Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bgfshman

Stripers regs. for year 2000

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Tom Fote of JCAA has announced that the tenetative regs. for Stripers for this year are either of two possibilities. 1 fish between 24-28" and 1 over 28" or 1 fish between 24-30 and 1 over 30". Trophy program not affected. See JCAA site for details. Don't forget to attend the public hearings. They are coming up soon. Dates and place have been provided in a previous post by Nils

on 2/3/2000

[This message has been edited by Bgfshman (edited 02-05-2000).]

The rules are the rules and I will abide with what ever they are, however it has to P*** you off that some states are being given a conservation credit (I'm not positive but I think its NY and Mas.) and they have a commercial fishery and kill far more fish than NJ.

I think the one over 30 sounds okay, but one between 24-28 sounds real bad. I think allot of more fish would wind up getting killed every year. Like Steve said what ever the riles are they are, but I would have a problem killing a 26 inch bass.......

------------------

John M

I don't get it am I missing something? How is 1 fish between 24-28" and 1 over 28" a step towards convervation and cutting back on the harvest. It seems like you can still keep 2 fish but now your allowed to keep a short. With a big stretch of the imagination in some circumstances someone who has a good outing and cathing multiple fish of different sizes would be forced to keep one between 24-28 and one over 28 instead of 2 over 28. But Statisticly it just does not make sense. Think about the general fishing public. I know there are guys that can catch multible over 28 on a regular bases but there are far more that can't. The only case the fish kind of wins out is the case where a person catches multiple over 28 and can't keep one of them, but has to take a younger fish. Its still one less fish in the ocean. and even more rare occurance would be where someone could have caught multiple over 28 and can't find a 24-28 for a second fish. ANd thereby would only be able to keep one fish.

Not to mentoin the measuring error introduced. I have seen some really quesionable fish stretching and measuring. Having more measurement borders means all the more room for "advantagious approximations" in measuring the fish.

On another note I thought slot limits were to protect fish of a certain size. With this "slot limit" Fish from 24" and up will be taken instead of 28 and up.

Here is an analogy to sum up my sentiments: Suppose you have a road that people regulary speed on. THe road has alot of pedestrians. And on a semi-regular basis some pedestrian get hits by a car that is traveling reclassly over the speed limit. Something has to be done, too many pedestrians are getting hit by speeding cars. The fisheries management solution to this problem would be raise the speed limit on the road so pedestrians are not hit by illegally speeding cars.

Dan, the conservation measures are being called on to cut back on the number of 8+ year old fish being taken...so adding a 20-24" fish to your stringer will theoretically spare one 28" fish. I don't think it will work that way, as 20" fish are far easier to find for most guys than 28" fish. In theory, it's sound. I like it in that it will allow some folks who don't get out much to bring home a tender young one for the table. I don't like it in that it just adds to the fish&game nightmare that already exists. There is about a zero chance in 10,000 that you'd get caught even with a cooler full of 15" fish. Not that'd I'd try, but the wardens are spread so thin that any new regulations are just a joke. What needs to be done? In my eyes, when a charter boat captain is caught in a sting operation that costs thousands of $$ in man hours, the captains boat, car, and tackle should be sold in addition to the fines and this money should be added to the coffers to add more wardens. Won't happen though.

TimS

The point about enforcement is the first thing that comes to mind. However, it seems to me that a lot more fish will be kept overall. Now, instead of of depleting one year class, we will be depleteing two or three. It just got easier to catch a keeper. Do you think that the charter industry might be happy with the proposed rules? If conservation is truly the aim, then make it one bass over 36" per day. When we were forced to live with that rule, we saw the fishery recover. Is a 24" bass a "real" keeper anyway?

[This message has been edited by Jim B (edited 02-08-2000).]

Here is a different angle is slot limits are imposed.....Will the angler who is in it for a meal, catch his one 24-28 and maybe another at over 28 leave the beach with his catch. Instead of continually fishing until he gets his one or two fish over (28 inch )as are set by the current regulations. This scenario suggests that the numbers of fish killed by hook and release mortality may go down if the slot are imposed. I am not sure what percentage of the anglers are in it for the meal.

Personally, NJDEPs attempt to manage a migratory fish seems futile. Without the cooperation and similar mangement objectives as the other States it probably won't solve anything in the long term. It seems rather riduclous that the same fish in the Chesapeake can't be kept at 18-inches while here in has to be over 28-inches. Not very equitable. Sure we have a booming population of schoolie bass...but the food they rely on (bunker, herring) are be extracted from the ocean in huge amounts. Thats great... we have a large striper population that could go hungry. How will this affect other species...will bass turn on to juvenile weakfish or bluefish for there primary food source. What about these fish?

What are the ramifications when we micro manage a highly migratory species of fish? I am not sure....just throwing out some thoughts. At least we are trying to protect our natrual resources...unlike other nations who are destroying/detroyed theirs. Hopefully the ASMFC will do whats best for the fish.

I think the idea of a slot fish is a joke. The idea is to decrease the mortality of 8 year olf fish. Well I guess one way to reduce the mortality of 8 year old fish is to kill them at 6 years old. How much do you want to bet that if they make a 24-28 inch limit that in a year or two we will be heairng that we are killing too many 6 year olds? The number of fish being taken will sky rocket here in NJ as every hammerhead can catch 25 inch fish with out much trouble. I can see the bass in more trouble if this were to go through. I could be wrong though.

Personally I have a problem keeping 25 inch fish, There would be pressure to keep one for tournamets, I dont like that prospect even a little I hope the limit goes to one fish 36 inch inches but in leiu of that one fish at 30 would be better than tht eslot limit. I would also hope that the clubs would not allow slot fish into the tourneys.

------------------

John M

The first question I will ask at the meeting is did anyone do the math on the tonnage of bass that will be taken as everyone who wants one can take a 24" striper every day? I would expect a big increase in NJ tonnage taken. But that would up our standing with ASMFC. It seems that the more you kill the more you get from ASMFC.

On the other hand, I do like the idea that we get to take from the same pool of fish that the Chesapeake Bay commercial fishermen have had reserved to themselves for so long. As much as I enjoy watching a striper beat its tail and swim back out into the ocean, it does piss me off to know that fish might very well be killed when it gets to Maryland.

Moreover, if I want to take a fish for the table, I would much rather take a fish under 30." I like the idea of not allowing people to take more than one fish over 28" or 30," whichever comes to pass. It gives the breeders more of a chance to create even larger year classes. Hell, while we're at it, why don't we put in place a maximum size, say 40."

Mike Y

Mike I am not worried about tonnage. A 24 inch bass is 3-4 pounds a 28 inch bass is 8-9. but each one is still a fish. I am worried about the total number of fish being taken out of the system not the tonnage. This is why I am against the slot limit. The goal should not be to lower our selves to the limts down south but to raise the limits down south to our level.

While I agree I prefer smaller fish for the table I fear that if we enact a slot we will down the road hurt ourselves because i beleive we will severely hurt the yeear clases before they ever get a chance to breed then we will really be introuble. I like 1 fish 36 inches period. I have wafles for a long time on thsi isssue but this malkes the most sense to me.

------------------

John M

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Striped Bass Board passed two of the striped bass proposals for next year.The two slot limit proposals passed are: one fish between 24-28 and one fish over 28 inches. one fish between 24-30 inches and one fish over 30 inches.In either option the trophy fish would be the size of the larger fish. no final decision has been made.See jcaa for more details about third proposal and public hearing dates.

It's great to find so many more striper fishermen concerned about the future.

I just wandered into stripersonline and so far I like what I see. I'm very radical on my own opinions of what the laws should be concerning the striped bass. I think this chance at moving into a slot limit is very important, but it does not go near far enough. So far from what I've seen this is basicly a group of surf fishermen, and being limited to the narrow strip of ocean which is within casting distance of the sand. Many of you are not familar with the huge amount of fish, many big fish which are taken out of your range on !!BOATS!!. The Delaware Bay bunker chunk fishery is completely out of hand. It is common for a boat load of four fishermen to anchor up and haul up a limit of 3 bass each with all over twenty pounds. Whenever the wind is light enough to get out there will be hundreds if not thousands of boats fishing there.

The cape may rips are generally smaller fish, but very few boats come in without limits in the 28" to 36" range and there are even more boats there. Add to that the boats drifting every inlet and when the schools do make up off the beach, when you can't reach the birds the boaters are having a field day.

Granted many boaters do have the same conservation ethic as the surf jockeys, but when they take home fish, they are usually the big ones.

These are the spawners! Once a Striped bass gets to adult size he doesn't have many enemies in the wild which can attack and kill it. Because it is such a long lived species, if we can take the pressure off the cows we will assure that whatever happens to a given year class, we will always have a spawning population.

The proposed laws should possibly limit us to one or two slot fish and this tag fish should be elliminated. the tag fish is a problem, but in a sense it is a great problem to have because it is in effect the commercial allotment for New Jersey since our legislators have had the good sense to give the striped bass the gamefish stadus it so rightly deserves.

I believe ther should be an honest trophy system, but the fish would have to be over 40" and a tag to kill it would cost $50 and all funds going directly to improvement of the striped bass fishery.

Sorry to use up so much bandwith for a newcommer, but I want everyone to know wher I'm comming from and will go into more detail shortly,

Gamefish stadus coastwide now,

Guatemala Dave

These regulations are just a transfer of pressure. As I understand it we will now lower the bar for the sake of the larger fish.. How long will the bar be lowered? Sure the slot will take the pressure off some of the larger fish. That is a good thing but the numbers of fish taken will be higher. Now not only will boats, average and hardcore fisherman limit out but darn near any guy with a stick and a plug (bait) can limit more easily. Four or five years of that and we will be back where we are...less fish over 28 cause they have been taken before they got there.

I support slots. Actively managed slots. A slot based on population and set with the next slot size already planned to proactively manage the stocks. That said I am against this one. The only way to reduce pressure and build stocks is to take less fish. Then slots can manage those stocks. I wonder if the number of over 28" fish spared will be sufficient to offset the number of sub 28" fish taken in this latest round of *conservation*