nice socks!

e612005.jpg

the Monster Mash

themix.jpg

if I had a dime for every ladle...

f612005.jpg

the Crew

thecrew612005.jpg

Kadir in front,Mike Laptew, Phil Davanzo & Me with the only guy I hangout with who wears an ear ring.

I had a great time with Capt. Mundus, his stories were great, the knowledge he shared that was gathered over the decades was offered freely, and all you had to do was ask!

It was cold, the spring being colder than any on record dimmed any chances of hooking a monster but we gave it our best shot...any offshore trip is a gamble.

It was a trip that will never be repeated, I was happy to share the day with him and the league of extraordinary fishermen!

[ 06-02-2005, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: surfpirate ]

Capt. Mundus is quite a character and has been for the years I have had the privilege to know him.

It was a bit of a reunion, I was first on the Cricket II with him in 1974 and have exchanged emails and calls since his move to Hawaii. When he called and said he was doing a 30th anniversary of Jaws charter, I was in without thinking!

$ 1,800.00 a bit high for a charter but before he left Montauk he was charging $ 3,000.00!!! If you factor in that this was your last chance to fish with him, if you were lucky enough to get onboard, I thought the price was a steal.

Did we catch? 3 blues for all the trouble. but that was secondary to me.

He did not nap, but being 81 years of age, I am not sure how he will hold up over the month of June. Which is why I took an early date, it was more important to me to get to pick his brain before he got too tired.

I hear plenty of flames of the man from people who never met him or judge him for actions done before they were deemed off limits. I respect and love the man, he is to me, what Lefty is to Alberto. I don't judge him. Never have. Never will.

To me, being able to share the Deck of the Cricket II with Capt. Mundus is right up there with being on the Calypso with Capt. Cousteau.

captainandthekid.jpg the Capt & the kid

It was my pleasure to see the Mike, Phil, Kadir and David cross off an item on their "to do" wish lists.

[ 06-04-2005, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: surfpirate ]

very interesting.

now that we all know who deep throat was, maybe you guys were able to explore a 70s era fish story mystery - the real $1,800 question

Did you come away with a factual basis for the Jaws / Benchley / Mundus connection?

Is Mundus the basis for the character Quint in Jaws, or was that character based on Craig Kingsbury of Marthas Vineyard, as suggested on a Jaws web site?

Does his stay include any contact with the author or anyone else involved in the movie? (Spielberg and Roy Scheider live just a short drive from the dock)

Is Mundus the basis for the character Quint in Jaws, or was that character based on Craig Kingsbury of Marthas Vineyard, as suggested on a Jaws web site?

Quints character was based on the 4,500 Great white Mundus caught in 1964. That's where Benchley got the idea. When it came time to make the movie a lot of Craig Kingsbury's lines where used. He started only as an extra, and he talked his way into getting a few lines, and some of the stories he would tell the where so interesting they wrote them into the movie.

I never heard Peter Benchley recognizing Mundus. The best line from Mundus about Benchley's success was -

Benchley never even bought me a cigar, let alone a Cadillac.

Frank believes he is the inspiration for the Quint character and claims he can prove it.

Benchley had been on his boat.

The June 1964 harpooning of a great white, has the basics covered by the novel / movie, he had engine trouble during that fight or chase.

Benchley claims the character was a compilation of different people and fiction.

Frank was not on the USS Indianapolis.

The Orca bears a striking resemblance to the Cricket II of the 1970's.

No one from the movie had ever contacted him.

At this point if he was given credit, I am sure there would be some type of suit for compensation so this will remain another one of those questions that will never be answered.

Many more people have seen Jaws than have read Benchley's original novel.

Quint as depicted in the movie doesn't bear much resemblance to Mundus.

Quint as described in the novel, IMO, is certainly more true to Frank than Robert Shaw's character.

In fact, the book is much different---Hooper is a real preppie scumbag, screws Brody's wife, and dies before Quint does---Quint isn't eaten, but gets tangled in a harpoon line and drowns.