Montauk attitude ?

Rate this topic

gadabout

Over the years I have surf fished many places on Long Island from Atlantic Beach all the way to Montauk. The overwhelming majority of fishermen I have met on the beach are super friendly. Somehow when I am in Montauk, I don't find the same friendliness as I do everywhere else. Am I imagining this or has anyone else noticed it too?

What you are seeing is very real. I fished a couple of weeks ago during the blow and there were very few guys fishing so I thought that would somehow make people "friendlier". I walked by guys here and there and faced them to acknowledge them and they would not even look me in the face. This happenned more than once.

With that being said, I have also met some very nice people in Montauk as well.

From what I've heard about Johnny's I don't even bother going in there. I've been to M many times and I just go elsewhere. Its amazing how people can just turn away business like that. Amazing how they stay in business. For myself, I am always willing to pay extra(if neccessary) and deal with nice, helpful people.

From what I've heard about Johnny's I don't even bother going in there. I've been to M many times and I just go elsewhere. Its amazing how people can just turn away business like that. Amazing how they stay in business. For myself, I am always willing to pay extra(if neccessary) and deal with nice, helpful people.

Sounds like FinAtics in OC- go elsewhere if at all possible.

We were discussing this a bit in the LI forumn.

I fish there quite a bit...and YES...some people there have attitude....some have major attitude.

I have gotten to the point that I will not speak to anybody unless spoken to first. I do not want to deal with anybody's crappy attitude....so I keep to myself.

he leakin

The folks I've had problems with out there are not the locals, but rather the weekend fishermen. The locals are, for the most part, either friendly or at least neutral towards me. As long as I'm willing to give them space, which I'm more than happy to do, they're willing to chat and share the beach with me. I don't think they like the crowds any more than the rest of us.

I think the 'tude ratio is probably pretty good. I've sensed more 'tudes per capita elsewhere.

Its just that with that many guys in the early fall, in the day, competing for blitzing fish, you are bound to see or hear the stories. I've seen a few brawls under the light.

anyways -

The guy who fishes it in late June walks away with a totally different experience than the guy who fishes it in late Sept. Thats for sure.

I heard some bad 'tude stories on the cape and had my own bad experiences at Breezy.

I don't know that I 100% agree with this stereotype. I think there is an attitude with some of the people, maybe they expect a confrontation because of the crowds that are there. I don't know. I fish Montauk several times a year and always meet some interesting and friendly people out there. I think it would add to the problem if I went out there with an attitude about the attitudes so I continue to acknowledge people as I would anywhere else. It is just too awesome a place to be miserable at.

Gee

Never had a problem with Johnny's--albeit I've only been in the place twice. I walk in, get what I came to get, hand whoever's behind the counter the cash, get my change, and leave. Same as I would if I was buying a coffee and Danish in a deli and the clerk exhibited no interest in a pleasant conversation.

I don't let heavy sinkers or bucktails drop onto a glass countertop anywhere. I also try to avoid leaving messy fingerprints on anyone's glass countertop.

I wouldn't think of walking into any business wearing sandy waders---let alone Korkers, the same as I would never consider walking into anyone's house wearing them.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

wouldn't think of walking into any business wearing sandy waders---let alone Korkers, the same as I would never consider walking into anyone's house wearing them.

A guy I used to fish with would do this, moving to other spots he'd wear his waders while driving and stop to get coffee with them on. I never did get the reason behind that - laziness I guess. I didnt think anybody else did that.

Do it all the time...

If you are fishing where we are and need to move 5 miles down the road (not the beach) from one spot to the next during the course of a day, why get undressed and re-dressed each time?

We do not enter if sandy, dirty or wet. No different than wearing winter boots. The Wawa doesn't seem to mind wink.gif