Republicans I'd like to see appointed or kept

Rate this topic

BrianBM

DefSec Gates. A thoughtful man, keenly aware of managerial problems in the AF and Navy, and willing to kill contracts for products that don't work and don't come in time. I hope he gets to stay .... not likely, though.

Michael Bloomberg. There is never enough high-end administrative talent with technological savvy for ANY new President. Homeland Security is full of disparate fiefdoms with technically incompatible computer systems. Either HS or FEMA could benefit from Bloomberg, but the need seems greater at HS.

Same broad description: former Governor Romney. Why not? The man's a proven organizer who can bring cohesion to complex organizations under a deadline, as he did with the Salt Lake City Olympics. He has no future in the GOP, not while the religious right still has a veto over the national status of GOP figures. As a partisan thought, why not rob the GOP of as much talent as we can? Let it fester in its' own juices, it'll become all the easier to caricature in the next Congressional elections. There's an incredible amount of work to be done to restore ordinary competence to so many government functions, he's a highly competent man, and Democrats won't worry whether Mormons are really Christian. Veteran's Administration?

Opinions are sought, especially from those in the Armed Services at the time he was CJCS, as to whether former Secretary Powell has much value.

Maybe as Ambassador to something sensitive? NATO? I don't have a handle on him.

View PostDefSec Gates. A thoughtful man, keenly aware of managerial problems in the AF and Navy, and willing to kill contracts for products that don't work and don't come in time. I hope he gets to stay .... not likely, though.

Michael Bloomberg. There is never enough high-end administrative talent with technological savvy for ANY new President. Homeland Security is full of disparate fiefdoms with technically incompatible computer systems. Either HS or FEMA could benefit from Bloomberg, but the need seems greater at HS.

Same broad description: former Governor Romney. Why not? The man's a proven organizer who can bring cohesion to complex organizations under a deadline, as he did with the Salt Lake City Olympics. He has no future in the GOP, not while the religious right still has a veto over the national status of GOP figures. As a partisan thought, why not rob the GOP of as much talent as we can? Let it fester in its' own juices, it'll become all the easier to caricature in the next Congressional elections. There's an incredible amount of work to be done to restore ordinary competence to so many government functions, he's a highly competent man, and Democrats won't worry whether Mormons are really Christian. Veteran's Administration?

Opinions are sought, especially from those in the Armed Services at the time he was CJCS, as to whether former Secretary Powell has much value.

All good names. Not politically contentious and would be useful advisers until Obama is fully up to speed on the issues. Powell I think has had his day. Put him on telephone standby.

It's a travesty what we Republicans did to Romney. The most conservative of a weak field, and a lot of us obsessed about his religion. Stupid.

Gates, Patreus and Rice.

once Cheney was out of the way, FP improved greatly.

Colin Powell is an asset, as are the GOP former Fed/treasury guys mentioned.

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

Hey, Dan, nice to see you. Strange election in some ways.

You're probably right on Powell. If he gets something, it'll presumably be ceremonial. I'd know him better if he weren't reflexively discreet, but that's generally accorded to be a virtue in a diplomat.

I couldn't take Huckabee seriously at the time, and can't now either. Seems to be an ok governor of his state, and is more humane then much of the evangelical community. He might do the country great service if he just stays in the GOP and talks gentle sense to the more rabid members of the religious community.

View PostDefSec Gates. A thoughtful man, keenly aware of managerial problems in the AF and Navy, and willing to kill contracts for products that don't work and don't come in time. I hope he gets to stay .... not likely, though.

bloomberg isn't a republican.

"Ok, Eddy you were right" - minivin5
"Oddly enough, Eddy is right fairly often"- TimS

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish

View PostHey, Dan, nice to see you. Strange election in some ways.

Hey Brian. Good to see you too.

A little strange, yeah. I'll tell you though. Dems were smart to dump Hillary. Like we told you guys back them, we could have wiped the floor with her. Obama got this Camelot thing going, and that's a hard thing to beat. Not that there's not a lot of reasons for sensible folks to support him, but he got a big lift from folks that could never really articulate why they liked him other than he was OBAMA!!!!!!! I'm honestly interested to see how he handles his first round of appointments. I'm actually hoping the Dems were right about his character and that he doesn't turn out to be just a run-of-the-mill phoney politician. Having some character will take the sting out of what he plans for policy.

I don't know, Dan. The economic injuries of the past three months are a huge burden to have to carry for anyone with ANY association with President Bush. Obama clearly turned out to be the stronger candidate, but the Wall Street bailout has enraged the public and multiplied the injury done to Senator McCain by being a Republican. I just posted a long rant on that in another thread.

Obama's policies, however they might have differed from what he said, have been rendered largely meaningless by the economic meltdown. I think he knows it, too. If he was an unknown before the election, he's even more of an unknown now. Doesn't worry me, much, the office mutates every inhabitant into Someone Else as soon as they get in.

Eddy .... OK. I'd still like to see Bloomberg in Federal office.

Guernseybass. Gates, yes - probably a goner. I regret it. Petreaus - he'll have no problem, especially as Afghanistan becomes more important to the new Administration. [side note. General ..... McInerney? wants at least three more brigades for Afghanistan. Obama's priorities are in accord with that, but I don't know that three, or four, or six, are going to be available in time to matter. Different thread, I guess.]. Far from being at risk, General Petreaus' emphasis on local diplomacy and economic development makes him far more palatable to President Obama's world view then he was to President Bush. [save the howls for another thread, guys.] Rice? No waaaaaaaayyyyy. She comes with the baggage of eight years of erratic incompetence attached.

View Post Rice? No waaaaaaaayyyyy. She comes with the baggage of eight years of erratic incompetence attached.

does she ?

she only served for 2 1/2 years I thought, and she changed US foreign policy

she is also making a play :

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice reflected the joy of many black Americans, calling Obama "inspirational" and praising the United States for its ability to surprise.

"As an African-American, I'm especially proud, because this is a country that's been through a long journey, in terms of overcoming wounds and making race not the factor in our lives," Rice told reporters.

"That work is not done, but yesterday was obviously an extraordinary step forward," she said.

It would reflect well on him I feel.

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

View PostI don't know, Dan. The economic injuries of the past three months are a huge burden to have to carry for anyone with ANY association with President Bush. Obama clearly turned out to be the stronger candidate, but the Wall Street bailout has enraged the public and multiplied the injury done to Senator McCain by being a Republican. I just posted a long rant on that in another thread.

I decided I could not vote for McCain the day he came out in support of the bailout. Of course, being in RI means a Republican vote is meaningless, which makes me feel free to register my opinion by voting for Barr.

See? The Electoral College sets us free! wink.gif

Peter,

You are right about New Jersey, but between Florio, Mc Greevy and the current dud, New Jersey is not only a cesspool but the highest taxed cesspool in the Nation!

I did not walk, but ran out of New Jersey when Jim Florio began the tax attack on the middle class.

You are in the Poconos because of those crossive taxes to fund social BS that has not helped anyone but hte politicans who championed them.

The "extra school taxburden" put on any home owner in NJ to feed the hugh buracracy built to let the State of New Jersey run the school systems of Camden, Patterson and Newark is "rape by legislation!"

The trout fishing is pretty good in the Pocono's. In fact it ain't too bad in down town Dickson City on the Lackawana River near the water treatment plant. biggrin.gif Native brown trout averaging 16 inches is the rumor.

Brian,

Gates is a solid and very tough individual. He would be a great choice, but the all left leadership in Congress will not let that happen. They hate the military and will be trying to make every excuse to cut funding and abuse the finest people of this generation.

I hope President Obama will have the strength to protect those who protect and serve to keep us safe.