Drag Washers

Rate this topic

View PostWhen cleaning your drag washers, do you put a drop of oil (not grease) on them? Haven't done this in a while. THANKS!

You mention oil (not grease). I have never heard of anyone putting oil on the drag washers in the last 20 years. The older reels had leather washers and used to be oiled by some with a touch of Neatsfoot oil. But not the newer fibre washers.

A light dusting with pure dry Graphite Powder works well to keep the drag running smoothly too.

View PostI put a thin coating of cal's drag grease on all the fiber washers in my penn mag 525's. It makes a huge difference in the performance, especially when the reel gets wet. The spinners I use are all high end diawa and shimano so I don't mess with them.

I agree,

I put Cal's drag grease on all my high end reel (Stella, Saltiga, Accurate).

View PostI put a thin coating of cal's drag grease on all the fiber washers in my penn mag 525's. It makes a huge difference in the performance, especially when the reel gets wet. The spinners I use are all high end diawa and shimano so I don't mess with them.

Why not use it on all drags? Is it less effective on a Daiwa Saltiga or Penn 750SS spinner ...just wondering as I've never seen "drag grease"confused.gif for sale anywhere. I just upgraded a Daiwa SS2 spinner to carbontex drag washers and Smooothdrag mentions the option of using Cal's drag grease on the pkg. but they go on to state they are fine to use dry.headscratch.gif

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

View PostWhy not use it on all drags? Is it less effective on a Daiwa Saltiga or Penn 750SS spinner ...just wondering as I've never seen "drag grease"confused.gif for sale anywhere. I just upgraded a Daiwa SS2 spinner to carbontex drag washers and Smooothdrag mentions the option of using Cal's drag grease on the pkg. but they go on to state they are fine to use dry.headscratch.gif

Grease em all. It does not shorten the life of the washers, and if anything, it lengthens the service life.

I have been using Cal's grease since last season and I love it.

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

headscratch.gifWheres that list I made of crap I need to buy in the off season...cwm13.gif here it is. CAL'S DRAG GREASE, checkcwm40.gif.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)