first spey rod!

Rate this topic

Tduffy

Jim

I have a 14 foot prototype CTS that is near to what I think I want from a TH. Wish there was a way I could get it to you safely to try out. Problem is if it gets lost it's the only one out there.

Be interesting if CTS can really get close to Zziplex for surf rods.

UB, Thanks for your casting tips. I Will have to play about to find the ideal head length and weight to match my Sage 9wt. Mostly I don't try and do one back cast and then deliver. Ok we can't haul but we can false cast a couple of times and as you say feed line into the back cast to.

I need more opportunities to get onto a beach to practice. bnack yard casting is so far away from real life fishing.

Mike

UB!

Those OutBound lines Mike had were not overlined because they are SH / AFTM rated. I believe they were not heavy enough. But they are not at their best when long casts are wanted.

For best overall salt performance for 14' #9 TH I would select RIO AFS 9/10 shooting head or AFS OutBound line. They have 40ft head which weights 580gr. Or Vision ACE DH 11/12 Regular shooting head.

Floating or Intermediate is possible to pull directly to back cast and easily shoots at least 50' of running line and does not suffer with 4'' streamers. Heavy weighted fly perhaps has to be roll casted to surface first. Larger flyes might have problem to turn when there is head wind but smaller weighted are fine. Same rules apply here as with SH gear smile.gif

With this rather short head it is possible to cover up to 100' and to turn casting direction fast without tiring yourself using variety of Spey casts. It is possible to learn casting using both sides so wind does not limit fishing too much.

If there is need to OH cast more than 130' I would select at least 9wt 65ft medium belly Spey line and making it a Shooting Head and use Mono- or Ridged running line. There is no better or cheaper line material than Spey lines are for distance fly fishing. It's because they have long bellys and lot of weight.

"Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once" 1939 Lee Wulff

Good morning,

JimDE,

Mate, I have not used a CTS Blank/rod in a Double form, therefore I cannot make a honest comment and I will not comment.

BUT....... CTS Doubles smile.gifsmile.gif

I will use one in the not to distance future, lately my time has been consumed developing a Trout Spey rod in the 5/6w class.

MO,

"back yard casting is so far away from real life fishing"

I am lucky, I guess, I cast and fish almost every day of the year, for some hours a day, and am open minded enough to try almost everything in casting/fishing, the good, all the way though to just wacko ideas.

Crunch,

"Those OutBound lines Mike had were not overlined"

Well MO wrote the following, "but that Sage is just soggy" etc.

To most people that statement would suggest if someone wrote the rod felt soggy, then the rod was over loaded or the rod was faulty, surely ?

And a soggy rod will not cast very well in most people's hands.

Yourself, you just might like a soggy rod, but please be fair, most do not and as far as I know it, most manufactures of rods do not design the rod to be soggy.

"Heavy weighted fly perhaps has to be roll casted to surface first."

Perhaps...perhaps,, they surely do, other wise there is a increased risk of blowing up the rod from deep water loading by most people.

Little flies, even then deep water loading must be conducted with care, by most.

"without tiring yourself using variety of Spey casts."

Sorry Crunch, buddy I just broke up with laughter, because you know very little about Spey or Roll casts to make such a funny statement, do you ?

Because the Spey type cast is all about saving energy, its easy, smooth, fast and effortless thats why to most the Spey type casts look so graceful.

Hey, it would appear I am repeating myself just like F1's post, all over again.

AND progressive loading a SH fly rod is slow, requires a heap of effort, is very tiring, when compaired to a Spey cast.

Yes, progressive loading, is a number of false casts required to load a SH rod before casting, thats back and forward a number of times till a suitable load if felt.

What brand of line I suggested to MO, it doesn't matter what brand, surely, however as MO is British then I thought a British line might have been nice for him to use, sorry.

Myself, I have used a Airflo line, with pleasure and success and therefore felt free to suggest to another caster to use this product.

I would never suggest anything I personally have not used for some hours, to me its all apart of giving an honest and fair answer to a question. Trust you understand ?

And then somewhere from someone we had an idea about a long belly Spey line to be used.... please, there would be massive overloading and of course the dead money wasted with idea, even a mighty huge increase of blowing up the rod.

Short belly type fly lines, the 50/55footers can be use, but with care from the caster. AND again Spey type lines are not made for OH casting they are made for Spey type casting...maybe thats why they are called Spey lines ?

Yes of course people can use what they like, but generally by most people the Spey type line is ideal for Spey casts and not at OH casting.

Kind regards,

UB

View PostCrunch,

"without tiring yourself using variety of Spey casts."

Sorry Crunch, buddy I just broke up with laughter, because you know very little about Spey or Roll casts to make such a funny statement, do you ?

Because the Spey type cast is all about saving energy, its easy, smooth, fast and effortless thats why to most the Spey type casts look so graceful.

"Those OutBound lines Mike had were not overlined"

What brand of line I suggested to MO, it doesn't matter what brand, surely, however as MO is British then I thought a British line might have been nice for him to use, sorry.

Myself, I have used a Airflo line, with pleasure and success and therefore felt free to suggest to another caster to use this product.

I would never suggest anything I personally have not used for some hours, to me its all apart of giving an honest and fair answer to a question. Trust you understand ?

And then somewhere from someone we had an idea about a long belly Spey line to be used.... please, there would be massive overloading and of course the dead money wasted with idea, even a mighty huge increase of blowing up the rod.

Short belly type fly lines, the 50/55footers can be use, but with care from the caster. AND again Spey type lines are not made for OH casting they are made for Spey type casting...maybe thats why they are called Spey lines ?

Yes of course people can use what they like, but generally by most people the Spey type line is ideal for Spey casts and not at OH casting.

Kind regards,

UB

English is not my strongest language but I tried to write that me too feel Spey casting less tiring. I have impression You feel the same so I do not write these again for you. I repeat myself as well but I like Spey because of almost no unnecessary moves with rod like false casts. Change of casting direction up to 90 decrees both sides is immediate with Single Spey and Spiral Spey. But I do not think Roll Cast to be a Spey Cast but Switch Cast I do.

I do not see too much difference between modern Spey and Scandi other than shorter heads and usually faster rods (which bend more at tip section). When I do long cast with short head I use both hands and wider arc. Skagit has much more difference in lines and casts although there are similarities.

Belgian Cast has almost correct rod path what Switch Cast reguires. If start of back cast is done slower leader would anghor.

My Remark about 12wt (SH / AFTM) OutBound line in 9wt (TH / AFFTA) rod was just that they are different standards and it was just what is recommended at RIO 2008 line succestions done by Simon Cawesworth so two or three wt difference is not uncommon. I am not only one who do not like this confusing thing but it gives us possibility to endless pondering these fishless winter months wink.gif Sorry for you havind summer there but you seem to have fishing season all the time.

Perhaps that recommendation was done already some years ago when AFS was not released yet and RIO changes it for 2009 with explanation something like: OutBound for large flyes / medium distance and AFS and AFS OutBound for long distance / medium fly. Please try yourself and give feedback.

There is hardly any performance advantage with TH rod if you use same line you are able to cast with SH rod. Haul ingreases line speed worth couple feet of rod lenght. Cast to strong head wind can be longer with SH rod when wind causes more drag and load causing more bend which widens loop.

I do not know what type of lines are used on distance competition but I have a lot of different lines and shooting heads. I have found out that the longer the head the longer is possible to cast for two reasons. Long head out so less line to shoot. And long head takes longer to roll straight so it has time to travel further.

On some casting competitions there is maximum for line weight because weight would give advantage.

I wrote my findings because I believe that average caster performs better using heavier line instead of higher line speed. And I onestly believe that with TH rod it is more efficient to use longer heads than RIO OutBound, Airflo 40 or 40+ have. Also taper makes significant difference.

I am able to cast longer with heavier and longer Spey line which I cast slower than I cast with lighter but shorter line faster.

What kind of line do you use for long casts?

OH fishing fast I get lot more wind knots as soon as I start tiring and timing sucks. To achieve tight loops I must use narrow arc and accelerate it faster which needs power and causes wear and tiring. Some athletic fishermen ruin lines in no time because they stretch so much.

But with rod which bends more (by nature or under load) I am able to achieve narrow loops although I accelerate it slower and therefore necessary power generation is less tiring and wear of joints is less and especially less painful day afterclapping.gif

I am too keen to find the best combination so I have bought two (fast)TCRs myself because I believe they have potential and were on sale.

If you want to see cool show casting with TH rod search at YouTube " Advanced Speycasting with Eoin Fairgrieve "

No too useful as a fishing cast other than sight fishing flats when you must make immediate cast tongue.gif

But this shows exellent line control which is fun to practice. Spiral is useful to lift line but while fishing you do usually only one. His cast with only one would be Spiral Switch Cast. Spiral is also used as a start on Spiral Single Spey and larger one on Snake/Spiral Roll which are used to turn casting direction. There is also one Snap-Z (I guess it is called).

He allows rod to come really low on forward stop which in my understanding makes loop unnecessary wide but he is a casting guru so what do I know. Also he uses so much force that shooting line stops too suddenly being practical but obviously this was to save time while filming when there is no need to strip so much running line as cast would have gone.