Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Awesome John

Name The legends of Surf fishing that are still active today

Rate this topic

127 posts in this topic

You know them.... they dont talk too much... but you here it in the shops and on the beach.. "he caught another 40" or "no one had nothing except him"..

These guys are hard core.... they got the knack.... the X factor....

They catch when most guys are shooting the breeze in their jeeps..

Tell your best fishing tale involving your experieneces with any of these legendary casters...

heres mine....

I am sitting in the jeep with Ken Kassan ( known as the Tin Squid) from the Farragut striper club and we just finished a great inning at the bluffs noth of the light at "M" and the fishing thins out so we drive over to false bar to see fish breaking 2 casts out from the beach ... hundreds of casters throwing tin and getting ziltch.... Kenny laughs ans says to me "watch this" he steps out with a 8 foot rod with 10 pound test pink Ande and a smoky Joe red finn .. now that was interesting consdering that the fish were breaking 200 yards off the beach... he steps in between 2 casters in the picketline and "lobbs" out a cast... maybe 40 feet...

And you could see his concentration as he times the waves to keep the red finn right on the top during back washes keeping it struggling to create thay V wake... "slam" a 28 pounder slurps the bait and tails above the water trying to dive... after landing it Ken releases the fish and turns to me and says.."Percy taught me how to use a red finn" ( referring to the late Percy Heath regular of Montauk and renowed Jazz bassist) we walked back to the jeep and I couldnt understand how he knew the fish were at the rocks near the shore while everyone else was casting out to breaking fish off shore...

Ken did that kind of thing repeatedly where he would walk into a line of casters who were catching nothing and with his first cast slam into a good bass... Ken now lives in İthica New York and I havent seen him for a while...

The best "still active" caster from that golden clan who is still "fishing up a storm" is the ever productive "VİTO" .... if you want to learn a few tricks fish along Vito for a few hours.... some guys just got the touch...

They dont call them legends for nothings...

share your experinces

Harry B. One of the original West coast rock climbing/wet suit gang. The other would be Julio. At 79 & with only one lung he still climbed in & out of places guys half his age stay away from. Mike

Tony Chiarappo, he's is still stalking the beaches and other spots on Cape Cod.Not many young'uns can keep up with him either! On the rare occasion there are other people fishing near him ,he is the one catching the most and biggest (with the question"what ya get him on?" in the air). Most times though, he is alone,one with nature, sliding the bigguns back into the surf in the dead of night.

You know Jack Yee is also salty old bugger thats still out there wetsuiting at age 70 or something ... now that takes eggswink.gif or maybe he dosnt know where he is any longerbiggrin.gif

View PostHarry B. One of the original West coast rock climbing/wet suit gang. The other would be Julio. At 79 & with only one lung he still climbed in & out of places guys half his age stay away from. Mike

I second Harry B. as the west coast guru. His fishing exploits put the West Coast surf fishery on the map. He is also still very active and continues to fish the west coast waters. He is in his late 70's.

This one is easy, my Uncle Tony Saunders from Jersey. I am not just saying this because he is my Uncle, but because of all the hours he put in over the years, from building his own lures, to fishing when he got out of work and then going straight back into work. Most importantly, he could catch fish

Best story was him taking me to get my first striper. I was about 11 I believe. Had me walking the walls of deal lake with a long net to catch bait at 1am. Then went across the street to fish a jetty live lining them. I remember him telling me i would know when it hit. well, i was in the process of being spooled when i ask him, "Is this what you mean?" long story short, I caught my first striper with him. also fished the deal lake carp tournament once with him. he still gets out now, but not nearly as much. I have to see about dragging him out one of these days.

Carl Johansen

Steve Shiraka

Dave LaPorte

Tony Stetzko

Tony Chiarrapa sp?

The Cowboy .... Canal guy forgot real name

Dave Manzi

Bunch O` Ghosts

Bill Nolan

Steve McKenna

Tons more....