Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
italian612

Ever try a Hawaii Surface plug for Mexico Roosters?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Anything that can be very rapidly retrieved across the surface will catch roosters. The lures main requirements are its casting distance and hooking efficiency. It's not so much about the lure as it is the pin point fishing location, timing (time of day, time of year, timing with weather), and SKILL. - HPD

PS - And ANYTHING will catch jacks! They are super aggressive.

View Postthose are really cool lookin'.... what the weight/length on the two from the top?

The top is 3oz & 3 inches and second is 1.5 oz and 2.5 in. I saw them in hawaii and thought they looked like they would catch.

if those are the same Ive seen out there, and I believe they are, theyre made of ceramic and dont take well to banging on rocks. I dont think they will hold up to a blue jaws either. But thats not what you are targeting anyway.

View PostI don't think they will cast long enough. Try the $6 line stretcher lure.

View Postif those are the same Ive seen out there, and I believe they are, theyre made of ceramic and dont take well to banging on rocks. I dont think they will hold up to a blue jaws either. But thats not what you are targeting anyway.

i don't know where you guys commenting on these lures are getting your information from but you are wrong. these are the most durable lures I have ever come across. they are made of hard, dense ceramic that will create chips in concrete and rocks not the other way around. the paint is baked on. i have whacked these lures on lava rock only to find them without even a scratch. i doubt that even a bluefish could scratch the paint on it. these lures will cast a country mile. you will lose the lure before it will fail on you. by the way, these lures come with lifetime warranty if it ever breaks, chips, etc. send the broken lure to Mark and he will send one back.

1NyNsBxwG2U

check out his other vids too "whiteykauai"

HPD, jacks in Hawaii are an exception. They are still aggressive but don't attack just anything.

dude, that video was GREAT!! there's no better sound than a screaming drag! If you don't mind, I've got a couple Qs....

1) Can you describe the swimming motion... I ask because in mexico, we using a stready fast retrieve - ie. no popping of the rod is required. From the video, it looks like you were doing the same, right?

2) Does it have a good bubble trail

3) How much do they go for? And where can you get them?

I have a few of those , they are kiln baked porcelain, harder than rock , will break blues teethbiggrin.gif, they are like a skitterpop action on top fast, and sink so they can swim subsurface with a slower reel in....fast and they plane across the top. through wired biggrin.gif...my blues buster..beers.gif

he makes them to 3oz wink.gif they cast a mile

Although I have never used these lures for roosters, I can attest to the great action of this lure. The surface movement with quick retrieve seems irresistable to the fish here in Hawaii. They cast far, the ceramic I believe is fortified with some metal, so its like casting out a lead bullet. You can drop them on concrete without a blemish. If it does get damaged, he replaces them. I would suggest emailing Mark, as he is a very nice guy. His email is on his website.

So I stand corrected,

I've seen them but never actually tried or used them. I saw they were ceramic and never gave them a chance. But thanks for the feedback guys maybe next time Im out there I will pick one up to bring back to MA and throw out to the blues to see how they hold up.

Hana Paa'

View Posti don't know where you guys commenting on these lures are getting your information from but you are wrong. these are the most durable lures I have ever come across. they are made of hard, dense ceramic that will create chips in concrete and rocks not the other way around. the paint is baked on. i have whacked these lures on lava rock only to find them without even a scratch. i doubt that even a bluefish could scratch the paint on it. these lures will cast a country mile. you will lose the lure before it will fail on you. by the way, these lures come with lifetime warranty if it ever breaks, chips, etc. send the broken lure to Mark and he will send one back.

1NyNsBxwG2U

check out his other vids too "whiteykauai"

HPD, jacks in Hawaii are an exception. They are still aggressive but don't attack just anything.

I can't see how far the guy is casting, he is standing on a mountain. The aerodynamic of the lure with the flat back, treble and feather does not suggest a long distance was on the mind of the designer. Did you try the 3oz. line stretcher lure? Robert?

Another theoretical problem is probably the fact that they will sink fast, by the time you bring them to the surface you already lost 30 or 40 yds.

View PostI can't see how far the guy is casting, he is standing on a mountain. The aerodynamic of the lure with the flat back, treble and feather does not suggest a long distance was on the mind of the designer. Did you try the 3oz. line stretcher lure? Robert?

Another theoretical problem is probably the fact that they will sink fast, by the time you bring them to the surface you already lost 30 or 40 yds.

you don't need to run feather or skirted trebles. plain hooks work fine too. the feathers & hooks just optional just like how feathered trebles are optional on Kastmasters. it's something that possibly adds appeal but impacts the lure in other ways. i've never had a problem with losing 30-40 yds bringing the lure to the surface. in fact if you close the bail & begin reeling once the lure hits the water, the lure will stay at the surface for the full length of the cast.

View Postdude, that video was GREAT!! there's no better sound than a screaming drag! If you don't mind, I've got a couple Qs....

1) Can you describe the swimming motion... I ask because in mexico, we using a stready fast retrieve - ie. no popping of the rod is required. From the video, it looks like you were doing the same, right?

2) Does it have a good bubble trail

3) How much do they go for? And where can you get them?

1. it's up to you how you want to retrieve it. here, we vary our retrieves to find what the fish wants to bite. the video is actually Mark White himself. he has other videos posted with other screamers.

2. without taking into consideration the barometric pressure on the given day, i'd say yes.

3. you can search online for his lures and order directly from him. email him with your questions. if you order a few he might throw in some extras.

I thought you ment Pili Poppers as the Hawaiian lures. Those look great though. How are they on rocks. The resin Pili's caught alot of fish but they chipped easily and cost too much. I would try a single siwash feathered hook crimped upside down to skid across the surface , miss most snags, and release fish easier. cwm40.gif