Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Indian River Inlet - turbine installation proposal

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Plug mentioned something about this at the IRI Flingette...apparently it's still in the works. I was just emailed the following, it's a message that was sent to the CCA-MD, I was asked to share it here:

am a Md. member but wanted to alert your organization to the proposal of UEK Corporation of Annapolis, MD., and UEK-Delaware Limited Partnership to place a series of bi-directional hydroturbines suspended in one of the prime striped bass habitats on the MidAtlantic, Indian River Inlet, Delaware, to generate electricity. We fear this will ruin a tremendous natural recreational resource. A public hearing is scheduled for 7pm on Wed., Feb. 18 at Lord Baltimore Elementary School, Route 26, Ocean View, Delaware. Please acknowledge and advise if more information is needed.

I have no idea of the logistics of what these turbines would do, but knowing how the $$ and greed have always put the natural world second, I can only imagine the effect would be quite detrimental frown.gif

TimS

Nobody knows the effects Tim. There is concern about harm done to baitfish by the turbines. I've also heard the noise detracts fish.

I do know that our area has a healthy resident summertime striper fishery for one reason and one reason only, the Indian River Inlet. Destroy that place and our area will offer one month in the spring and one month in the fall mediocre at best surf fishing for rock.

I feel sick. Seriously.

I'm all for alternative energy sources and harnessing the power of nature, but this is not a good idea.

With such a small area and such a fragile fishery, it won't do very much good.

If you had to pick, an offshore wind farm destroying your natural view or turbines in IRI, what would it be?

I can't even get a mental picture of such an operation in an inlet...what about it's effects on navigation of the waterway? Does anyone have info on another instance where this type of operation is in place and functioning? Just curious.

There are apparently two approaches to tide turbines, one is to build a "dam" across and estuary and put turbines in it to take advantage of the tidal difference in head at high and low tide, and example is the Rance tidal power plant in France. The other is to place turbines on poles that stick up above the high tide water level and are space so that boats can pass between them, sort of like the proposed windmill farm proposed for offshore but in the inlet and underwater. The area of the rips south of the Coast Guard station would be a likely candidate location, I think. If you want to research this subject the fastest way is to use a searcher called Teoma [ www.Teoma.com ] and look for Tidal Power Generation, tide turbine generation. Here are a couple of information sites that probably have more information that you want or need.

http://www.darvill.clara.net/altenerg/tidal.htm

http://acre.murdoch.edu.au/refiles/tidal/text.html

John

Turbines in the inlet? Aren't there enough power plants in our area?? We aren't in some third world country here...

Sounds like another horrible idea..

Thanks RJ. After looking at a few of those sites I feel like I fell asleep and woke up in that crappy movie "Waterworld" upck.gif We can't even get a reasonable Menhaden management plan and some company wants to seal off our inlets to make electricity?! We've dammed up most of the big rivers in this country, I guess the next "logical" step is to do the same to our estuaries cwm13.gif The one bright spot is that we wouldn't hafta do any of our own filleting anymore, the blades on the turbines will do all of the work for us! confused.gif Oh yeah, I've got this great idea to reduce sand erosion on our beaches...it involves dumping a bunch of chemicals in the sand and waiting to see what happens to the environment redface.gif

Destroy that place and our area will offer one month in the spring and one month in the fall mediocre at best surf fishing for rock.

At that point, you might as well move to Joisey wink.gif

Sorry Plug, I'm trying to make light of a very serious situation. The sad thing is if your "impact" studies are done like the ones in NJ, they'll make the multi billion dollar power company look like they are actually going to do the environment some good rolleyes.gif I still want to see the impact studies done for NJ that said pumping a few hundred million tons of mucky, green mud on our shores, covering the natural bottom with 5-10ft of offshore nastiness, wasn't going to have a detrimental effect on the critters that used to live there cwm13.gif

Get behind any fight to stop these turbines. NJ went ahead with the beach destruction plans without anyone I know ever hearing about a public meeting cwm13.gif

TimS

But, I bet a could 12 lb anchors in those turbines could cause some problems for them

Only in the very short term...and wouldn't be too far from a terrorist type act. We're a peaceful people here smile.gif

TimS

Plug,

Ever hear the old saying, "you can't fight city hall"? Nothing could be futher from the truth. You can fight, and you can win. You and other surfcasters just have to get mad, and get motivated. Who are your elected representatives? Find out what their position is on the turbines. Pound them with letters and phone calls that this is an election year, and if they support the turbines, you and all the other Delmarva fisherman will vote them out. Nothing will terrify a politician more than a wave of voters on their case with an election around the corner. Omega Protein learned a hard lesson when they tangled with ticked off NJ fisherman. You can save the inlet. Don't let them take it from you.

You can save the inlet. Don't let them take it from you.

Good point Rich. It ain't over till the turbines are spinning.

TimS