Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

A reel choice!

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Love the 2600.

The 4500 is garbage.

(if you do get the 4500 buy at least a dozen "dog" anti reverse parts because they will break at the worst times possible.

Not even a close comparison IMO. Penns are reliable, but that's about it. I use my 5500 for bottom fishing and it works well for that. But it will not cast well no matter what type of line you put on it.

the Diawa is a great casting reel and extremely smooth drag. Braided line doesn't dig into the spool like other reels. I believe this is why it casts so well. I've only owned one for this season so far, so we will see how durable they are.So far so good... smile.gif

The anitreverse dog problems are so notorious I'm mildly surprised that they got any votes at all. That said, the 2600' allergic reaction to getting wet is also well known, so my preferred would be Neither of the Above.

I am a big fan of the ss2600, smoothest drag going.

I own 3 of them. However, if I were going to purchase a reel of that size today it would be without question the Daiwa Capricorn 4000.

Metal body, super drag, plenty of ball bearings and it loves braid.

Just my .02

Bernzy

I started using the ss2600 2 years ago and I love it! I haven't really dunked it yet but I'll take Brians' word for it that it don't like gettin' wet. I have a spare spool (of course) and I keep mono on one and braid on the other. Right now I'm trying Spiderwire Stealth and like that too. I use it on a 2pc. 9' Tica. The rod is rated 1/2 oz. - 2oz. I think. However the rod lacks a bit on handle length and that may be hindering my casts with the Daiwa. I've gone thru lots of trials over the last few years and seem to have settled comfortably on 3 reels for various uses. The 525 Mag on a custom 10'6" heaver from Hatteras Outfitters, the Daiwa ss2600 on the Tica and the Penn 704z (no bail) on an 11' St. Croix. I'm thinking about getting some new rods to play with but I'm pretty darn happy with those reels! biggrin.gif