Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadabout

Montauk attitude ?

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

"> Over the years I have surf fished many places on Long Island from Atlantic Beach all the way to Montauk. The overwhelming majority of fishermen I have met on the beach are super friendly. Somehow when I am in Montauk, I don't find the same friendliness as I do everywhere else. Am I imagining this or has anyone else noticed it too?

OK...I figured it out.

The reason they aren't so friendly is:

The Yanks got swept in the last four games of the American League Champoinship Series!!

lg_smile.gif

I had the pleasure of spending 6 days in NYC (lower west side and walked to the Javvit center) in September for a trade show and everybody could not have bene nicer, even too a Sox fan.

My wife & I started fishing Montauk last year & love the place.We met some real nice folks out there,both on the beach & in the parking lot.People that we met,after telling them we were new at "M" even offered us info on where & when to fish.Yeah,once in a while during the heat of a blitz you will run across a JERK,but you can have that happen anywhere.We have nothing but positive experences at "M",we are looking foward to seeing all we met next year.

I have fished M a few times, both in the middle of the night and during the day. I didnt mind the tude, but then again I wasn't looking to strike up conversation either. Some "fisherman" feel that if you have a rod in your hand that you want to talk to them, and should talk them. Others do not. I have surf fished a bunch of places on the east coast and it is similar just about everywhere.

Personally I try to avoid conversations on the beach, I never ask anyone if they are catching. I dont care. I also dont like to be asked, and my response to this question will depend on my mood and is almost enver honest. Does that mean I have a 'tude?

If someone asks for help or I see a guy and his kid struggling I will ASK if they would like some help.

Its mainly because when I am fishing I want to fish, I dont want to make freinds, exchange ideas, opine on the regulations, or discuss the weather, and certainly dont want to talk about tackle. besides thats why God created the internet. granted I have been fishing in elbow to elbow blitzes that you couldnt help but remark on the size, aggressiveness, or silliness of the fishing, but even then i found myself standing alone more often than not and it was just fine by me.

I love talking to everybody. They usually talk to me first because I'm not that forward, but I always try to give a pleasent reply. Life is too short to be cranky. The first time I met Bassblitz I made a comment about the Yak on his truck and he couldn't have been nicer. Great people out there.

"> Over the years I have surf fished many places on Long Island from Atlantic Beach all the way to Montauk. The overwhelming majority of fishermen I have met on the beach are super friendly. Somehow when I am in Montauk, I don't find the same friendliness as I do everywhere else. Am I imagining this or has anyone else noticed it too?

OK...I confess. That was me you tried to talk to.

I thought you were trying to steal my spot. :-P

I remember the first time I went out to Montauk. I read about it in a coupe of Striper books, but wasn't prepared for it. I stood on the rocks in t-shirt, bluejeans and running shoes and cast a bomber.

I went to the parking lot to take a rest and the cops kicked me out because I didn't have a night fishing pass.

[ 11-11-2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: biggstriper ]

I have never been to M but I can tell by this thread that its not a site specific problem.I have been in the middle of this EXACT same 'tude problem up here in canada.It can be very ugly where it reduces men's character.Something as destructive as jealusy but different.It causes clicks to form and forces some good people away.

"Thats my rock" "Your in *****'s spot" "No fish tonight" (as you notice a pile of fresh scales) "If you get any closer I may take your f'n ear off with this jig"....."If you hit me I'll bash your f'n head in" (This heated exchange oddly started a friendship)

The place that I am speaking about is considered #1 prime spot around here.I caught my largest here.I gave up this place to explore other places with great sucess and dont really miss the BS.I am like Diamondwrapper,I am out for a good time and enjoy other good people.What is really most important here? BTW- I am sure that during the summer I outfish anyone that sticks to #1 spot, would I be as happy and not jealous or competitive if I wasnt doing as good? I,think that I would because I am basically a happy person(or too stupid to know the difference wink.gif ) I would just find a place where I would be happier fishin.

After an absence of about 5 years to #1 spot,I went down there to try a dark tide during the peak season.I was greeted by 2 guys that I knew that were long time regulars and noticed that there were about 10 others that I didnt know (Baby M....beach is only 50' long) After saying hello,I set up where there was room and started to do what I knew to do from the past,Long cast,2oz bucktail,work the rip.I didnt ask anyone nuthin,I knew better.My buddy,unfamilar to this place did ask as soon as we hit the beach and the answer he got made me laugh out loud.Others laughed also because they knew that I knew better.I noticed that the "new" regular beside me was fishin the rip too far along for the stage of the tide and I decided to stick with what I knew instead of what may have been "new" local knowledge.I caught 2 keepers back to back and all others came up painfully empty.I left after saying just goodbye,no explanation,no teaching,nuthin,with as much info as I expected to receive when I arrived.My buddy said that I was sick and wondered howthehell did I pull that one off.I could hear the whispers as I left "who was that"

It made all the tense years worth every moment!

I have gotten to the point that I will not speak to anybody unless spoken to first. I do not want to deal with anybody's crappy attitude....so I keep to myself.

So, folks who pass by you at 'M' think YOU have a crappy attitude, I guess.

Hmmmm - an example of how 'attitude' is self-perpetuating?

I have been to M a few times. When I pass by someone I say How ya doin. They nod or say good and we keep walking. I never try to make freinds. We are all there to fish. If I was a local I wouldnt be to happy about the major influx of people either. I still find everyone to be freindly.

Montauk is a disgusting place. I dislike it. Im not going there anymore. I think everyone should hit Jersey beaches or better yet stay home and save your marriages and some gas money.

Regards,

Pete. smile.gif