bob_G

Why is the canal.......

Rate this topic

191 posts in this topic

its the poor summer i reckon - i saw the RV crowds at Scusset and Sandy Neck at 6/7am this morning when it was 41F and was headscratch.gif

same thing at 2pm coming back from Barnstable with the queues on RT6.

Bob..

you make an excellent observation, and that means a lot coming from someone who has been fishing the canal for as long as you have. I myself have made the same observation in just the few weeks i have been able to fish this fall. I lived 5 minutes from the canal for the first 26 years of my life and i never remember seeing as many guys fishing as i have these past few weeks.

I remember when the CCC Chamber of Commerce tourney started and the herring run was HOTT!! it was insane how busy it was down there. But i also remember being able to fish at the sagamore bridge and have only a dozen guys spread out on good breaking tides! we would look down at the 100 or so guys stacked up from pole 205 to pole 195 and just laugh and shake our heads.

now though, it seems that people have discovered that there are good places to fish throughout the canal. i drove down sandwich road a couple of weeks ago. i was working and we were coming back from boston at 5am on a saturday morning. i counted at least 50 vechicles parked along the road. 50!!!

to me, fishing just isn't as fun when you have to compete with so many. i don't want to sound like im mad about this, but it certainly bothers me. i do remember my father telling me stories about the phenomenal fishing on nauset in the late 70's and how there would be 100 guys lined up banging big fish. i can't imagine how people do that!

to me, it comes down to this. i go fishing because i enjoy fishing. i don't go fishing to catch tons of fish. i enjoy being by myself, away from the crowds. i like to fish with a few friends, not a couple of hundred. i stayed home the last three mornings because i knew it was going to be a mad house. i guess i will have to resort to fishing new spots.

the canal is a very difficult place to fish. Ask me, i'll tell yafrown.gif. Some/most of these guys that made the trek this past weekend won't be coming back, because of how difficult it is, plus the price of gas and the fact ya get old men yellin' at yacwm31.gif. That alone is reason enough to never come back.wink.gif I'll be back though. I know my place, take more trash out of the canal than i bringsmile.gif. Fish far away from most(not into crowds). Law of averages will bring me back too. plus i'm a firm believer that even a broken clock is right twice a day.redface.gif Sooner or later i'll catch a keeper at the canal.

It has been a little busy along the banks... Gotta go early to get a good spot ..I know im pretty beat up from all the early morning dragging my arse out of bed to go jig some lead for a few hours and not have much to show for it... Got more on top water but still nothing large.... Oh well a few more weeks of standing on a rock and then I will be dragging my arse out of bed to go sit in a tree....

View PostBob..

you make an excellent observation, and that means a lot coming from someone who has been fishing the canal for as long as you have. I myself have made the same observation in just the few weeks i have been able to fish this fall. I lived 5 minutes from the canal for the first 26 years of my life and i never remember seeing as many guys fishing as i have these past few weeks.

I remember when the CCC Chamber of Commerce tourney started and the herring run was HOTT!! it was insane how busy it was down there. But i also remember being able to fish at the sagamore bridge and have only a dozen guys spread out on good breaking tides! we would look down at the 100 or so guys stacked up from pole 205 to pole 195 and just laugh and shake our heads.

now though, it seems that people have discovered that there are good places to fish throughout the canal. i drove down sandwich road a couple of weeks ago. i was working and we were coming back from boston at 5am on a saturday morning. i counted at least 50 vechicles parked along the road. 50!!!

to me, fishing just isn't as fun when you have to compete with so many. i don't want to sound like im mad about this, but it certainly bothers me. i do remember my father telling me stories about the phenomenal fishing on nauset in the late 70's and how there would be 100 guys lined up banging big fish. i can't imagine how people do that!

to me, it comes down to this. i go fishing because i enjoy fishing. i don't go fishing to catch tons of fish. i enjoy being by myself, away from the crowds. i like to fish with a few friends, not a couple of hundred. i stayed home the last three mornings because i knew it was going to be a mad house. i guess i will have to resort to fishing new spots.

I agree with you that is one of the reasons why I went to race point instead because I don't like the crowds. It's one of the reason my fresh water boat as at 25 4-Str because I can fish lady Q. For me I fish to be out there, catching is only a bonus. I spent my summers down the cape since I was a kid and fished almost every place U think of never really had great success down in the ditch. But then again after reading Z's book and a few other, well lets say I have changed the way I fish.

thx

x

i do remember my father telling me stories about the phenomenal fishing on nauset in the late 70's and how there would be 100 guys lined up banging big fish. i can't imagine how people do that!

I remember that like it was yesterday.The group I fished with back then thought Nauset and Race Point were crowded and we complained (just to ourselves) about it but we caught fish and had a great time and that's the bottom line.

Now it's "combat fishing". The crowds today are considerbly larger than those in the late 60's and early 70's. For me this takes some of the enjoyment out of the sport and I make every effort to fish at off peak times.

There was room away from the crowds, Brad. I fished the mainland side on Friday, and had one of my prime jigging spots all to myself at 5 AM. I met a fling group later on and it was basically just the 4-5 of us throwing to breaking fish. The lack of parking access between the run and the campground seems to keep the crowds manageable. It's pretty much limited to guys with bikes, and guys brave enough to climb the 100 steps of death.

Cape side, with a parking turn-out every 200 yards or so--well, you saw it. shakehead.gif

The Canal? Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

There have been more people than I have seen in my 15 or so years. I am typically the first one to the area I park. By the time it gets bright, I am surrounded.

Not good, not bad, just busy. Gotta say 99% of the guys are courteous. This is a plus. I haul out a lot more trashed line and supermarket bought frozen bait boxes(Squid,Smelt,etc...) than I have ever had to in the past though.

I'll be there in the dark tomorrow a.m.

The canal gets all the press (lots of PB's have been posted on the net recently) and it's been the best year down there since I've been fishing salt. I think those are the very simple answers along with the tourney's, meets, etc. this weekend.

It is funny though that even when the fishing to the south and north of there is hot for days, you almost never hear about it. Hope it stays that way. For instance *** in ******** is going off right now and no one has been there the whole weekend. BTW I'm heading out for the turn so hopefully everyone is on their way home. wink.gif

don't fish the canal regularly, but every now and then, including lately, and i think it's mostly a comination of a few things.

1st - the seals are scaring people off the outer beaches

2nd - means more people fishing elsewhere, like the canal, and that puts more fish on the boards spiking interest

3rd - people see these posts and figure why bother with spending the gas to go looking looking further down cape

that said, the canal has had some real nice runs this yearbiggrin.gif

View Postdon't fish the canal regularly, but every now and then, including lately, and i think it's mostly a comination of a few things.

1st - the seals are scaring people off the outer beaches

2nd - means more people fishing elsewhere, like the canal, and that puts more fish on the boards spiking interest

3rd - people see these posts and figure why bother with spending the gas to go looking looking further down cape

that said, the canal has had some real nice runs this yearbiggrin.gif

why do seals scare people? I saw one yesterday and everyone moved off of the area, one I guy told be because if you do catch they will eat the fish, is that it? Or is their a chance of the seal go after the lure?

thx

x