Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayC

Overhead light for t-top

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Anyone have a suggestion for an overhead light I can mount on the T-top or electronics box that will throw some descent light. I'm thinking RED, not white. I think it's easier on the eyes at night. I want to be sure of the switch I'm turning on/off at night, and it's hard to read them in the dark.

I wonder if a perko dome light, or a LED 20" strip light would be better. Anyone have any experience with either. Thank you.

Another idea I have been toying with is a solar light- sorry about the hijack of your thread- but perhaps you are like me and looking for a little light.

I am curious of the responses either way.

Any light I add or replace on my boat is now an LED light. I have a strip of red LEDs that I wired to the T-Top and used zip ties to secure. It's low profile, waterproof, flexible and throws a lot of light. type in superbrightleds and you should be able to find them. They look like this:

off_st.jpg

View PostAny light I add or replace on my boat is now an LED light. I have a strip of red LEDs that I wired to the T-Top and used zip ties to secure. It's low profile, waterproof, flexible and throws a lot of light. type in superbrightleds and you should be able to find them. They look like this:

off_st.jpg

Very Cool!! Thank you!!

I tried the little cluster (4)LEDs, but they are so much like a spot light instead of a flood light, that I just couldn't find a good place to put them to give me good coverage of light. Since you say the strip throws a lot of light, I think it's just what I'm looking for. Not to mention it's way more LEDs in that small space. Thanks again!

I got a dome from Boater's World that is led and allows me to switch back and forth between red and white. Not incredibley bright, but gets the job done.

A note about superbrightleds-I wired my under gunnel lighting with them-fairly big project-I haven't been impressed with their quality. Their wiring is very cheap-you can get similiar products that have tinned wire and probably many more years of service.

Good luck.

Well, It only cost me $9 for the strip, so it's not the end of the world if it doesn't hold up. I'll silicone the connections and hopefully it will last a few years. I trailer from about 5 miles from the inlet, so at least it's not sitting in the salt air 100% of the time. I should get it in the mail today, And I'm already wired and ready to go. I'll let you know how I make out, hopefully include a pic. Update to follow. Thanks for the input, I certainly do appreciate you guys sharing your experience.

View PostI got a dome from Boater's World that is led and allows me to switch back and forth between red and white. Not incredibley bright, but gets the job done.

A note about superbrightleds-I wired my under gunnel lighting with them-fairly big project-I haven't been impressed with their quality. Their wiring is very cheap-you can get similiar products that have tinned wire and probably many more years of service.

Good luck.

What's the brand so I can look it up? Is it Perko?

Red Surface mount Brake LED light. Is that too Redneck? LOL!

I wonder how much light it would throw. May be just what I want if the stip doesn't work out.

Put this baby on the bottom of my electronics box.

JayC: Oldfielder's comment about some of SuperbriteLEDs products is correct. Some of the wiring on some of the products could stand to be better. That said, the waterproof strip I posted and that you order seems to be one of the better products I have gotten from them. I think it will work well for your application and, as you said, it was only $9.

JayC-

I have to look next time I'm in boater's world-it is about 4 inches wide with a two-way switch. Nothing fancy. Good thing about the red light is I can drive the boat with it on and right in my face.

As far as the superbrights-I used some of their smaller clusters-I have no experience with any other products-what makes me most nervous is the very thin copper wire in a marine environment.

Good luck.