Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krusty

Local species aquariums

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

the water chemistry must be tough for those that try to duplicate a brackish water environment.

Actually it's quite easy..... I've kept my brackish tank for 2 years now and not a single water problem. The salt content hovers around 14/18ppt (brackish). And believe it or not, I have not done a SINGLE water change in two years!!!!

I run the most basic bio filter along w/ a few powerheads. Mind you, I only have a 55G so it's pretty easy to take care of.

I only keep two varieties of killies, some crabs, spearing, loads of periwinkles and the occasional perch (but then I need to replenish the bait fish icon25.gif )

I think there's a bunch of folks here with tanks, you'll be hearing from 'em!

Z

Wow, that water change deal is suprising... but now that I think of it... a brackish tank should be easier, because the critters have more variable conditions depending on runoff, tide, maybe even winds? Just earned myself a duh for that one redface.gif

Wow, that water change deal is suprising...

ya know, it's a bit embarassing, because the lack of water changes is partly due to laziness redface.gif ....

But, God's honest truth, my water is CRYSTAL clear! I even add rocks and drift wood from the bay to the tank and the water is still clear!

Correction on specific gravity- checked it tonight (after reading this post) and it's at 22 ppt.

Z

I have three brackish tanks in my classroom at school. I teach two marine biology classes in a NJ high school. WE go to Sandy Hook two times a year and load up the tanks with striped killie fish, spearing, mummichugs, sheepshead minnows and various other juveniles and crabs. The students do tank maintanence every Friday as part of their participation grade.

My water gets cloudy due to excessive feeding and sunlight each spring. We do very few water changes but do vaccum the gravel every few weeks. Usually change the Whisper filters once every 6 -8 weeks with cleanings inbetween.

The best is feeding the crabs and showing them fresh molted crabs. WE are about 20 miles from SH so most kids have never seen these fish. Give them a siene net and watch their eyes light up.

Give them a siene net and watch their eyes light up.

icon14.gif I had a teacher in 5th grade who used to take 10-15 of us down to Shark River after school a couple times a year to seine up interesting stuff. It was something I'll always remember.

Same guy also taught me how to play chess and wrap rods during lunch smile.gif Teachers that get involved with teaching their students more than English and math, even on their own dime, are priceless and can definitely make a very long lasting impression on their students icon14.gif

TimS

My friend had a local species fresh-water tank.

Started with a baby snapping turtle that grew from 1 inch to about 6 inch shell. Turtle made the tank filthy.

Had two blue-gills in the tank, an eel, a snail, and even threw a sandworm in there... lived pretty long in freshwater.

The turtle killed everything. The last survivor was a blue gill that hid from the turtle every chance. One day my friend looks over and sees the blue-gill feeding on the surface - in a flash the snapping turle hit him in the belly instantly killing him.

I think his grandma wanted to make soup out of the turtle.

Anyone ever do an outdoor pond with just local species? I'm really thinking of putting one in my backyard w/ bluegills and live smelt if I can get them (smelt will be for future bait use).

Anyone ever do an outdoor pond with just local species? I'm really thinking of putting one in my backyard w/ bluegills and live smelt if I can get them (smelt will be for future bait use).

i plan on doing that very thing. i have 2 painted turtles that i've had nearly 15 years and i'm really just trying to give them some room to grow. but also, my grandmother lives on a lake in south Jersey that has perch, pickeral, bass, crappie, bluegills, sunnies, catfish. i've tried the pickeral things before in an aquarium, and the bastard ate everything. i mean this thing made bluefish look anorexic. but anyways, i'm gonna give it a shot with one of those kits Home Depot sells. i'll post pics if it works out

Brian- I had a pond of local species as a kid in Vermont. Now, I work as an aquarist at a public aquarium. Depending upon the size of the pond I think you could keep a variety of pond species without too much trouble. Smelt, however, are probably not well suited to a pond of any size. They have a complicated life cycle that does not lend itself to pond life. If you are looking for some fish to use as bait that will thrive in a pond setting, I would recommend shiners and darters of various species. Panfish, catfish, and minnows/darters are a good starting point, and if your pond is large enough you may be able to step it up to bass, trout, and pickerel. Hope this helps.

Peter

2 years without a water change?! As a former avid aquarium hobbyist that just makes me cringe. 'Clear water' does not equate to good water. For the health of your critters please change that water.

2 years without a water change?! As a former avid aquarium hobbyist that just makes me cringe. 'Clear water' does not equate to good water. For the health of your critters please change that water.

I have killes that are two years old also! NOTHING ever dies on its own ( except for predation).

Maybe the top-offs help ( I get alot of evaporation), but honestly, my water quality seems great!

Z