Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveC

Fishing in NJ for the week of July 09 through 16, 2008

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

Fished Monmouth county Saturday morning and covered a few towns. Managed one small striper (20-24") on a chartreuse teaser and a fluke (15") on the same teaser. Missed another hit on a Tsunami Shad. Move around and managed one more fluke about the same size on a Wonderbread Bomber. Fish were all caught around structure...jetties, rips, and sandbars.

View PostWent out to the docks at Perth Amboy and was disgusted with one guy catching and keeping more than a dozen Sea Robins no bigger than 7in... What really pissed me off was that he was showing kids that its ok to toss the fish on the pier and let it suffer while they laughed and poked at it...

I know alot of people dont like them but they are still an essential part of the ocean.

oh and amazingly i caught a beer bottle... unbroken put up a hell of a fight

-- just a side note (i'll post the pic when i get home) last week my little brother caught a sea horse on a sabiki rig... not to worry he was unhurt smile.gif

If it was by the restaurant, that guy is a little coocooo......... not all there in the head if you know what I mean...... you might have noticed that if you heard him talk... I try to stay away from him.... doesnt bother me that he takes them though..... he does eat them and searobins dont have a size... and trust me, no matter how many he takes they will still be plentiful for the ecosystem..... and be careful, a lot of guys on here are very sensitive about spotburning.... cwm13.gif

With the amount of people fishin there and the few fish i see pulled in of decent size i really doubt that that can be considered spot burning...... however i'm sorry if i burned that spot....lol I really never considered that a spot.... hahahaha its been uggly there as of late... lots of garbage being washed up...

and yeah its that guy... ROFL i dont mind that he eats them rather see that than them getting tossed on the beach and left for dead....

Yesterday morning, nomoco 1/2 mile from beach, feeding the doggies. Friend reels one up with a 2 1/2' hammerhead following it. Very cool to see; was swimming around for about 10 - 15 seconds. Never seen one that small or so close to the beach. Unfortunately that was the highlight of the day. Serious wind against tide.

View PostYesterday morning, nomoco 1/2 mile from beach, feeding the doggies. Friend reels one up with a 2 1/2' hammerhead following it. Very cool to see; was swimming around for about 10 - 15 seconds. Never seen one that small or so close to the beach. Unfortunately that was the highlight of the day. Serious wind against tide.

View PostYesterday 200 yds off the beach, something of size was crusing.

drool.gif sounds like sharking time!!!

Out fluking yesterday, just bobbing up and down like a cork, and I see a shark swim by, almost 4' I would say, have never seen that before, we were in about 50' of water off MB. No idea what kind it might have been, I want to say black tip because the edges of the fins had black on them, but I dunno.

Highlight of the day though was coming back in to SRI, BiG waves slapping the L jetty, we watched a guy send his boat right at the L, last second he realizes he's in trouble, makes a hard right and guns it, gets clear of the jetty as the next wave hits him, nearly rolls him, he gets the boat righted, 'nuther hard right and back on the gas and he launches off the next wave. Gets out of there alive, but there could not have been anything left laying on the deck.....and they definitely needed to wipe.

A very close thing, 3 guys aboard, people on the beach and jetty all pointing and yelling.

South jersey, Fishin sucks, but I caught some great waves yesterday. I realized how out of shape I was when I got hammered by a set.cwm13.gif

Oh yea, lots of bunker swam by me, but they looked happy. I hate happy.

Fished IBSP yesterday. caught 1 short fluke, but was a beautiful day so didnt mind slow pace. What made my day was this guy fishing next to me. He had a 6 foot pole LOADED with what looked like bunker, the pole was pretty much a 90 degree angle when he had it on shore. The best part of this guy is he would make a running start, no joke 15 yards stop at the waters edge and toss his line maybe 10 feet. My girlfriend and i were dying every cast. Then i am putting clam on my hook with my pole in its holder he walks about 20 yards from where he is and casts right in front of me. I started laughing and he then proceded to walk back to where he was. I was so confused.

View PostFished IBSP yesterday. caught 1 short fluke, but was a beautiful day so didnt mind slow pace. What made my day was this guy fishing next to me. He had a 6 foot pole LOADED with what looked like bunker, the pole was pretty much a 90 degree angle when he had it on shore. The best part of this guy is he would make a running start, no joke 15 yards stop at the waters edge and toss his line maybe 10 feet. My girlfriend and i were dying every cast. Then i am putting clam on my hook with my pole in its holder he walks about 20 yards from where he is and casts right in front of me. I started laughing and he then proceded to walk back to where he was. I was so confused.

That is funny because I think I saw the same person there weeks ago. I never seen such a small fishing pole in a surf fishing pole holder. I think he had some type of small 4WD vehicle. Reminds me of the post I read about the guy soaking some plastic waiting for a bite. I did see the first person ever last week reeling with the reel above the rod. It is amazing what you see when you go out before dark. Kind of scary. cwm31.gif

Fished SH tonight with a spro... few shorts and sea robins... a few people of latino decent* kept a handful of shorts... Then the bite started... Those bugs are a killer.. especially on the walk to the car... 15 minutes of hell...

View PostFished IBSP yesterday. caught 1 short fluke, but was a beautiful day so didnt mind slow pace. What made my day was this guy fishing next to me. He had a 6 foot pole LOADED with what looked like bunker, the pole was pretty much a 90 degree angle when he had it on shore. The best part of this guy is he would make a running start, no joke 15 yards stop at the waters edge and toss his line maybe 10 feet. My girlfriend and i were dying every cast. Then i am putting clam on my hook with my pole in its holder he walks about 20 yards from where he is and casts right in front of me. I started laughing and he then proceded to walk back to where he was. I was so confused.

This remends me of a guy I was watching at IBSP recently, he'd hold his pole straight up at 12 oclock, race into the surf and at knee deep come to a dead stop and cast.