Tough finish? What to expect?

Rate this topic

paxfish

So after an amazing topwater weekend, this virgin plug hit it's 100 striper, and will be retired. It's measurements and weight will be recorded, and I'll attempt to make many identical plugs this winter.

It is made from a hard local cedar (Viginia cypress?)

Anyway - what should we expect from our finishes? Considering the beating it took from many big fish, I'd say it did OK. Did the finish fail? Or is this normal? What does the finish on your 100 fish plug look like?

This one was made with:

8 dips propionate

No scuff coat (which I may consider)

Createx water based paint

Envirotex Lite topcoat.

btw - the hammered finish did not in any way impact it's effectiveness. This thing is NUTZ!

100th.jpg

no finish will lastcwm27.gifclapping.gif good question on primer..I seal with the plastic and have had bald spots(for a better word) I used no primer and fusion paint but it didn't seem to peel...I used basswood and it didn't have water soakage(paint didn't pop) wonder if a good primer would help my plugsheadscratch.gif

follower of rev Darryl Strawberry

Congrats on a great plug!! Tough to say what a plug should look like after 100 fish - but most of them will look pretty rough around the edges smile.gif.

I'm a pretty big fan of good primer to wood/sealer adhesion. Its the foundation that all other layers are built upon. Not saying that plug didn't have excellent adhesion though cause after 100 fish its a pretty tough call!!! Keep up the good work and thanks for the pretty picture smile.gif

(just sent you a PM)

Based on the photo, you have an adhesion problem. Whatever you are putting on top of the sealer (primer? paint) is not sticking to the sealer. Somewhere along the line, your clear coat was compromised, water got in, and then lifted everything else off the wood. However, after 100 fish, I would not be too concerned wink.gif Now go out and catch 100 more on the same plug biggrin.gif

Jigman

Could also be the type of cedar. That bald spot reminds me of aromatic cedar instead of eastern or western red. It is not the fish count that bothers me but the amount of use you got out of it.

Now to add to the confusion, I don't seal but I do primer.wink.gif

What Ryan and Jiggy said,,,,

Definitely an adhesion problem between the sealer and your first coat of primer/paint... If you had good adhesion there you would have spots of paint that were still stuck but the wood is clean,,,, The top of the plug has some peeling too,,, sure sign of adhesion problem,,,

[quote=labrador 1

I'm a pretty big fan of good primer to wood/sealer adhesion. Its the foundation that all other layers are built upon.

totally agree....

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

Unfortunately not much sticks to propionate, no chemical bond there. Epoxy sealer to epoxy primer, then Createx Base Coat Sealer, either white or black, then Createx paints if you choose water based. I use automotive urethanes and enamels over the epoxy primer, but I have a spray booth made for solvents.

>)))))))):> Got Sushi?

ok jig, explain that again please. how's the process.

1-swealer

2-primer

3-paint-water based or oil?

4-envirotex.

where the devcon 30 min epoxy come to play here. or what am i missing here. basically don't use primer as first step but the sealer first?. thank you for the help.confused.gif

In order for you to be respected you have to respect yourself first.Be thankful for everything you have.