Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Fluorocarbon vs. heat

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

How resistant is fluorocarbon leader (not line, and not fluorocoated monofilament) to degredation from heat? I had an interesting and annoying experience with 40 lb. mono leader this evening, the line shredding on the cast without a nick. This was newly taken from a quarter pound spool that lives in the truck .... and there's the rub: it's been exposed to two years' worth of temperature cycles. I suspect that the temperature fluctuations did in the mono. Alas, there's been a fair amount of fluoro in the truck for the same interval. If it's now suspect, I'd like to know. We have any polymer chemists aboard?

Damn, I tried to answer.. But I erased it..

I HAVE NO IDEA.. IMSO(in my stupid opinion) I think flouro will last longer but will still break down.. Just is a little more resistant that regular mono..

I have had flouro break while tying a knot.. Only to have the next few wraps break until I got down deeper into the spool.. The it was OK.. I suspect sunlight did it in..

ErikT

Was the spool subject to direct sunlight? I know this takes it's toll on mono over time and will break down the properties of the line. I'm not sure how different Floro is compared to mono but I'd assume that Sunlight would damage the Floro as well. As for temperature I haven't a clue.icon15.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

SOL #25

dubs@stripersonline.com

No, all my spools are tucked away in a box - the line sees sun only when on the reel. Taking no chance, I've broken out a fresh spool of 40

(Pline C-XXX, real test is probably 60+) and will install new shock leaders on all the reels that have'em. Phooey.