Why is the canal.......

Rate this topic

bob_G

View Post....suddenly so popular/crowded?confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I've never seen it like this in 30 years of living here? It's like the Conn river shad derby. Is it the Ditch Fling? The Gibby? The easy access via Rt 495 and Rt 3? Cheaper gas?

Compared to years past, the fall fishing really sort of sux. Maybe gas needs to be $7 a gallon.cwm40.gif

Bob,

The past few days have been absolutley brutal! Until I read your post I thought I caused it. I was fishing alone at the crack of dawn and landed a few good ones and then hooked into what ended up being a 40 -1/2 incher. I keep the drag on my VS 250 fairly tight but this fish pulled a few times and wanted to make a run for it when the drag went off, (VS reels have a loud drag alarm). I got it in and measured it three times before letting it go. Then just like in some Sci-Fi movie all these people starting showing up, like they were dropping out of the sky, carrying their cups of coffee, their trout rods and tackle boxes crawling down the rocks and wanting to fish shoulder to shoulder with me. I barked at them and asked for breathing room and explained there was fourteen miles of fishable areas here don't fish on top of me. Most re-located but the numbers kept coming fortuneately they kept their distance. Some probably said don't get near that old timer he's a real crouch.

an astute observation you have madebiggrin.gif

Some of the metigating circumstances that resulted in a rather good influx over this past week end .

The morning breaking tides were bringing some nice fish.biggrin.gif

The beach guys got chased from the beaches seals and hardly any fishargue.gif

You al;so had a few folks from the fall fling in attendance [about 50]

You also had the Gibby folks [about 160]

Now you also had those camping []about another 50]

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

View Post....suddenly so popular/crowded?confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I've never seen it like this in 30 years of living here? It's like the Conn river shad derby. Is it the Ditch Fling? The Gibby? The easy access via Rt 495 and Rt 3? Cheaper gas?

Compared to years past, the fall fishing really sort of sux. Maybe gas needs to be $7 a gallon.cwm40.gif

Because fishing on the South Shore sux

Because fishing on the North Shore (PI) sux

Because fishing the seal infested cape sux ..

CC Canal is the last strong hold .. Catching little fish is better than catching bubble weed and always a chance at large..

Belcher Goonfoock

Ditch Troll #2

View PostBecause fishing on the South Shore sux

Because fishing on the North Shore (PI) sux

Because fishing the seal infested cape sux ..

CC Canal is the last strong hold .. Catching little fish is better than catching bubble weed and always a chance at large..

BINGO!! clapping.gif

Surfcasting is NOT a crime.

View PostDo you think that we are adding fuel to the fire tongue.gif

The CC is not as hot as guys make it out to be I can think of about 20 other places that would be the same distance from my house that are 100 times better than the CC. Anyone can fish the CC but only a hand full of guys will catch big bass.

"Get up, stand up, and fight for your rights" Bob Marley
Catch & Release + Respect Mother Nature

I never saw so many guys who brought knives to a gunfight as I did this morning. 6' rods, trying to throw 3-1/2 oz plugs kooky.gif

The crowds aren't as thick at 3 AM, fellas wink.gif

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

maybe all of the awesome pics of big fish caught in the canal on all of the striper sites got everyone all excited too. I don't make it down there all that much so I have no idea what a bad crowd looks like on the canal. All I know is that late at night on a work night there arent too many people around even at pip's.

Nature punishes any neglect of prudence Ralph Waldo Emerson
To know and not act is not to know Hagukure