mono or braid for small stream trout

applecore

View PostThere is no need for braid when trout fishing. My Ultra lite setups have 4lb mono and I have never had any breakoffs even when the occasional pickeral hooks up.

There are other qualities other than strength you gain with braid. As I said before the near zero stretch and sensitivity coupled with easy quick hooksets are why I prefer a braid type of line for even small game.

Like I said earlier I am very happy withe fireline, its not really braid and its not really straight mono...... its the happy in between.

I am using berkley fireline crystal as rec. from this site for my ultra light and i like it so far..I am thinking about respooling my other rod with this line as well in 6lb. I want to give this line some more use before i decide though since ive only used my new setup once, and the line is pretty expensive

View Postdefinately mono for trout. I fish in Delaware for stocked trout and tons on native streams in the blue ridge mountains of north carolina by my moms house. I persionally like the p-line floroclear 4 or 6 lb. It's a florocarbon coated monfiliment that sells for $7.99 or $8.99. Unless we are talking big trout/salmon or fishing deep in lakes, i don't see the advantage of braid. i can cast just as far w/ 4 or 6 lb mono than 10 lb braid w/ 2lb test diameter. Trout also dont have super..super strong lip and i want a little stretch in the mono especially when throwing inline spinners like rooster tails. Nothing against braid as it is on every saltwater reel i own. Others may disagree but just my 2 cents

My favorite line as well.

Fresh stocked fish are one thing....but it does not take them long to smarten up.

Trout are line shy and very skittish. The clearer the water the tougher they get. Ask any one that chases the big ones or steel head fisherman.

I say leave all the braid at home when trout fishing.

"Nick did not like to fish with other men on the river. Unless they were of your party, they spoiled it." Ernest Hemmingway, "Big Two Hearted River (1925)

• 10 years later...

I tried braid. The thin braid was harder to wrok with (more different thna harder), more expensive (might be negated by having to respool mono so often) and tying leader was one more step that I felt was un-needed.

Now I'm back to my original plan that I used since I was young. I have two set ups. One long rod for guiding jigs and siftbaits (e.g. trout magnets) through the feeding lanes, and for longer casts on bigger water. One shorter for pin-point casing of spinners and for tight quaters on small streams w/ over-hanging branches. I have two spools for each reel. One w/ 4lb Trilene XL & one w/ 2 lb Trilene XL. The 2lb is for those gin clear days on heavy pressured water. I do find it makes a very noticable differance. 

JD

Used Daiwa 6lb.J-Braid 8X Grand with a Tatsu 4lb leader opening day for trout. It casted further than 4lb Maxima with my 1/32 oz. jigs and I could feel the slightest tick on the line. Opening day was nuts in the stocked areas. Every parking place was filled by 4:00 am the season started at 5:30 and it did not get light till 6:45. At 4:00 am I was already shut out of the stocked areas and when I saw how crowed it was on this little stream I was frustrated. With the heavy flows we had this year I figured many of the trout got flushed down stream so I went about a 1/2 mile below the stocking section and it was loaded with trout and I did not see another fisher parked or otherwise.  Caught and released 15 rainbow trout in the first hole and it was just one of those days when everything works. The 10 wild brown trout I landed were a bonus with two 17" with an 18" beautifully colored male brown as a kicker fish. When I got to a great hole that had no stocked trout I was puzzled; I guess the 17" and 18" Wild brown trout in the hole chased the stocked trout away.

I know it can be frustrating to find the right braid and fluorocarbon combination for ultra light fishing. It took me 7 years to find the right combination, but once I found it I am never going back. The Daiwa J-Braid Grand handled and casted great and I did not have any line twist, wind knots, or knot failures. With a long sensitive rod and braid I could feel every head shake and tail beat and that has it own intrinsic value.

What I thought was going to be a terrible fishing day turned out to be a great one.

Edited by Jay Blair

"May your travels always take you to where the water meets the shore"

I am primarily a bass angler, though I have been trout fishing longer. Have always used my bass rods for trout. they work, but aren't ideal. I invested in 4 identical ul setups. Got 4x Falcon Bucoo 7' UL with 500 Shimano Sienna. I wanted three rods for powerboat fishing (limit is three rods in PA), and one for lures. on the 3x powerboat rods, I use straight 4lb mono, on the 1x lure rod, I use 6 or 8 lb yellow braid to a 2 - 4 lb leader of floor or mono. I like both, they all work just fine. I prefer the added sensitivity of the braid, I can feel stuff better, and see when the line moves. fish aren't spooked when you use a 7' leader. only downside is if you retie or breakoff a lot, you will spend more time on leader knots (3 knots vs 1).

bottom line is: if you want ideal sensitivity and performance, use high vis braid, if you retie a lot, use straight 4lb mono.

On 4/2/2019 at 8:25 AM, Jay Blair said:

The Daiwa J-Braid Grand handled and casted great and I did not have any line twist, wind knots, or knot failures.

Jay, how long is your leader? I am getting pretty horrible line twist in the 8lb J braid grand...alberto knot to 8ft of 6lb leader. 

27 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Jay, how long is your leader? I am getting pretty horrible line twist in the 8lb J braid grand...alberto knot to 8ft of 6lb leader. 

What lures are you using? Some smaller paddle tail and big tail grub have a tendency to go in sprals on free fall. That means more twist added on on every cast. Inline spinner I avoid it like plague. 

4 mins ago, hobobob said:

What lures are you using? Some smaller paddle tail and big tail grub have a tendency to go in sprals on free fall. That means more twist added on on every cast. Inline spinner I avoid it like plague. 

Some small jerkbaits like pointer 65s, but mostly a keitech shad impact (soft jerkbait) on a 1/16 head. There shouldn't be a lot of spinning going on with these baits, but it seems like every time my leader knot is passing through guides it adds twist. 

10 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Some small jerkbaits like pointer 65s, but mostly a keitech shad impact (soft jerkbait) on a 1/16 head. There shouldn't be a lot of spinning going on with these baits, but it seems like every time my leader knot is passing through guides it adds twist. 

Every tumble in the air, spiral free fall upon landing all add up. Just think how many cast you made in a day. Something is keep adding twist to your line slowly, not just on retrieving. I would also check if the line roller is free spinning even on light pressure. MY buddy's cabelas verano 2000 ( Daiwa balistic? ) is very prone to line twist because the line roller is on a bushing some it doesn't rotate very freely on UL lures.