Slick706

Penn 710 made into bailess

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

Step by step here is how i made my 710 bailess without a bailess kit. I ordered parts 33a-722 rotor nut and 24-712 bail which is the bail you need for this not the 710 bail seen in this pic.

Step 1- i cut the bail wire on 24-712 as close as possible so i reduce the amout of filing on the bail. This is the bail i purchased not the existing bail on the 710.

Step 2- i file down the remaining wire and smooth it out with the different bits on my dremel.

Here is what you will have now after the 1st 2 steps. Shown here also is the part 33a-722. It fits the opening on the rotor opposite the bail arm. It still has a hole so i plugged it up with some cilicone

Step 3 - remove the bail nut from the 24-712 and and take off the part that you filed and drilled.

Step 4- remove the bail nut from the existing bail on the 710 and take off the entire bail. Also unscrew the other side of the rotor where the opposite part of the bail is connected to the 710 rotor

here is the parts now that you will have to make the bailess.

step 5- use the existing line roller and cut and filed part of the bail 24-712 along with the bail nut and put it together.

step 6- screw on the assembled bailess on the 710, remove the spring before you do so. Add a washer the this part doesnt move after tightening.

Screw in part 33a-722 to the oppisite side of the rotor for added balance.

here is what the reel will look like. Anyone can do this, its pretty simple and not expensive for the parts. I have yet to use this and test it but hey how bad can it be? biggrin.gif

View Postnice job ...if it works put it in production i'll take two

cwm27.gif Its pretty darn cheap to just get the 2 parts. Im fishing it soon, did some test casts in my yard and it seemed fine. We shall see

Nice pictorial! I like the 33-722 part you added. Your line roller nut looks it could be replaced too since you've replaced some other parts. Enjoy it!

Make sure the roller guide spins freely. That's pretty much the way I've done a few 704's. Watch out for that screw... looks like there are some nicks in it. You don't want that screw super tight. clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

haha cant really see those pics Bill...should have a close up focus on it...the reason im asking is that im looking for sometype of washer or something to fit in there, i have the same on 2 of my 710s but the kit doesnt fit "exactly" and it doesnt sit flush, there is a gap in there and im trying to find something to make it even....ill post a pic tonight when i get home from work