Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oasis1234

St. Croix Tidemaster Rods - Hit or Miss?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I'm looking at getting a St. Croix tidemaster rod - saw one in a shop a few weeks back and I can't stop thinking about it (I know...I know...therapy is needed). Question is, will a travel rod survive? I fish a multi-piece fly rod all the time but for big water I tend to go with one-piece rods. This isn't for North East surf-casting, but beach fishing in the South. I figure for $ 120 - how bad can it be? Any feedback - any bad experiences? (I'm looking at a seven foot medium-heavy in three pieces as opposed to an eight-foot heavy which is just too damn long for me to transport).

I'm afraid I can't speak for the travel rod version of the series, but I'm extra fond of the St. Croix Tidemasters - lotsa bang for the buck - and I own and fish hard two of the one pc. eight footers in that lineup. Good stuff; in fact I wish they'd add a nine to that line. I'd get one in a heartbeat.

I have the 8' 1/2-2 oz conventional model matched up with an ABU 6500 CS Mag reel. The rod slings 2 oz with the best of them. I use it for fishing lures at IRI and as a bay/pier rod. I have 15 lb mono on although I have used 35 lb Trilene XDS with outstanding results.

Good rod worth the money. They make a heavier version that will handle up to 3 oz too. Rod is very light and I can cast metal all day long without tiring. Nice trigger grip too...

Sandcrab

I use a TS70HF 3 piece all the time fishing for fairly large Red Drum in inshore salt marsh. Going on its fourth season with no problems. Think its the best travel rod in its line weight/lure weight range you can buy.

I own the tide master 8' one piece spinning rod. I love it and have landed many nice fish with it. I have strictly used one piece rods (not including fly rods) for many years now because I like the action of a seamless blank. For travel I have one of those telescoping rod cases that look like some kind of big rocket launcher. Truly, I broke one 8' tide master over the summer. That green finish on the rod seems to act like armor, but if you're not careful the rod will still break.

I own 7 and 8 foot versions in one piece, and they are nice rods. For some reason, I prefer the 8' version, which I use in light surf for fishing for specs. Incidentally, as I recall, Frank Daignault likes this rod; it's his wife's, but he enjoys using it himself and likes it.

I had the TS70MF3 for 5 years now and love it. Has handled lots of stripers and weakies w/o a problem.

I like the convenience of the 3pc rod, it's always w/ me in the truck.

I have 2 TideMasters. The 1pc 7'6" TS76MM metium power, moderate action and the 3pc 7' TS70MF3 medium power fast action. I run 10lb test on each from Okhumas - either a FINA FHS50 (fast retrieve) or a FINA FI40.

The 1 piece is about 6 years old and the 3 is 5. I use the 3 piece just about every day I fish from May to November. Bass, blues, bonito no problem. While the upper rating for lures on each is 3/4 oz I have no problem throwin' Charlie Graves tins up to 2oz. I've landed bass to 25lbs and blues to 15. I also use them in the surf up here in NH.

Both of these rods have taken serious abuse and all I have ever had to do was replace one tip guide and 2 inline guides.

PaulH

I am glad to hear the good reviews on the Tide Master rods smile.gif My local dealer just ordered me a

TC80HF. I plan to use it for freshwater striper and the occasional beach trip.

oasis1234, Hit !!!

Sounds Like A Very Good Deal,,If That Price of

$120.00 is for the 3piece 7 footer...The Travel

Rods From St.Croix sell for at least $200.00

for the TideMaster Series...

I currently use a 8'TideMaster (TS80HF)and have

that matched up with a Shimano Sustain (SA4000FD) combined they only weigh a little over

20oz's and it's one of my favorite rods for light

Saltwater Fishing....

I have an 8 foot one piece Tidemaster conventional rod (TC80HF) with a Penn 965 on it. Been plugging with it for about 3 seasons now. I only have positive things to say about this rod. If anything ever happens to it, I'll go out and buy another one just like it.