Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfflyfish4stripers

Finally My First Blanks

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I'm so excited and happy that everything came out not so perfect but they look good to me for now,it was tricky at first but is a matter of getting used to it.

i'm going to see a great guy from this forum -plug builder-monday,he's going to teach me how to drill them and the basics,i'm very excited.. well guys thank you very much for the inspiration and knowledge you guys shared to put me into this position today. i would love some feedbacks about these blanks

yesbiggrin.gif they'll dive...the lighter the wood the more lively the action will be. in a current you may find there too lively and want to go to a heavyer ceder /cypressbiggrin.gif I built a pine pikie and found it too lively even after I weighted it in the chin...I had to oversize the hooks to get the action close to what I like...in a flat surf a lively action is great....as the surf or current builds a light plug may get out of controlbiggrin.gif but yes they'll dive...

You are off to a great start those look terrific .Hint - For eyes and hook placement it makes it easier to mark the plug with pencil before cutting ends off . Looking forward to seeing the results Good Luck Dock.

View PostYou are off to a great start those look terrific .Hint - For eyes and hook placement it makes it easier to mark the plug with pencil before cutting ends off . Looking forward to seeing the results Good Luck Dock.

can you describe the lines?,eyes,hooks,weight.

you know what striper, i'm a rookie on this and now i just learn that,you are right.i was just grabbing the roughing gouge and start cutting.i was and i've been experimenting shapes and forms and trying to do one style but i ended up with another,i wonder if is a rookie thing.i'm trying to learn the dannies and spooks.i know i'll get better while i learn,but for now,i think i have a good start.

again,i'm going to get together with russ on monday so i know i'll learn from him.but thank you for your feedback.

Dude the more you turn the better they will become. The ones in the first picture look nice. The hardest thing for me was getting smooth curves. I would find something I didn't like and in fixing that I would mess up a different part. That and making more than one the same. Like you said start with an idea in mind and work with what ever comes out.

Honestly for anyone new with the lathe it doesn't matter what you turn, just keep turning. Start with some thing in mind and if you mess up just play with that chunk.

I would bet you can get anything to swim if you put in the time, but it may be easier to take apart a plug you like and sand it down. Check out if and where weights are placed and move them around to see what effects it will have on the plug. Remember the hooks are weights also. From there you have a better idea what those placements will do to your plugs action.

The lines he is using for the eyes, hooks, weights are just that lines. They are markers for where you want to drill in order to keep things even. Black Talon gave me a good trick to keep the belly holes and any weights in line using a laser level. He doesn't use it but for those who don't trust our eyes it works well.

I also cut off my ends at first but if you are drilling by hand leave them on. It the indentations form the lathe will be starting points for your drill bit.

thank you first2win.

my favorite pattern is the Big Danny and the smaller Dannies. well here we go,thank you for the advice and thats the pattern i'm going to work on hard until i get it good. how this one look,i know the bigger one looks good.one thing i noticed is that i can still shape the plug with the sand paper while turning on the lathe,i was trying to make the full shape with the gouges.beers.gif I'M HOOOOOKKEEDDDDD.