaysWalt

Hey Karen- any inside info on the NJ Slot yet?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Figured you might know-

The meeting to decide New Jersey's striped bass fate will be held Tuesday afternoon at the Radisson Hotel Old Town Alexandria, 625 First St., Alexandria, Va.

For more info- see Feetinsand's post in the NJ Forum. What a team we make FIS biggrin.gif

Yup...until the ASMFC releases their press release. But there was a was a move by NJ to move more from their com quota to their slot limit, as I recall. They are seeking CQ w/ much discussion on producer areas. I'm glad bass are just an important hobby for me!

redface.gifredface.gif

The TC will conference call and address the issue. The Board will meet again to vote on NJ's proposal at the May meeting. But the posturing has already started eek.gif

There was concern about fishing on bass in the winter off NC and the fact that the MRFSS doesn't start until March...plus an issue dealing with recs fishing the EEZ (including head boats) in violation of the rules (26 given tickets...totaling about $1,000) mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif . At least the hooking mortality is lower at colder temps clapping.gif

Karen can fill you in more..... cwm33.gif

Yup...until the ASMFC releases their press release. But there was a was a move by NJ to move more from their com quota to their slot limit, as I recall. They are seeking CQ w/ much discussion on producer areas. I'm glad bass are just an important hobby for me!

redface.gifredface.gif

The TC will conference call and address the issue. The Board will meet again to vote on NJ's proposal at the May meeting. But the posturing has already started eek.gif

There was concern about fishing on bass in the winter off NC and the fact that the MRFSS doesn't start until March...plus an issue dealing with recs fishing the EEZ (including head boats) in violation of the rules (26 given tickets...totaling about $1,000) . At least the hooking mortality is lower at colder temps clapping.gif

Karen can fill you in more.....

TimS- I need your help with this guy MDC_2- can you stop him from being so obtuse? He knows the whole story and he won't tell!! crying.gif

HELP!

Gee...if I'm obtuse then what are the mangers...direct? cwm13.gifcwm13.gifcwm13.gif

I can't give you the info you require. Let's see how ASMFC releases the information? Remember, I DON'T do bass....I'm just along for the ride...and happen to be here. Let Karen give you the scoop.

(Ok THAT was obtuse) HappyWave.gif

Gee...if I'm obtuse then what are the mangers...direct? cwm13.gifcwm13.gifcwm13.gif

I can't give you the info you require. Let's see how ASMFC releases the information? Remember, I DON'T do bass....I'm just along for the ride...and happen to be here. Let Karen give you the scoop.

(Ok THAT was obtuse) HappyWave.gif

HappyWave.gifbiggrin.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the ex-commercial quota was not a pawn and that those 310,000 pounds (about 6% of a good NJ twinkie slaughter year) were untouchable?

There isn't any recreational quota - how can commercial pounds be turned into a "quota" that doesn't exist? cwm13.gif

Is it just me or has NJ always desired to to kill every striped bass that dares cross NJ waters? So now with enough yelling, the slot slaughter continues until May - then stall tactics while the legislative process mysteriously never has time to pass the ASMFC required changes. Before yah know it, just like was layed out a month ago NJ will see a whole nother year of slot slaughter. Except this year, it will have been done through deceit and stall tactics.

Next time you plug 3 miles of beach and don't see anything but two hickory shad and a star gazer, at least you'll know whom to thanks cwm13.gif

I'd love to see the other ASMFC states bring suit against the ASMFC for allowing one single state to fish out of compliance but holding the others feet to the fire. Why not? NJ was going to sue the ASMFC to keep the slot...except through the way they are attempting it now, it won't cost a dime and will have the same effect smile.gif I guess if yer in the business of harvest now, worry later, it's good economics...for now frown.gif

I shoulda never read this thread....

TimS

Oh my Tim rolleyes.gif

Welcome to the "real" world of politics where decisions and compromises are handled in "plush" meetings and business suits where the outcome is based on "$$$(*%%#@@*" and not on scientific data or common sense.

AND

MDC_2 I for one applaud you icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

You tried to provide information and immediately came under "attack" so to speak like it is YOUR

fault. I don't know who you are but hang in there and don't let the "elitists" get to ya.

So what do you wanna know? I'm happy to relate anything I do or say. Are you asking, perhaps, what my role is in management?

Not specifically, but I sent you a PM wink.gif

Now it's back to bed- day five- I'll beat this cold yet hammer-time.gif

Tim,

While the matter has been referred to the TC, NJ is still out of compliance given their current regs. With all that finding entails. ASMFC will meet to discuss that issue (today?).

Remember, the TC will comment very soon on the proposal via conference call, and the Board is going to be meeting on NJ proposal in May (same location). Management via the states may seem to move slowly, but it is very much faster then the Councils!

Alexandria is what...a 4-hour ride? Care to come down and make public comment on this issue? The board could use direction!

There was concern about fishing on bass in the winter off NC and the fact that the MRFSS doesn’t start until March

Gee, no wonder why NC has such low bass totals.

I haven't heard anything but I was tied up all day yesterday with non-fishing stuff. I would suspect that Geiser is more tied in with that whole issue as he's been pretty on top of it all along.

And I guess I am confused, but from what Geiser has written, sounds to me like the new rules they're putting in will actually increase the harvest. I'll have to go back and check his columns when I get to work later, but I've gotten the distinct impression that he felt the slot limit actually reduces how many fish are taken. As I recall, it would be two at 28, instead of one at 28 and one at 24.

I don't know for sure. Since the meeting was yesterday, I'm sure John will write about it in Friday's paper. There's some internal stuff going on at work that I can't get into publicly, but suffice it to say I'm hoping for a change for the better in the coming days and weeks. Time will tell.

I'll see what I can find out from John tonight.