150 Yamaha hpdi bad cylinder

Rate this topic

Seadog25

Anyone have problems with this particuler engine? It's a 2001 150 Yamaha hpdi 2 stroke. Looks like the oil stopped mixing w/ the fuel in #2 cylinder and burned out the rings. Checked the compression on all cylinders and this one was about 25psi, the others are a little over 100psi. Let the flamming begin...

We have one and haven't had any problems with ours up until last week. When it gets to 3000 rpm's it jerks back to 2000 rpm's back and forth. My neighbor told us the problem and we fixed it though.

On the other hand my neighbor blew apart his engine. Not sure exactly what he did to it, but it blew out on him 4 times on 1 tuna trip, and he had problems every trip with his all year.

I have the non hpdi 150 Yamaha, ie carb engine and have no issues after 9yrs. Do you use ring- free with your gas? This sounds like it may be related to ethanol. Does your engine get used frequently? It sounds like the rings got stuck somehow. Good luck getting to the root of the problem. JP

JohnP, Lurejunky99 thanks for the response. I'll have to say I don't know about ring free being used. I just bought this boat with this engine the other day and I knew it had a bad cylinder (this will be my winter project). In talking w/ the owner prior to purchase he said the injector on that particular cylinder stopped mixing oil. He did use stabil in the gas. I don't know much about Yamaha's and hpdi and was wondering if it will be worth the price of fixing this only to have more problems down the road (out to sea...yikes).

I've had great performance w/ my carbed Johnson 112 on my 20 Maritime that I'm selling, and that had ethanol problems when I purchased it. But I got it running and religiously stabiled the gas, I also ran the hell out of that boat so the gas was always fresh.