Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SeaMaster711

Salt Water Assasins & Kalins grubs

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have a good selection of Storm Wildeyes, but I need a little more variety, and in Spring I wqas told plastics can be very productive.

Today at Sports Authority I ran into Saltwater Assasins. They looked really nice and oily, in a million different colors. $2.50 a pack on sale they weren't bad, so I bought 10 packs in different colors. 7 of them in the fin-s fish style, in different colors, 4". and 3 packs in a fin-s type, except with a curly tail at the end, 3".

Are Saltwater Assasins good lures? What size jigheads should I be rigging these above mentioned plastics on?

Also picked up a few packs of Kalins 3" grubs in Salt and pepper....these good curly tail grubs?

When should I be using these mainly? April and May, when the herring migration is taking place? Or in summer time?

Thanks! cwm12.gif

------------------

Tight Lines!

-Vic

The rubbers are a good replication of the smaller fish of the spring. Generally, in the spring you are going to be faced with young of the year baitfish that were just recently born, and they can be really small, and mimicking these small baits will be key. In the fall, they will be considerably bigger from growing up in the season, so you should be using bigger imitations.

As far as the bass assisns go, they will do the job fine. I would rig the weight depending on current and where you want them to be in the water. With less current and shallow water, go with a lighter weight, even down to 1/8 ounce or as low as 1/16, but watch out for brittle hooks. With heavy water and fast current with deep water, you can easily use a 2 ozer in these locations. The key to it all is to match the bait in your area, if you see and bait in your area, take out a lure that looks like that bait.

The plastic assins are good sand-eel, spearing, and rain bait imitations, although in the spring I think it is more based on a sand eel imiatation considering the spearing and rain bait in my area during the spring time months are around 1 inch big, and I find the smallest fin-s fish is the only thing that works. During the summer months you can step is up a notch with the size because the bait will be bigger, and then you can use a bigger imitation in the fall, but these are just generalizations. The specifics will be determined with the area you are fishing, just remember to mimick the bait and you should be fine.

I am sure other people out there have some more to say about this subject, anyone care to share biggrin.gif

Is a 4" plastic gonna look natural on a 2 ounce jighead when it doesnt properly fit on a 1 ounce?

Well, I think the most important thing about fishing the jig heads, is getting them in front of the fish, not exactly how they look, know what I mean?

Use the 1ozer if you don't want to go as deep as the 2ozer.