teasers make casting tough

Rate this topic

here fishy fishy

IMO the 5-10' lost is to be expected and the benefits of including the teaser outweights the loss. Typically I fish teasers at night when the fish are in tight and I don't get concerned about the distance loss. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Presently the bait is in very shallow water (hugging the shore) so don't concentrate on distance and work the plug right up to the beach/rocks.

JimD

JimD
SOL #38

If casting distance is an issue and a teaser is a must, my only recommendation is use a heavier plug or a metal if you want the teaser to be the main fish attractant. Usually when I'm using a teaser it is when I know the fish are within reach, and want to entice them with a smaller offering. In windy situations when the bass were a little further out and on small bait, something you're very likely to encounter in the coming months with as the anchovies get on the move, I'll use a kastmaster or hopkins justto get the teaser out there.

I find tangles to be more of a nuisance with that set-up. The teaser was constantly getting wrapped around the main line. drove me nuts. I eliminated that problem by going to the dropper loop metod of teaser attachment. Some think it effects your hook-up rate, but I've caught plenty on the teaser this way. And to answer your question, this set-up cats a little better than the 8"-10" of leader method. But in most cases you don't really need to cast that far, as was previously mentioned.

Don't sweat 5 to 10 feet off your cast. You should be doing at least 250 feet or about 83 yards. So what if you lost 10 feet off that.

When flyfishing, an 80 foot cast is considered a good cast off the beach. And, wew catch fish with those casts.

Spigola HappyWave.gif

the reason 5-10' matter in this case is the fact that some spots i fish which will remain nameless tongue.gif require that extra few feet to get into a little nitch i found to hold fish ... guess i should just work on my casting... hey an i saw before someone saying somethin about 250 feet? what? with what lure? i am usually happy with about 140 feet... of course i primarily just use bombers and the such... i have used heavier plugs and casted really far, but around here they don't have anything like you guys sell on the site... and im broke now, so i can't get any crying.gif ... its a new rod and reel and line so im just gonna get used to it and break it in and i think the distance will come with time.. it is interesting how a little fly can affect the casting though!

A couple of weeks ago, I got a double header. Fish on plug and teaser. I've seen some nights, where the fish were just hitting teasers. It also depends what they're feeding on. This will determine if I use a teaser of not. icon14.gif

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><