Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FenderBender

Leader material

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

When making up hooks and leaders for bottom fishing, what leader material do you guys recommend. i.e. Al Goldberg will recommend a

'hard leader material in 60# test' for certain applications. To me, using a hard material is obviously to make the hook and leader stand out from the main line or leader better. What type of material constitutes "HARD"? Mono, flouro? Cheap line, premium line? One brand of line over another? Any recommendations are appreciated. confused.gif

For blackfish I go to my local B&T and just get 30 or 40lb 48" lengths of mono which cost about $0.10 each. They're good and stiff yet still easy enough to snell hooks with, and have served me well. I know others use heavier leaders but these work fine for me.

For other species(Porgies, sea bass, etc.) I'll use 20 to 30lb test leaders.

GOTTOG,

I have been making up rigs from spooled line for years and wondered what I was doing wrong. confused.gif These last few threads have revolutionized my potential ability to GET WITH IT! I need to experiment. Thanks guys! HappyWave.gif

Contact Terminal Tackle in Kings park, New York. They sell the 48-inch sticks of leader material in various tests.

I use either 30 lb or 50 lb test for most applications. 100 pieces of leader runs about $5-6 a bundle.

Al