Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tpoliti

Anyone fish Isla Mujeres or Isla Holbox (mexico)?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the right forum, if not please move it, but here's my question. Going to Isla Mujeres in March and thought I'd spend a couple of days in Isla Holbox as well. Has anyone fished any of these places?? Any info at all?

Thanks

Tony

I fished on my Honeymoon out of Puerta Aventura about 45 min. south of Isle Mujeres. Got a nice 50lb Wahoo and a Mahi Mahi. Bunch of Barracuda as well. Have you tried a google search of the sportfishing in the Cancun area.

There are cheap ways to fish if you want rent a mexican panga a smaller fishing boat thgat usually launches right off the shore. There is a huge reef that supports a diverse fishery.

I haven't been there (Mujeres) in a few years but....If you're really on a budget surf fish off the south end of the island. Used to have lots of Barracuda. If they rent kayaks check out the bay area in the weeds and then paddle south below Garrafon(?)

SII and I were there together, and the southeast end of the island seemed to have ton's of barracuda. Great diving down there. thought there was also some pretty significant pelagic fishing not too far off shore. S

Fished right off the coast of Isla Mujeres in 1998 and got a 65# white marlin, a 30# amberjack (which fought waaaayyy harder than the marlin and a couple huge bonita. My buddy Scott got a nice Mahi and several bonita and my boy Pat Ryan got a 75# sailfish--- schweeeeeet! It was a great day on the water for us all , except for Scott who was busy developing a healthy case of Montezumas revenge. When I get a chance I'll look up the charter we took. They were good guys and very hard working. Very little English though but it didn't matter....