Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Awesome John

Left Handed Penn 525 Mag Comming Out?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Like most "modern" surf casters (under 50 years old without 4 inches of dryed salt behind their ears) I started out fishing using spinning reels and just recently slowly got interested in conventional tackle after hearing repeatedly from those crusty old farts using crusty old conventionals on the beach that "you are only a real fisherman only when you can cast with a rusty old squider".

Well after about 20 stitches in my head from "backlashed sinkers" and birds nests that made my reels look like "revenge of the mummy" I can say that I finally got casting with conventional down to where "I'm no longer a threat to the windshields"...

"but"

I HATE REELING WITH MY RIGHT HAND!!!

I CAN NOT GET USED TO IT!!!!

LORD KNOWS I'VE TRIED!!!

IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN!!!

I dont even know if this whole conventional thing is worth the Chinese torture of its frustrating learning curve. But being the devoted Surf rat that "I is" the purist in me trudges forward in my quest to grow with my skills to one day attain true status as profestional crusty old surf fart LAMA.

So I got a Penn 525 Mag.... ehhh... what can I say ..it sits there... I look at it... It looks at me..... once in a while I take out and cast with it.. I'm told it's the ultimate casting reel.. I've gotten pretty good with it ... but still its feels "foreign" almost "dorky" .... sure its a great piece of engineering.. but its that darn right hand retreive.... "dorky" my weak left hand can not work the rod and make my lures come to life like my right hand has been trained for years to do....

So Now I'm looking into left handed conventional reels that are "killer quality"... by that I mean they got all the features like magnets... high ratio retreives alot of ball bearings etc etc...

Hey I heard that they are gonna make a left handed Penn 525 Mag? Has anyone else heard this? Is this true? When is it coming out?

Also, please, can some of our knowledgeable fellow members out there please post up a list of the nrands and models of the lastest high tech long casting left handed conventionals suitable for surf fishing?

Please also include info about what you may have heard about whats comming out new.. for example some people say that the new Daiwa Grand Wave ZA is the new king of the hill (I hope they make a left handed one)

Is ABU ever gonna make a 6500 mage elite CT C3 in a left handed model?..

Seems to me that alot more and more spinning reel users are trying to make the transition to conventional tackle and I think the left handed reels would be very appealing to this new market.

Are the manufactures are sleeping or what?

Whats the scoop gentlmen?

A list of left hand conventionals, hummm, that might be hard to find wink.gif

Click below AJ http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547...ML/010392.html

As for the Penn Mag, don't think so, I spoke with a Penn rep about 8 months ago and he told me they has no plans for adding and more lefty reels in the near future. I hope he was lieing smile.gif

I think Abu has something on the burner, but think it's another C3 /C4. Not that that's a bad thing, But don't think it's a Mag. I wanna Mag E too....

If you find anything in you search, be sure to share it with us.

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

[This message has been edited by Ed J (edited 11-26-2001).]

Thank God , I thought it was only me !!!! John is that not the stupidest thing, why NOT make left handes reels??< no wait let me guess,, I am waiting for the new Shimano 401TE to come out I guess the crusty old farts want to do it their way, Let me know what you find out. I am sure that alott of guys feel the way we do but it's just not cool to talk about it kind of a closet LH guy

Check out the post Ed mentioned. Also do a search, we have discussed this topic many times.

As for why they dont make them in left handed models? Cost, there simply inst enough demand for left handed reels and manufacuters have litte motivation ot make them as a result. its not as simple as putting the handle on the other side. It requires a whole new set of tool and dies to make the componets. Then there are all the other costs associated with inventory etc. Bottom line is if enough left handed people push for them they will make them, but until they see demand that warrants an investment its not gonna happen........

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

I have never understood why otherwise normal righthanded people insist on reeling with their right hand. It has always made more sense to me to turn the little bitty crank with my weaker arm/hand and tug on the beast with my stronger arm. Plus, there's the awkward and inopportune transfer of the rod from right to left hand just as the bait enters the stike zone. That said, I have to think Abu has sold enough 5501s and 6501s to know there's a market for adding mag control to that frame.

Hey Awesome, You can always roll your own. I did last winter and now use a 5501 and 6501 both are magged. You use Abu's mag elite levers and springs and cut your own bearing carrier out of a piece of brass plate. I super glued some radio shack rare earth mags on and it works just like the real thing. I took pictures of this last year for Tres down at Hatteras Outfitters but I never got around to developing the film. Someday I'll get around to posting them.

Hey bobinma... please post those pics asap I am very curious to learn that conversion. And my hats off to you for thinking it up!

I am a clutz with that kinda stuff maybe if you can find the time later I'll have a left handed 65o1 reel sent to you and you can mag it up for me... I'll throw in an extra 50 bucks and a picture series of Pamela Anderson caught twitching a pink pencil popper.

Now thas an offer no red blooded surf man can refuse... hee hee hee

Very Enticing, you'll need lots of patience tho. I've got reels here from my co-workers that have been here for over a year. My projects move at the pace of the earths plate movement.

Yo Awesome.Yer problem is yer not crusty enough yet.You need additional crustiness so you can be a reactionary dinosaur that insists on doing everything the hard way.

Course you could get your hands reversed and cast backwards.

Hey 10x10 you know you my be right...

I need more crust...

I will not use any more toilet paper until I can finally turbo cast an equally crusty Squider....

wait ..... on second thought my girlfriend would cut off my bobbers if I did that... I got a better idea..

Hey Bobinma.... I will up the anty on those Pamela Anderson picks and throw in a set of Bitany Spears "special surf fishing series pics" where shes measuring the keepers.

Now that ought get those earth plates of yours moving faster and maybe finally get a reasonable left handed good casting full featured surf reel into my hands by 2002..

One final note... we are always told that the tackle manufacturers read these posts... well I hope so cause I just want to say that the first manufacturer that makes a "top quality" long casting "mag featured" hi tech (mucho ball bearings) BIG CONVENTIONAL SURF CASTING "LEFT HANDED" REEL is gonna get a pleasant surprise in sales... alot of sales!

I'll tell you why ... because with this new technology the reels are easier to tame and the "cross over crowd from spinning reels to conentional is a substantial sized sleeper market!!!!" If you would have told me 2 years agao that I would be using a conventional reel I would have sent you to therapy... but now conventionals give a nice challange and a new aspect to an already facinating sport. But when the fishing gets serious I reach for my spinning gear.. now if they made a killer hi tech left handed reel I would stay with the conventionals... and I know I would not be alone...

yeah .... something like 7000 or 7500 size.. 6 ball bearings.. 8 magnets.. big rubber handle (like on the Trinidad) instant anti reverse.. 6.1 to 1 retreive... yeah yeah.. alturnate spool cap brake (like the mage elite) yeah yeah oooo ...light aluminum spool.. and good pro gear looks to die for...

Boing! ooops.. "blush"

yeah .... something like 7000 or 7500 size.. 6 ball bearings.. 8 magnets.. big rubber handle (like on the Trinidad) instant anti reverse.. 6.1 to 1 retreive... yeah yeah.. alturnate spool cap brake (like the mage elite) yeah yeah oooo ...light aluminum spool.. and good pro gear looks to die for...

Boing! ooops.. "blush"

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! I want one, I want one. MAke it a pretty color too, like Bronze to match the Arra's.

Yeah bronze!!!! thats a great idea...

"And" to match that beautiful Ron Arra Bronze colored reel ...how about "titanium plated hardwear" and screws !!! Ooooooo that would be to die for..

whats missing? Whats missing?

a cool side plate emblem logo of a striped bass.... and a snazzy name like "The Surf Rider"

whats missing? Whats missing?

About the only thing missing now is Pamela Anderson cranking it for you!

"Biong" ooops.. "blush"