David(NH)

Wading boot/ THE BEES KNEES for rock hoppers.

Rate this topic

431 posts in this topic

I will also show my before and after pics of grip studs and how they performed this season. I will let the pics do the talking, but i will say... the grip studs exceeded my high expectations... big time.

not sure if you already have the INS studs, but if not I would Highly recommend getting grip studs... no need for fender washers, or

anything else for that matter. They stay put, dont lean, and are rock solid. There is no close comparison in my opinion.

Not the clearest picture, but an update on grip studs after a year in the surf:

I pulled them out of a pair of Patagonias and popped them into a pair of Simms Freestones. These 1800 studs are, as Pete mentions, what you will all eventually buy. Not one stud budged all season, over 60 trips (conservative estimate) to many locations including Cutty, canal, cape, RI, CT, CT streams and rivers, Pulaski etc. Plenty of awkward rocks and awkward pressure points and still no stud out of place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch59 View Post

I pulled them out of a pair of Patagonias and popped them into a pair of Simms Freestones. These 1800 studs are, as Pete mentions, what you will all eventually buy. Not one stud budged all season, over 60 trips (conservative estimate) to many locations including Cutty, canal, cape, RI, CT, CT streams and rivers, Pulaski etc. Plenty of awkward rocks and awkward pressure points and still no stud out of place.

Remind me again how much each stud costs?  I recall looking last year and they were quite expensive.  Glad they held up.

Thats great Scratch, thanks. I'm curious about how they look in the sole. They are pretty long, right?

Remind me again how much each stud costs?  I recall looking last year and they were quite expensive.  Glad they held up.

Obviously not cheap. Don't know if you can order them in smaller quantities. Could maybe organize a Group Buy to try and get a better rate....

Ordering Info:

Pack of 100 Studs: $119.95

Pack of 150 Studs: $177.95

Tools for #1800

#4800 Power Install Tool: $9.95

#OFF1 Removal Tool: $9.95

So lets say 25 studs X $1.25 = ~$32 + tools ($20) + Simms ($150) = ~$200.

I guess it's comparable to the costs of other solutions (Korkers Redsides + Castrax = $180), although it looks like the grip studs will outlast the Korkers.  Only question I do have is that if the studs fail, how easy are they to replace (i.e. once a hole has been made, arent the replacement studs looser?)

I think you have it right, as NH Granite boulder fields are way different than most southern coastline. I've been thru RI and that rock structure is much softer than ours. I'm glad someone found the right cleat for there're conditions.

Be safe out there and best of luck guys!

DNH

Obviously not cheap. Don't know if you can order them in smaller quantities. Could maybe organize a Group Buy to try and get a better rate....

Ordering Info:

Pack of 100 Studs: $119.95

Pack of 150 Studs: $177.95

Tools for #1800

#4800 Power Install Tool: $9.95

#OFF1 Removal Tool: $9.95

There isn't a difference between the install and removal tool, you just put the drill in reverse.

Here are some more pics...

These studs are as rock solid as it gets. I would gladly have paid double if I could go back in time

and have them all the years i struggled with other crap.

They are worth every penny, and there is no savings in buying inferior gear over and over. Buy the best once.