Fishing in NJ for the week of July 09 through 16, 2008

Rate this topic

DaveC

Almost 1/2 the time they hit the teaser. There was small bate all over last night. I fish a teaser 75% of the time. Hits to the teaser are sometimes as explosive as they are to pencils. At times you see the fish striking and missing the teaser. The teaser is 3 feet ahead of the plug.

View PostHi Surfratiam -

Do the fish eat the teaser when you are fishing a pencil? Isn't it just slapping the surface at light speed while you work the pencil?

A little late... On the boat, Friday from 7 to 10. The bluefish must be done spawning.

1/4 to 1 mile out in NoMoCo. Bluefish blitzing like I rarely seen. All were about 30" with a couple of 3 footers. Hitting spearing. Lost 2 plugs on 50# flouro so switched to wire.

Swam some live bunks, no stiped takers just more bluefish.

I love when we make way past the breakwater at first light and head out, there's nothing better, the whole rest of the world just melts away for me.

(*edited - member formerly known as 'windknot')

View PostThat plug has been a go to for me for a couple of years now. Doesn't seem to matter what the fish are eating,they just kill the thing. Eric introduced me to it and I thought he was nuts! ORANGE AT NIGHTcwm27.gifcwm27.gif!!

I guess a old dog CAN learn new tricks!

I have a few orange/gold mag darters but never had much luck with them? My go to lure is the bunker/mullet color mag darter. Also do good with the solid black although the paint comes off the black one real easy! Guess I should try the orange one more often?

Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately it will kill it's pupil!

View PostI have a few orange/gold mag darters but never had much luck with them? My go to lure is the bunker/mullet color mag darter. Also do good with the solid black although the paint comes off the black one real easy! Guess I should try the orange one more often?

Thats funny because I never had much luck with either of those.headscratch.gif Go figure

View PostThats funny because I never had much luck with either of those.headscratch.gif Go figure

The most I would say is that "luck" depends on the amount of ambient light, which varies with any given situation.wink.gif Also, when you are fishing something which your buddy used to slay them with the day before, your confidence level goes way up, increasing the way you fish it and the attention you pay to the retrieve, no?

View PostThe most I would say is that "luck" depends on the amount of ambient light, which varies with any given situation.wink.gif Also, when you are fishing something which your buddy used to slay them with the day before, your confidence level goes way up, increasing the way you fish it and the attention you pay to the retrieve, no?

Its all confidence. I'll put a plug on make two casts and say to myself "This doesn't feel right" and take it off.

View PostAwesome..... Was that the only weakie that bit or did you get more? Can't wait till they get up here

They are starting to show in numbers now but not nearly as many as there will be in another week or so, I caught the end of the tide and it was tough to keep the crackers and robins off the baits....

View PostThey are starting to show in numbers now but not nearly as many as there will be in another week or so, I caught the end of the tide and it was tough to keep the crackers and robins off the baits....

When you say the end of the tide.... do you mean end of outgoing or end of incoming?

"Only a fool knows everything. A wise man knows how little he knows."
[--Anonymous--]

Went out to the docks at Perth Amboy and was disgusted with one guy catching and keeping more than a dozen Sea Robins no bigger than 7in... What really pissed me off was that he was showing kids that its ok to toss the fish on the pier and let it suffer while they laughed and poked at it...

I know alot of people dont like them but they are still an essential part of the ocean.

oh and amazingly i caught a beer bottle... unbroken put up a hell of a fight

-- just a side note (i'll post the pic when i get home) last week my little brother caught a sea horse on a sabiki rig... not to worry he was unhurt smile.gif

I see a lot of guys keeping sea robins to eat now [they taste good]...one guy I was fishing near last week said he and his wife use them to make fishcakes, I tried one recently along with a striper i caught , not bad, tasty biggrin.gif, but would need to be large to make it worth the effort.

IBSP report from Sat 5-8. Ocean was rough with the hurricane looming in the Atlantic. Soaked some clams without a bite. It definitely looked fishy. Was there with some friends and the family. Didn't get a chance to try the fluking. It was pretty tough holding bottom.

Nice 3 day weekend for me

Fri: Boat - Round Valley

Sat: Beach

Sunday: Local Pond sunnies with the kids, nice picnic, and swimming in my pool!

Tired today but brother is begging me to do some night Round Valley Fishing for trout.

Drove down to the Island this weekend to see my folks. Got out on my quiet backbay spot early Sunday morning. Tons of spike weakfish on pink fin s. Most were around 10-13" long. I tried throwing some gulp for fluke, but nothing happening in that dept.