Tibor or Abel for salt

Rate this topic

Metallica

View PostAs usual,the same people are splitting hairs and beating a dead horse to death.Metallica,the Abel,Tibor and Mako are all top shelf reels that are pretty much bullet proof and any one of them will land any fish you are likely to hook.Just pick the one you like best and enjoy it.

I don't believe it's splitting hairs. I fish for some decent size fish (BFT, tarpon, sharks) and I can say without a doubt the drag on a Charlton and Mako makes the job of subduing a fish faster and easier than the drags on Tibors or Abels. I can dial in exactly the amount of drag I want repeatedly time after time. It helps enormously. May not make a difference with a striper or bluefish but it sure does help with the real bruisers that are out there especially offshore and in FL.

View PostI don't believe it's splitting hairs. I fish for some decent size fish (BFT, tarpon, sharks) and I can say without a doubt the drag on a Charlton and Mako makes the job of subduing a fish faster and easier than the drags on Tibors or Abels. I can dial in exactly the amount of drag I want repeatedly time after time. It helps enormously. May not make a difference with a striper or bluefish but it sure does help with the real bruisers that are out there especially offshore and in FL.

The original post was for application to a 10 wt rod. Probably stripers and bluefish.

Canal FlyRodder & Member SG3CFC
I dunk my VS because I carry a self repair kit at all times
Love those La y, Ha y, Day of Summer

The drag on the Tibor and Abel is more than adequate for stripers and blues, for sure. On the other hand, if one is interested in pursuing a record on class tippet (say, striper record on 6lb tippet, etc), then the Charlton and Mako are the way to go as their drag is repeatable and self-adjusting.

I'm not into chasing records, but do like the fact that I know how much force I'm putting on the tippet (well, roughly, since the weight of the line and water friction on the line add extra force on the tippet). It's also super nice that I don't have to worry about drag maintenance.

I usually don't get into a discussion about reels, but now I think I will.

Both are great reels, and although I've used both many times I don't own either.

I would say based on durability, get the Tibor.

Based on perhaps even better durability, get the Billy Pate Bonefish, or the Salmon. It's (they're) a fabulous reel(s) and you can't kill it (them).

I've had a Billy Pate Bonefish for well over a decade and I'm impressed with it's functioning. So much so that I'm going to get another as well as a Salmon.

I like the Tibor Everglades and I might get a Pacific for Bluefin Tuna, and for big tarpon too.

I really haven't used the "top of the line" reels for a lot of my fishing all over. I have used guides and friends Abels and Tibors, though, MANY TIMES as I said. I've been impressed with all of them, especially the Tibors. Everglades, Riptides, Gulfstreams, Pacifics. I don't know really if they're any better than the Billy Pates though.

The reels I've used a lot have been the Orvis Saltwater V CFO's (for almost everything in fresh and salt, again and again) - I'd love to get more, maybe I'll get another smaller Galvin to fit this niche, a Lamson Litespeed 4 (super drag) - I'll happily get another, maybe one bigger and one smaller too, a big Galvin (using this a lot now in salt), and I used an Islander 4 for a bunch of years too (for Tarpon too). The Islanders froze up on me over time. I don't need another. Van Stall I WAS happy with for awhile, but it didn't have the durability I want.

I like a light reel. Perhaps you can see the pattern. - and one that functions well enough.

All in all, if you want to add REAL durability in there as well as a great functioning reel, and a great, and tough smooth drag, I have yet to see better than the Billy Pate. I'm not alone in this opinion, especially with people who do a LOT of fishing, and do it in a lot of places.

Some people love the Mako, some love the Charltons, some love the Waterworks. All great reels. Many Abel lovers too, ooohh.. with their psychadelic finishes. I hear that Indian music playing as I fish them. Shoot, maybe I'll get a 3N or a 7 or 9 large arbor. I want the Timothy Leary signature model.

Ted Jurascik is some reel maker. I wish I had super light Pates and Tibors (with the great durability and drags) That might be all I'd use.

You guys should try some Galvins. From Californy. Tell me what you think. A VERY nice man makes them. I fished with him and his son in Alaska. Said he's making this huge reel for Striped Marlin, after he fished for them in Mexico and saw what was needed. I have to talk with him about a bluefin reel. Same one?

So maybe I just confused you even more, along with confusing everybody else. I like to go fishing. Just give me a reel that I cast my rod best with, and that functions just well enough so that I can catch the fish that I want to catch. Backing included.

I'm not even looking for the Holy Grail anymore, although I'll still listen, and my mind is open.

Best Wishes,

Mark Sedotti

View PostI usually don't get into a discussion about reels, but now I think I will.

Both are great reels, and although I've used both many times I don't own either.

I would say based on durability, get the Tibor.

Based on perhaps even better durability, get the Billy Pate Bonefish, or the Salmon. It's (they're) a fabulous reel(s) and you can't kill it (them).

I've had a Billy Pate Bonefish for well over a decade and I'm impressed with it's functioning. So much so that I'm going to get another as well as a Salmon.

I like the Tibor Everglades and I might get a Pacific for Bluefin Tuna, and for big tarpon too.

I really haven't used the "top of the line" reels for a lot of my fishing all over. I have used guides and friends Abels and Tibors, though, MANY TIMES as I said. I've been impressed with all of them, especially the Tibors. Everglades, Riptides, Gulfstreams, Pacifics. I don't know really if they're any better than the Billy Pates though.

The reels I've used a lot have been the Orvis Saltwater V CFO's (for almost everything in fresh and salt, again and again) - I'd love to get more, maybe I'll get another smaller Galvin to fit this niche, a Lamson Litespeed 4 (super drag) - I'll happily get another, maybe one bigger and one smaller too, a big Galvin (using this a lot now in salt), and I used an Islander 4 for a bunch of years too (for Tarpon too). The Islanders froze up on me over time. I don't need another. Van Stall I WAS happy with for awhile, but it didn't have the durability I want.

I like a light reel. Perhaps you can see the pattern. - and one that functions well enough.

All in all, if you want to add REAL durability in there as well as a great functioning reel, and a great, and tough smooth drag, I have yet to see better than the Billy Pate. I'm not alone in this opinion, especially with people who do a LOT of fishing, and do it in a lot of places.

Some people love the Mako, some love the Charltons, some love the Waterworks. All great reels. Many Abel lovers too, ooohh.. with their psychadelic finishes. I hear that Indian music playing as I fish them. Shoot, maybe I'll get a 3N or a 7 or 9 large arbor. I want the Timothy Leary signature model.

Ted Jurascik is some reel maker. I wish I had super light Pates and Tibors (with the great durability and drags) That might be all I'd use.

You guys should try some Galvins. From Californy. Tell me what you think. A VERY nice man makes them. I fished with him and his son in Alaska. Said he's making this huge reel for Striped Marlin, after he fished for them in Mexico and saw what was needed. I have to talk with him about a bluefin reel. Same one?

So maybe I just confused you even more, along with confusing everybody else. I like to go fishing. Just give me a reel that I cast my rod best with, and that functions just well enough so that I can catch the fish that I want to catch. Backing included.

I'm not even looking for the Holy Grail anymore, although I'll still listen, and my mind is open.

Best Wishes,

Mark Sedotti

"All things being equal the simplest explanation tends to be the right one."

"If I could have my wasted days back would I use them to get back on track? Stop to warm at karmas burning or look ahead, but keep on turning. Do I have the strength to know how I'll go? Can I find it inside to deal with what I should'nt know?"

View PostThe original post was for application to a 10 wt rod. Probably stripers and bluefish.

True but if that's all that was of interest than Tibor and Abel are way more reel than you need...a $100 reel is all that is really needed for stripers and blues of any size you will catch on a fly on normal tippets (in fact I frequently use an Independence fly reel from Powell that I got free and it has easily handled stripers to 42 inches). Since Tibor and Abel were mentioned as the two choices and the original poster noted that he is the type of person who wants the best...in the same price range you have the best fly reel on the planet available (Mako) therefore the discussion isn't about what is the most suitable reel for stripers and blues.

View PostI'm not into chasing records, but do like the fact that I know how much force I'm putting on the tippet (well, roughly, since the weight of the line and water friction on the line add extra force on the tippet). It's also super nice that I don't have to worry about drag maintenance.

Thats why I'm mostly all Makos and Nautilus NV's.

I use them.

I wash them off.

Occasionally re-superlube the center.

Thats it.

Is that worth the premium both reels demand?

YES!

You'll spend ATLEAST $100 on a reel on maintenance over a couple years that are not sealed like the Makos or Nautilus. So does the price justify itself when compared to similar (in the case of the $700+ range) reels?

No brainer.

The 9550 is both an 8-10 and 10-12 reel depending on which spool you get (or both spools)

Yes I own a few different reels (Nautilus Lamson Charlton Henschel) but as far as what can take a total beating? The Mako wins. Its my goto for 2am death marches, and going out when there might be tuna on the scene. (Alot of times it'll go in my gear bag as the "oh crap" reel)

I apologize for F1 and I spewing so hard about the Mako, believe me, I was skeptical and looking at the same reels as you but after talking to F1, Saggitarius, a couple others here, and Scott @ The Den, I took the plunge. I have NOT been dissapointed and would not go back to any of those other reels. The others I own have their purpose, feel free to PM me why I chose those others if you'd like to know.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

View PostSo the Mako isn't a cork drag? If not, what is it?

Magic. cwm27.gif

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Ok by popular suggestion im considering the makosmile.gif . given that is in the same price range as a tibor anyhow. my question is what size and how long is the actual wait time. the website posts a wait time of 2 months is that accurate? my other question is i like to get silver as colors because when they are scratched, the scratches do not stand out so much like on other colors. do any of you have a silver(platinum) reel and can u verify this.

many thanksbeers.gif

"If I could have my wasted days back would I use them to get back on track? Stop to warm at karmas burning or look ahead, but keep on turning. Do I have the strength to know how I'll go? Can I find it inside to deal with what I should'nt know?"