The History Of Block Island and the Nov fall run

Rate this topic

NewEngBoy011

I've fished the Chesapeake all my life (46 y.o.)

The Chesapeake Bay is the greatest spawning ground for Stripers on the east coast.

Back in the 1980's there was a striper moratorium on the Chesapeake, which replenished the stocks. After that they have been highly regulated, healthy stocks of stripers. But still many of the large fish are legally being caught.

Also, check out twhat happening down in North Carolina during the winter.

Those guys boat and keep huge numbers of 30-40-and some 50 stripers. They stack them up like cordwood for pictures. Check out Oregon INlet Fishing Centers fishing reports in Decmeber and January. You will be appalled.

thanks squid... i agree completely that draggers mess everything up... but dont attack somethin my old man has been and still is doin for over 40 years to provide... he dont drag or dredge longlines for cod cod haddock gillnets for monk, cod skate, ROD AND REELS FOR giant eye tuna. cod yes bass seein as he lives in mass but his min. keeper is 34 inches on bass so... and how you gonna sit there and say that **** rhm mr projo hollywood interview man oh i catch hundreds of big fish a year????

Yea im that guy.. Just trying to preserve a heritage thats now considered the enemy...NMFS.. Destroying fishermen and their communities since 1976....

kooky.gif now im gonna hear catch and realease... well that works but what happens when it takes a hook im the gills or deeper let it swim and die cause you dont eat what you catch.... but stuffin one helps dont it... the fact is those big pallets that were shipped off island were after some went into the house and school and other goods that needed it! the island is a real community unlike here on the mainland we all help each other back then. still do today.

Yea im that guy.. Just trying to preserve a heritage thats now considered the enemy...NMFS.. Destroying fishermen and their communities since 1976....

View PostAnyone who says commercial fishing is the reason for crappy striper fishing is waaaayy off base. Recreational anglers kill 75 to 80% of the fish.. END OF STORY.

If you want to go obama on the bass and press for change, you have to start with yourself first and educate others that striped bass are not an infinate resource..

Hope I didn't come off as strictly anti-commercial, because I am also anti-crappy regulations and anti-recreational toward those who kill more than is necessary and anti-pollution and...

The simple fact is WE ALL NEED TO STEP BACK, LOOK AT THE TOTAL PICTURE (FROM... CLIMATE CHANGE,

TO BUNKER BOATS,

TO POLLUTION,

TO THE WINTER FISHERY DOWN SOUTH,

TO THE POLLUTION IN THE CHESAPEAKE,

TO THE FISH TRAPS,

TO THE PIN HOOKERS,

TO THE STRIPER CUP,

TO THE STRIPER CUP POACHERS,

TO DRAGGER BY-CATCH,

TO COASTAL DEVELOPMENT,

TO DECADES OF OVERFISHING OF ALL STOCKS,

TO THE CHANGE IN PRESIDENTIAL ADMINISTRATION)

AND FIND A WAY TO PROTECT THE RESOURCE SO THAT EVERYONE INVOLVED (FROM... CHARTER CAPTAINS,

TO BAIT SUPPLIERS,

TO PLUG BUILDERS,

TO RUBBER WORM POURERS,

TO TACKLE MANUFACTURERS,

TO COFFEE JOINTS,

TO GRINDER SHOPS,

TO ROD BUILDERS,

TO REEL REPAIRMEN,

TO HOTEL OPERATORS,

TO DOCK OWNERS,

TO DIESEL MECHANICS,

TO BOAT BUILDERS,

TO SOL MODERATORSwink.gif )

CAN BENEFIT FROM A STABLE AND HEALTHY POPULATION OF BASS.

God knows all this infighting, denial and finger pointing won't solve a damn thing. kooky.gif

As for "...starting with yourself..."- this self kept a grand total of 0 bass season. Same as last season. clapping.gif

Jon

PS Eben- do those recs who kill 75-80% of the resource target and limit their landings to brood stock fish as the pin hookers do? Or is it more likely that most rec landed fish are marginal keepers that are nowhere near as fecund as the parent fish removed by the rod and reel commercials?headscratch.gif

Bait is for old men and little boys... real men plug.

not sure your age eben last charter boat was the jackspot 4 and 5.... after that back into commercial fishing.. i heard you were im wakefield for a while... boat out of the point called mad monk is another family member... if your wondering exactly who my old man is just ask. and we could prob talk bout lots of same people we know from down that way from duckworths to nally to clark to thayer.. to hall yea the list goes on.....

I am puzzled. So far in this thread no one has kept a fish this year or kept 2 or 3 or 4. I wonder where all the pictures of DEAD fish came from?

You guys kill me. What the hell do you fish for? I fish! I keep fish! I eat fish! That's one of the reasons I fish. Been doing it for 40 years and I will keep doing it and I will not feel guilty about it. So there!!!!shaky.gif

Retired internet cop

View PostI am puzzled. So far in this thread no one has kept a fish this year or kept 2 or 3 or 4. I wonder where all the pictures of DEAD fish came from?

You guys kill me. What the hell do you fish for? I fish! I keep fish! I eat fish! That's one of the reasons I fish. Been doing it for 40 years and I will keep doing it and I will not feel guilty about it. So there!!!!shaky.gif

more power to ya..I C&R 99% of the time, but respect your right to keep 'um..