Stomach Contents

Rate this topic

Stanley K

• 2 months later...

Saw this on Instagram. This was the stomach contents of a smooth dogfish in Delaware.

78701EAC-26AD-456B-A005-ECA6600CD842.png

E61A168B-7616-4BC5-98A9-3E84E7F85472.png

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

On 7/1/2019 at 8:33 AM, TopwaterPete said:

That's 100% a juvie sea bass, not a scup. Also, not to critique anyone's fillet skills but you're missing the best nug of meat on the fish, behind the head. May I suggest cutting on a different angle; you'll salvage a lot more meat! Your knife should cut right behind the gill plate; you'll add about 2" of great thick meat on a big lumphead sea bass like that.

And, you should bleed the fish right when you catch it..much nicer fillets..

2 hours ago, Oldroe said:

Stomach contents is just a crazy concept.

I know what the fish ate.

It ate a bucktail or pencil plug maybe Tin.

Or what ever else I caught the fish on.

So Am I going to change my bait based on stomach contents .

"NO"

I see what you’re saying. But it can be super helpful when bait fishing. I’m primarily a bait guy, and it helps to see what fish are feeding on a certain time of year. It can be helpful for lures too. Are fish feeding on Mullet? Throw a Kastmaster or a swimbait. Bottom feeding? Shrimp. Also it’s just interesting.

Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

9 hours ago, Oldroe said:

Stomach contents is just a crazy concept.

I know what the fish ate.

It ate a bucktail or pencil plug maybe Tin.

Or what ever else I caught the fish on.

So Am I going to change my bait based on stomach contents .

"NO"

:dismay:

Doesn't get it...

Just b/c you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD....
(what you do DOES make a difference - be accountable)
BigWave Dave

27 mins ago, jon_elc said:

great thread!

I agree. Probably my favorite on the site. 

I’m probably gonna take **** for posting this but I don’t see any bucktails or pencil poppers in chartreuse swimming around as freely as I do spearing bunker robins ect. Stomach content s are the keys to success. So I would like to say yes I will change my bait/plug depending on what the fish ate or spit out. It’s very important to know these things and that’s why this forum is always top on the list. Because everyone wants to know what type of bait they are keyed in on.  PLUS.. these photos are awesome man !

Edited by Gooch88

Should've had a v8.

• 1 month later...

I got this 38", 22lber on Sun 11/4, my biggest fish for this late in the year in MA.

Schoolies and birds were on top chasing small bait. As low tide approached, I saw some macs stuck in the exposed rocks so I put on a green mac savage sand eel.

The bass slammmed it on the first cast. I checked her stomach when I filleted her. She had freshly  eaten macs in her stomach. Matching the hatch worked.

20191103_082654.jpg.c1294444a6406de080fc2a88a0753295.jpg

20191103_181123.jpg.02ec5c4cbc94d29b99ccb0c8186a86be.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, UncleJohn said:

Finally got my first keeper for the fall.   At first I thought that these were Peanut Bunker, but I think that they are too deep bodied to be bunker.    They look like juvenile Gizzard Shad to me ...  

Stomach1.jpg

Stomach2.jpg

Definitely looks like a shad to me.