The History Of Block Island and the Nov fall run

Rate this topic

NewEngBoy011

very well said woody... the regulations today are no where near what they once were.... it is hard to make a living doin it now and HEAVILY regulated... from numbs of days to weight limits per trip! the nmfa has but everything for every fishery.... the limits and days are on the site.... no more goin out anytime and landing huge amounts so....

Yea im that guy.. Just trying to preserve a heritage thats now considered the enemy...NMFS.. Destroying fishermen and their communities since 1976....

WoodyCT That the regulations were such then, and to some extent NOW, that so much could be removed from the stock. But, then again, who knew?

One cannot possible compare fishing scenarios whether commercial/recreational from one era to the next, especially by today's sophistication. That's like comparing the rotary dial phone of yesteryear to today's hand held wireless computers.

No matter what era ..... Most people comply with the laws. Some live close to the bountry... While a few cross the line. It's difficult to come to any agreement with so many variables between REC/COMM. All of us (no matter what group) have to remember the state of the striper stock is the more important issue if we want them to survive. Assessment and planning is the important issue. We can divy up the spoils afterwards.

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

The regs that lead to the big collapse were not nearly as strict or complicated as they are today.

But you guys are kidding yourselves if you don't think we're headed down that same road again.

If you are a pound netter or pin hooker who can prove that your entire income has been derived from fishing bass, then carry on, UNDER STRICT REGULATIONS THAT WILL ENSURE THAT THE HEALTH OF THE RESOURCE COMES BEFORE ANYONE'S PROFITS.

If you are a sharpy who has figured out the best way to feed a bunker, eel or scup to brood stock bass, BUT HAS NO HISTORY OF DERIVING 100% OF YOUR INCOME FROM COMMERCIAL FISHING- TOUGH. NO LICENSE.

The striper is worth more as a sport fish than as a commercial fish. THE BOUNTY ON IT'S HEAD MUST BE LIFTED FROM ALL BUT THOSE WHO TRULY RELY ON IT FOR THEIR FAMILY'S WELLBEING.

JM$.02

Jon

Bait is for old men and little boys... real men plug.

Anyone who says commercial fishing is the reason for crappy striper fishing is waaaayy off base. Recreational anglers kill 75 to 80% of the fish.. END OF STORY.

If you want to go obama on the bass and press for change, you have to start with yourself first and educate others that striped bass are not an infinate resource..

woody is that ct in your screen name as in the state of connetictt? if so then you should know it is illegal to land or sell any species bass in that state seein as it is a SPORTFISH ONLY NOT FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES. Mass and ri different. was not tryin to be rude at all woody. nebe well said that was my point i was gettin at. AND RHM WATCH YOUR TOUNGE BOY... you damn well know that statement should not be said to me or anyone!

Yea im that guy.. Just trying to preserve a heritage thats now considered the enemy...NMFS.. Destroying fishermen and their communities since 1976....

eben... No frigin way. where's the Cod? they cleaned it out of RI.

dragger's and commercial guys.

the lobster guys were complaining all sumer long.... there's nothing out there.

the halibut off of the maine coast... they frigin eff that up as well.

All the ocean bounty has been over fished for the past 100 years and we all know it.

we have know one to blame except the commercial boats...

I not trying to start a war with the commercial guys... but the past five years in my log book... show a ****** bating avg... and its not because I don't know where the bass should be... there not around.

I know certain parts of the tide are when the fish show up... and I have put in my time all summer long and don't have the numbers that I had 5 years ago....

where's the banging and crashing of the bass run this year? It didn't happen and its not going to happen... just like last year and the year before.

I know bass can travel 15 miles a day on the tide.

most of the time 99% of the time there on the outsides of the islands...

Maybe next year will have a fall run.

if it were not for overfishing the english never would of paid columbus.... lobster... try northcape it hurt the lobster stock huge not to mention garbage that comes up from states to our south... and the biggest factor its a cycle! the ocean and fish run in a cycle... late 70s lobstering got good before that it sucked.. its a cycle. yes 100 years of overfishing has an effect... but the regs have been in now for almost ten... and you cant drag for bass.. the rec guys need to stop pointin fingers and take...

share of responsability.. and before any one points fingers they should look at the facts... water temp, weather, and other factors... with the storms we had they could of run somewhere else like hmm the canyons or the islands.. where the water is deeper... either way with a surface temp near 60 still not much is gonna change. and at least the commercial guys have to land what they catch cuts out lots of bs... us rec guys dont so its honor system... now theres a challenge.....

kooky.gif dogfish drive the and away cause they eat them.... feds regulated dogfish and they are now thick enough to bounce off boat hulls now... and no commercial guys are not the only one to blame... if you believe that then you my friend have a rectal-cranial inversion... so pull your head out your colon....

dragging has the highest fatal by catch in the industry will never deny that! you want to bang on dragging go ahead i have little respect for people that dont care or respect other peoples gear sorry but i have had to fix so many trawls of gear thanks to that... but dont classify all commercial guys same! long line and gill net totaly different and stuff comes up alive without swollen or exploded swim bladders... and true not one group needs to take blame...