Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharkbite

Kite fishing for billfish and tuna

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Anyone ever used this method?

How effective is it and about how much does it cost for the setups?

Couldn't get an answer on the boating board so figured i'd try here biggrin.gif

Tight Lines

Tim

Seems the method of choice for lots of guides in south fla. Kite not much..50-100..regular boat poles will do..easist way is to buy an electric reel..fly the kite off that line w/clips to attach 1-3 actual fishing lines to.Attach live bait to appropiate size hook..now the work comes in..keeeping the baits swimming on the surface...gotta adjust kite up/down..to account for drift..swells..but man you will see action..fun way to fish..kids really get a kick outta it..not realy much of an investment to give it a try...good luck..

Always sounded like a great way to feed eels to hungry bass. Surprised I have never seen it attempted from the beach when the wind is to your back. Would be a good way to get to those outer bars....

Of course you would need huge line capacity.... Alvy???

To do it right, you'll need a couple of different kites as they are designed for different wind conditions. You're also better off using a short "kite rod" since it sits low enough to pass the rods around it easily while you have a fish on. Typically you fish a couple of baits on the kite, a couple of flatlines and couple of weighted batis. It's a lot of work on the deck, but the rewards can be outstanding and exciting. Nothing like seeing a surface bait get skyrocketed...

I haven't tried it, but I don't think it would be very effective in our waters, where we really ahve to hunt for the fish, as opposed to just going to to the edge of a reef and knowing the fish are usually there. If you have the fish located it might work for a fish or two, but especially on tuna you would have to put something else in the water to hold the fish around the boat, otherwise they'll just head off after they've eaten yjr few baits you have out.

Just MHO.

i've done this many times and agree with allot of the responses. I would mainly use this method chunking for tuna on an anchored boat with a nice chum slick going. i would send a kite off the back ( i agree with the short rod for holding the kite to maneuver other hooked up rods) i use a teaser rod and reel. live bait off a kite is deadly although my biggest wahoo came off a kite with a rigged ballyhoo wired with his wings spread slapping the top of the surface. i have a picture of it and would post it if knew how to. As for blue marlin i have never seen the advantage of using a kite. does anyone here use them for billfish?

Tuna will be back with the pic.....I'm on the phone with him right now giving a tutorial...... wink.gifrolleyes.giftongue.gif

[ 11-19-2003, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: STEVE IN MASS ]

Nice wahoo biggrin.gif They're still gettin a bunch of 'em down here. Bluefin bite should be hot in a few weeks so maybe i'll get lucky biggrin.gif

Was reading in a book "The Saltwater Fisherman's Bible" by Erwin A. Bauer about the kite fishing. It orginated in the pacific for sailfish but it dosen't go into detail how effective it is for other species of billfish.

Thanks for all the info on kite fishin smile.gif

Tight Lines

Tim