Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

Carbide tipped router bits instead icon14.gificon14.gif

P81400022-1.jpg

No sanding on that blank yet clapping.gifclapping.gif

P81400042.jpg

P81400012.jpg

P8140022.jpg

One pass to cut the lure to shape and one skim pass to take off the last little bit.

I talked about doing this a couple years ago and was talked out of it. I just couldn't let it go and it's been eating at me since. I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and did it.

I think in the long run, the $15 router bits will wear better and longer. The better finish without having to sand much at all is the real bonus. The fact I can turn a blank into a lure in 30 seconds or less puts a smile on my face from ear to ear. biggrin.gif

Jason

That is awesome, I have a Vega 36 and I know they adapt a router to do fluting on spindles but have not seen it used like that. I would imagine you run the lathe at a slow speed, very cool! shaky.gif

Nice jig!clapping.gif And if you swap out that big live center with a revolving stebcenter you cound put a new blank on the lathe without even having to turn it off.wink.gif Question: do you do any turning other than plugs? A full size Powermatic lathe seems kind of overkill for just plugs.cwm13.gif

View PostJay has never been one to work in the "box"

In fact, I doubt he'll even let them bury him in one!!biggrin.gif

He comes up with some off the hook ideas!

Ron, I would bet that Jay never colored within the lines as a kid. Let the creative juices flow clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

View PostPS: I will send you some velcro for the dust collector remote. tongue.gif

I have three remotes that are in different locations in the shop. That one never moves and has been taped there for a year or so.

I keep one on the TS / shaper station and the other gets moved around as needed. It's nice not having to cross the room repeatedly to turn it on and off. Nicer still to not lose all three at the same time.

View PostNice jig!clapping.gif And if you swap out that big live center with a revolving stebcenter you cound put a new blank on the lathe without even having to turn it off.wink.gif Question: do you do any turning other than plugs? A full size Powermatic lathe seems kind of overkill for just plugs.cwm13.gif

I'm using a steb center drive and I already can swap them out without powering off. However, due to back and neck pain, I have to stop quite frequently to rest and stretch. 3 to 5 minutes in front of the lathe is all I can manage when doing lots of turning. It's easier to just take my time and stop between each blank.

BTW... the large cone on the llive center comes off and reveals a much smaller center beneath. I also have a live center set with a dozen or so different shaped points that I use on occasion.

With the M2 extensions on the head and tailstocks, I have more room to work with the blank more centrally located on the lathe.

View PostJay has never been one to work in the "box"

In fact, I doubt he'll even let them bury him in one!!biggrin.gif

He comes up with some off the hook ideas!

Thanks Ron.

I have to be honest, the response on this is not what I expected. Last time I breached the subject, the posters then thought I was crazy.

I'm gonna look for that thread to see if I remember it correctly.