Ok heres one..."What is the Dumbest thing you've ever seen a Googan do in the surf?"

Rate this topic

Awesome John

Let's see the best one was the guy who hit the bulkhead on the beach at Lavalette in his truck doin about 50 mph.OW OW OW!Totaled.

I saw a guy fishing for trout once with a boat rod a bobber a steel leader and a jitterbug.In a foot of water.

I saw a guy put a live shad down his waders cause he didn't have a stringer to put it on.

Bet those waders smelled good the next day.

Seen at least three people play a rock for so long I got bored with watching them.One guy I timed ,45 minutes before he finally straightened out his hook.DUH.

Fished with a guy in Alaska that fished for three days with his flyline strung up through the hook keeper.(he thought it was a guide)Get this.He was landing 50 and 60 pound Kings with it.Couldn't understand why

his drag seemed a little..... "sticky"?

What else?hmmmm.......

Was shadfishing at Foul Rip once and some guys in a canoe asked me if there were rapids up ahead Since the water was up being springtime and all I told them yes that was foul rip just downstream so you should be careful and stay to the right as there is a big rock on the left everyone hits.Ok thanks.Yup, you guessed it. Whack!right into the rock on the left.I still got the cushions.I use them in my canoe.I consider them a water moron tax.

Montauk is always good for a few laughs...once saw someone trying to fish off the rocks around Turtle Cove with sneakers on. Would have been a good ad for Korkers. This person was persistent though even after several face plants on the rock. cwm24.gif

I say, if you cant laugh at yourself, you got no sense of humor

one night I'm out in my garage testing knots. I got a manley scale, I got my knot book, a bass ale, some tunes, a real happy caveman.

So I start testing. Bang... it breaks way before its supposed to. So I retie and test. bang.. the line snaps. %%$#, what kind of knots are these...retie, bang again. Man these knots aren't holdin for squat. bad line? must be. thats it, I'm calling berkley and ande 1st thing in the morning! None are breaking anything close to 100%. I'm cussin like a drunk sailor now..

then i look at the scale, yikes, i'm lookin at the weight in Kilograms, not Pounds.

Guys casting off bait is always a good one and not always googans. This one guy went to A LOT of trouble to net a herring at Deal lake. First flip out there- flies off hook. He gets in his car and leaves while his buddies laugh at him.

No more skunks. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you been gone a long time. 

Not a googan story, but this is funny. Some years ago - like, fifteen - Charlie Hudek and I were casting to bluefish inside the mooring area of Mt. Sinai Harbor. There were some really BIG blues chasing bunker; they'd been in and out for days, and there was a crowd of people along the water's edge. A lot of plugs were getting lost on the mooring buoys. One guy broke off a plug and decided to go get it. He strips down to his briefs, dives in, swims out and gets the plug, but on the way back he loses his shorts. So he's standing in waist deep water, waving the plug, asking his buddies to bring him his jeans ... you KNOW they weren't going to do it. Instead they grab all the tackle and run for the car, apparently intending to leave him there. He gives chase, and the last I saw was his pink butt wobbling up the beach in pursuit of his friends and pants, while everybody else rolled on the ground.

Good stuff Johnsmile.gif

This past summer a guy strugles,down to the water with his pole, spike, bucket,tackle box,cooler,and chair.Sets up all his gear,and asks me if the fish are bitting.I tell him NO,to which he says"I hear they are hitting yellow bucktails".I wished him good luck with that...then had to go,or else laugh all over this guy.He picks out a 4oz yellow bucktail, heaves it out,sets it in the sand spike,and starts watchin the tip for hits smile.gif

Then their was this googan on a party boat that sat on the styrofoam cooler...sending beer ice and soda all over the deck.....oh yeah that was mecwm24.gif

How about the guy who brings EVERYTHING he owns out on the jetty only to slip and fall and while hanging on for dear life to keep from falling in the water, gets one last glimpse of his packed tacklebox as it disappears into the sea.

I bought Korkers after that.

I learned to take only what I need.

That was the last time I brought a tacklebox onto a jetty. biggrin.gif

RS

Excellent storiesicon14.gif

I've seen my share of things...sometimes even think maybe I seen it allicon15.gif My personal favorite was this guy who put two bombers on one snap. My only guess is someone told him "black and yellow bombers are working"...so he got one of each and put 'em on at the same timecwm13.gif No worries to him as they spun on top in the current. He didn't mind that everyone else was only using one - he had the secret weapon, straight from the tackle shop "guru" cwm24.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Stupid boat tricks.....

One time in the crowd fishing the Reach for weakies and this fat drunk guy was reaching to get a fish and falls out of the boat. His buddy turns around with puzzled look.. Joe ?

another time we are cruising up the Navesink and just before the Oceanic bridge the channel takes a significant bend. Well, some clown decides to ignore the channel and almost flies out of the front of the boat. Now here's the good part.... the guy is out of the boat pushing it off the bar and idiot #2 blasts right up behind him !

I love when we make way past the breakwater at first light and head out, there's nothing better, the whole rest of the world just melts away for me.

(*edited - member formerly known as 'windknot')

Last spring while fishing herring down around the submarine memorial I notice a plastic trash can half way up on the rocks. (it was low tide) A young kid comes down a little later and goes over to his "basket" and looks inside picks up trash can and climbs down to the water putting it in. Herring were all dead. He then notices it starting to float away so tries to grab it, well he goes under for a second and climbs back onto the rocks picks up basket and heads for his car. (what I forgot to mention was that he had on rubber waders that were about 4 sizes too big with no wader belt)cwm31.gif I told him he should get some proper fitting waders and he just walked away muttering. I don't think this kid realized how close he came to maybe drowning. I told him he was lucky this time but may not be the next. frown.gif

Hey FW, speaking of fly guys; one day last summer I was bored and decided to drift a chunk on the west tide down at Bell road.(ditch) Well I let a chunk of pogy go and a couple of seconds later I get a "run". I let it go for a couple of seconds and set the hook. I start reeling in line but something didn't feel right. Tug, slack,tug, slack, so I decide to just reel in then I hear a guy scream. I look down towards the point and I see a fly guy with both hands on his line pulling like crazy. cwm27.gif Seems he picked up my line on his retrieve and I had about a 200# er on the other end of my line. It was kind of foggy that day, but I still get a chuckle out of it. biggrin.gif