Suppose I Win A Plug , Then ???

Rate this topic

JerseyDevil1

Having only fished off the beach once and the jetty once , ( Both times with Bait )...Where does one ( Me ) Start to throw a Plug for their first time out with artificials ? Im not sure what to look for as far as reading the water . Any help or suggestions would be put to good use ( well some of em anyway ).

JD

None !

Just a friendly way of asking for some advice on where to fish them in the surf .... Im not against going broke buying a mess of different plugs to try , I just need a little advice on where and when to give it a shot .....Been to Brigantine 2 weeks in a row and although I didnt pay too much attention to others fishing , I didnt see anyone throwing plugs yet .

JD

Get a couple of basic lures and play around with them.

Some suggestions for lures to start out with that are cheap and readily available at most tackle shops or even large sporting goods shops:

Tins like Kastmasters or Hopkins. Get a couple in the 1-2 oz range. You can fish these anywhere in the water column, everything from bouncing them along a sandy bottom to ripping them right across the surface at high speed.

Surface poppers- There are tons of brands. Some sink, some float. The floaters are easier to get started with. Just reel in a bit and jerk the rod tip to splash, repeat. Mix it up- some days the fish want it flying across the top, other days you can just let it sit there with intermittent pops and fish will hit it.

Rubber swim shads (Storm and Tsunami are big brands, but there are others as well and they're all about as good). Just cast and retrieve fast enough to keep it off the bottom.

All plugs have their moment in certain area and situations. but if most guys are fishing bait and catching fish stick with whats working. I'm not saying its not worth a shot throwing a plug but some work better than others in different areas and situations and its good to have some of each type.

You can't really go wrong with some bucktails and pencils

I've read a lot about reading water from articles, books etc. and there are some really good sources out there.

But I really learned a lot more by going out with a couple of friends who know what they are doing.... to different beaches under different conditions.

Go to beaches in minus tides and you'll really notice some things that at other times look like "plain" water.

Most people if asked will help you if they feel you really want to learn.

good luck.Paul

One thing to keep in mind is that when you're plugging you're going to either be looking for signs of fish feeding (ie. breaking fish, birds, etc.) or looking for structure to fish around that is likely to hold fish. Stuff like tide rips, sandbars, jetties, rocks. The ocean is way too big to go around throwing plugs everywhere looking for fish- you've got to narrow it down by a lot, test the likely areas and once you've found fish work that area more intensively.

If I'm standing out on an open beach without much structure and no sign of fish I find sitting around soaking bait to be more productive most of the time. If the fish decide to show up and/or get more active I'll usually have a rod on standby with a plug tied on.

I greatly prefer plugging to bait fishing so I've wasted plenty of time tossing plugs and catching nothing. I'm still learning all the time (I think we all are, no matter how good a fisherman you might be) and getting better at finding and catching fish on plugs, though. Zeno Hromin's book (above) was helpful to me. I think its a little tilted toward techniques used in the Montauk area so not all of it applies to where I generally fish, but a lot does. ONe of the great things about fishing, and particularly fishing in the ocean is the infinite number of variables we all encounter. One lure works one day, not the next. Tide comes and goes twice a day. Weather changes every day and even multiple times in the same day. All different types of bait fish come and go through the seaon. You need to constantly adapt.