Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
first2wins

Just moved to Ellicott City, MD

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Just moved into Ellicott City, Md any one have local areas I should look into? I didn't bring the yak but would like to get out on foot.

I have never done any freshwater, but Patapsco state park/ river is just down the street from me so I will probably venture over there some time this weekend if I don't make a NJ run.

The harbor access, late fall?

If I can do it I am going to still make trips back to NJ on the weekends, don't know if I will bring the yak or not.

I would also like to hit CBBT this fall as well.

Flats inthe spring

I live in Columbia MD, which is really close to you. I would recomend bringing down your Kayak and using it to fish in the Bay. I do it as often as I can and it is a blast...

The Patapsco is a great place to start. Up where Rt. 29 ends there's a several mile long stretch between the dam at the end of Daniels Road downstream to Rt. 40 that's full of smallmouths, bluegills and rockbass. Plenty of shore access, easy to wade. They stock it with trout early in the year, so it's a real zoo in there in the spring. I was up there Saturday and caught fish steady for 3-4 hours on flies, but an ultralight with small grubs and spinners will take all you want. You can also put the yak in above the dam and paddle upstream for a mile or so and get into some beautiful water. The slackwater isn't very productive, but once you get back into the moving water it can be great.

Yeah, also check out the nearby reservoirs, Rocky Gorge and Triadelphia, just a short hop down Rt. 29 from you. The Patuxent River above Triadelphia is a wonderful little trout stream.

Some folks already mentioned the Bay with your kayak, but google up Kent Narrows for some fun nighttime action.

View PostThe Patapsco is a great place to start. Up where Rt. 29 ends there's a several mile long stretch between the dam at the end of Daniels Road downstream to Rt. 40 that's full of smallmouths, bluegills and rockbass. Plenty of shore access, easy to wade. They stock it with trout early in the year, so it's a real zoo in there in the spring. I was up there Saturday and caught fish steady for 3-4 hours on flies, but an ultralight with small grubs and spinners will take all you want. You can also put the yak in above the dam and paddle upstream for a mile or so and get into some beautiful water. The slackwater isn't very productive, but once you get back into the moving water it can be great.

Doug,

I am intersted to hear more about this area, and others like it if you know of any. I am new to fly fishing, but have been ultra-light spin fishing for years. I love catching smallmouths and rock bass, and do a lot of that in Central Pennsylvania where my brother lives. If you would like to take the conversation offline, send me an email here at the forum or at steven.gutowski@yahoo.com.

Steve

Nicolerzc-

if you are talking about team as in competition probably not but if you are more suggesting a regular showing than I would be better able to gat back to you next month when I know exactly what my schedule will be like.

Doug Waterman

I will defiantly check this out by foot. Soon going to pick up a MD license this week and go form there.