bob_G

Why is the canal.......

Rate this topic

191 posts in this topic

....suddenly so popular/crowded?confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I've never seen it like this in 30 years of living here? It's like the Conn river shad derby. Is it the Ditch Fling? The Gibby? The easy access via Rt 495 and Rt 3? Cheaper gas?

Compared to years past, the fall fishing really sort of sux. Maybe gas needs to be $7 a gallon.cwm40.gif

View Post....suddenly so popular/crowded?confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I've never seen it like this in 30 years of living here? It's like the Conn river shad derby. Is it the Ditch Fling? The Gibby? The easy access via Rt 495 and Rt 3? Cheaper gas?

Compared to years past, the fall fishing really sort of sux. Maybe gas needs to be $7 a gallon.cwm40.gif

The East end the past few mornings has looked like New Jersey. I won't even go into details about the four people from RI (not knocking RI, just expressing that people are traveling) that were hammered trying to jig the canal from the pier.

All those things. Plenty of chatter on this and other boards too. Plus its been umm... moderately good there lately.... But I agree - drove along the Cape side on the way to a beach in the Sandwich area yesterday morning, and then along the other side on the way back to get gas in Buzz Bay (where it is 25 cents a gallon cheaper than the cheapest place in Falmouthmad.gif) and it was the same thing. More cars and trucks of fishermen than I've seen in 35 years of living here. Still plenty of room to spread out though.

I've never seen anything like this.kooky.gifkooky.gifkooky.gif

These giant rigs showing up, covered with rods, and coolers. Totally clueless guys tossing lures I've never seen before, with clearly no concept of what the tide means by the direction of their casts?confused.gif

Not to mention, more litter than I've seen all season.shakehead.gif

I never even fished this morning. I went back home.

FWIW, i have noticed alot of discussion about how great the fishing in the canal has been. Pictures of big fish etc. Would have to think it has some effect. Too bad. one of the things I have loved about the canal in the past is fishing a mid october night with great fishing and hardly anyone around. that was something I always found puzzling.

View PostI've never seen anything like this.kooky.gifkooky.gifkooky.gif

These giant rigs showing up, covered with rods, and coolers. Totally clueless guys tossing lures I've never seen before, with clearly no concept of what the tide means by the direction of their casts?confused.gif

Not to mention, more litter than I've seen all season.shakehead.gif

I never even fished this morning. I went back home.

NJ. PLATES ? biggrin.gif

...Anybody see the tuna feeding on bluefish across from Mr Arra?

The spray was sent 10ft in the air !! SPECTACULAR !!

View Post....suddenly so popular/crowded?confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I think it is a combination of all the factors you mention above including the "when" i.e. the coincidence of some big fish, the Gibby start, the Fling and a good set of weekend tides. Hopefully we don't get an alignment of the planets like this for another 50 years! I also think that expensive gas has contributed to the canal crowd. Folks that would head down cape just are not making the drive this year.

View PostLoose lips,Sink ships! plus the "seal sanctuarys" on the outer cape.

I think this is the root cause.

7or8 years ago there would be parking lots overflowing at 2am at some of the well known Wellfleet and Truro beaches at this time of year.

I haven't been there yet this fall but I bet there is not more than a handful each night now.

In the summer they are all but deserted at least when I have been there.

I imagine a good number of those people are now Canal regulars.

I did not go this am, fished yesterday starting at 3:45 am - stayed in 1 spot all morning til someone came 10 ft to my left as I was jigging the east tide.

It is just not fun with that many people - I do understand all have a right but crowds of this magnitude are really out of control. From the Crib to the Bourne Scenic Park no exaggeration there must have been 300+ people -

Just my thoughts

Tper