Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alaskansteve

its tuesday it must be time for a backcountry ride

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

we had a dump of new snow, so it was time to go track it up! put on about 50 miles, weather was ok, 25 degrees, but partly cloudy, we had flat light conditions at times & that made it hard to see what was ahead of us but when the sun came out it was crank them up & go! This is about 50 miles away from my place at a area called Hatcher Pass.

start here, first machine's in on the new snow

P3290001.JPG

in the thick of it, we do get stuck sometimes

P3290004.JPG

a regular stop at halfway to the top

P3290006.JPG

flat light so its time to regroup & fuel up

P3290007.JPG

taking a shot at a ptarmigan, he missed

P3290010.JPG

i'll have to try to come back here in the late summer & fall for some trout fishing

P3290011.JPG

finally up on top

P3290018.JPG

playing in the powder

P3290049.JPG

Steve... love the photos of the Alaskan back country. You've got me wondering...

How do you traverse the wilderness, come summer, when the snow mobiles are useless. Do you bike, tryke, or use ATVs?

PA

In the summer lots of folks hike, bike, use atv's , boats with jet outboards or airboats to get into the backcountry and the realy forutunate one's have airplanes with floats for water landings or "tundra tires" to land just about anywhere to get into the backcountry. Lots of areas are covered with old mining roads & trails. I myself commercial fish in the summer so i spend just about the whole summer on the boat trying to make enough money so i can play out in the cold all winter, but i do have a drift boat to fish for rainbows in the fall.

The right machines would be those with 2" paddle tracks & lots of horsepower like the RMK's but then we'd be going too high and getting in real trouble cwm31.gif . The polaris wide tracks we're riding have been customized with lift kits to get the back ends up(less snow packed in the tunnel), the front ends have also been lifted & the clutching has been changed for more low end power wink.gif . We mostly ride in the trees & backcountry where there are no trails so the 2 speed(hi,lo & most important reverse) transmissions also help with the slow speed deep snow riding. We also freight a lot of building supplies in during the winter on sleds, pulled up to 1500lb loads with no problems. One of the guys in the group builds all the lift kits & does all the clutch work, he's just a genius when it comes to working on these machines. He knows all the weak links and has come up with ways to beef them up so they last & don't leave us stuck out in the bush.