bob_G

Why is the canal.......

Rate this topic

189 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2019 at 0:35 PM, bob_G said:

I first heard the term jamoke when I was a teenager on Bell Rd. I asked my father what it meant, and he told me to never use the term. He said it was a vulgar,  derogatory racist term. :rolleyes:

It wasn't until years later I learned it was deferring to an old horse 

who cares what the Italians think. 

On 10/7/2008 at 8:40 PM, keepah said:

The internet (sites like this) is the primary reason. Some people don't want to admit it because they are so fond of their favorite sites but it is the truth. When no one was posting reports in July the assumption was the canal and shore fishing was dead. The truth is that the regulars were experiencing some of the best shore fishing in the last decade. Maybe longer. As soon as pictures of personal bests, and reports of 30# fish started popping up, the place blew wide open. I heard way too many guys talking about what they saw and read on the internet. While there are other avenues of blowing up a spot, nothing does the job faster than reaching an infinite audience through the internet.

The warnings were put out there over 10 years ago and many here didn’t want to hear it. Sucks ending up on the wrong side of history but going back in time can show you where things might have been changed. 

Check out this clip about the overcrowding on Mt Everest. 

I see many parallels with the canal:

1. Better technology/available info opens the door for less experienced people

2. everyone wants to brag on the internet about how awesome they are

3. And the planet is overpopulated

13 mins ago, Pescador710 said:

Check out this clip about the overcrowding on Mt Everest. 

I see many parallels with the canal:

1. Better technology/available info opens the door for less experienced people

2. everyone wants to brag on the internet about how awesome they are

3. And the planet is overpopulated

SOL spot burn?

Only part of the problem. I think the other sites (social media) makes it worse. You might not like what Tailslap posts but he is spot on. He is a good guy and a hell of a fisherman (if you have seen him in action you would know what I mean) and he does like to stir the pot and that's fine too!

12 mins ago, K Foley said:

Only part of the problem. I think the other sites (social media) makes it worse. You might not like what Tailslap posts but he is spot on. He is a good guy and a hell of a fisherman (if you have seen him in action you would know what I mean) and he does like to stir the pot and that's fine too!

He sure is redundant. I'd like his take on what the canal would be like today if SOL had never existed. The interwebs would still have had plenty of reports and the idiots have been around since the dawn of time. We had the collapse and closure of the fishery in the mid 80's to the early 90's. I told you so and no one listened ...

15 hours ago, Tailslap said:

The warnings were put out there over 10 years ago and many here didn’t want to hear it. Sucks ending up on the wrong side of history but going back in time can show you where things might have been changed. 

you regularly try and act like you are Nostradamus or something. lol. everyone saw what the impact of the internet and social media would do to a lot of things, fishing included. you must look like a fiddler crab from constantly patting yourself on the back in every thread you post in...look it me!! look it me!! :laugh:

20 hours ago, Tailslap said:

The whole fishery is at the point that it was back in the late 1970s, when there were a ton of bass in a local area--then it was the Outer Beach--and the rest of the Striper Coast was like the Dead Sea.  The difference being that you needed an OSV to get to the fish then, whereas right now the fish are basically in a drive-up fishery. There are still a lot of guys fishing the Canal, my generation, who should have learned a lesson, but either never learned or forgot. The price tag should have been taken off the heads of bass when the moratorium ended in the late 1980s. I can't blame guys who either weren't born, or were toddlers, during the last crash as much as I blame guys my age or older. Talk about being on the wrong side of history. :( 

1 hour ago, Ditch Jigger said:

The whole fishery is at the point that it was back in the late 1970s, when there were a ton of bass in a local area--then it was the Outer Beach--and the rest of the Striper Coast was like the Dead Sea.  The difference being that you needed an OSV to get to the fish then, whereas right now the fish are basically in a drive-up fishery. There are still a lot of guys fishing the Canal, my generation, who should have learned a lesson, but either never learned or forgot. The price tag should have been taken off the heads of bass when the moratorium ended in the late 1980s. I can't blame guys who either weren't born, or were toddlers, during the last crash as much as I blame guys my age or older. Talk about being on the wrong side of history. :( 

If every one could have had a crystal ball and no one sold fish and no one poached them , every thing would have been different without the cell phone group and the internet helping out the cause to help deplete the resource. Then again that goes to how it was  managed as well so none of us should  sit on the rightness throne that it was all the users fault , for every one can take a little responsibility going back into time before you or I were even born to see the unfolding movie of how not to manage a fishery that still to this day, for both commercial and recreationan has open  wounds of misguided attempts on how to manage the resources we still have left . Who do we hold responsible for the cod,pollack,smelt,flounder, fluke resources that some of once fished on with great success.   Lets us all face the bear truth that we simply have to many fishing just one resource and for the most part with out ethics and being disrespectful of the habitat  and the fish those of what are left any how.

8 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

you regularly try and act like you are Nostradamus or something. lol. everyone saw what the impact of the internet and social media would do to a lot of things, fishing included. you must look like a fiddler crab from constantly patting yourself on the back in every thread you post in...look it me!! look it me!! :laugh:

So says the guy with 133,192 posts. Most of which are the equivalent of poking someone in the eye with a stick  Who is really looking for attention here........

Edited by Tailslap